Refugee Situation in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay umm.. This thread is getting way too political, sensitive and out of boundaries for this forum.

Can you guys tone it down please?

Not that there isn't truth in this video, but the tone is highly aggressive and its borderline demagogic (like showing footage from street violence that is clearly not recorded in Europe,and was just choosen to show africans indulging in violence) Any chance of removal ?
Klumpen is correct on censorship being unjustified, but I agree something more "on point" might have been better, so I've removed it...

I know where you're coming from and broadly agree with your sentiment but to me it's a little deeper than forced integration. In the UK there are some communities that are not well integrated with the 'native' populace, they have some questionable views towards women, are highly conservative in religious terms & have a lot of very unusual customs. I'm talking about Hasidic Jews. Would it have been correct to expel the initial Jewish immigrants simply because they did not integrate?

Ok maybe I did write it wrong :D But to be precise, integration to me means: The acceptance of local habits and to abide by the local law, also a general understanding / speaking of the language. I don´t want to force anyone to go along with each local cultural habit or anything. But if a "Hasidic Jew" for example treats a women like cattle, that is not our understanding (ok, it might be a fantasy for a lot of men) of treating a women, so his behavior has to change. If they insist on their way, they should go to a place where this behavior is tolerated. As long as their
customs don´t clash with the Law or is in any other mean not acceptable and they accept that there are other customs, then all is well.

I can´t tell a muslim women not to wear a head cloth, but in my opinion her husband also has no right to tell her she has to. We have that freedom here, when we go to a muslim land, our wives have to wear a head cloth and we abide, because it is the law. I am not religious at all, so my children are not christened. My mother in law wanted that very much, but as long as I have the power to oppress that, I will. But when my daughter turns 14 she will come of age for religions here in germany and I will have to accept any decision she will take then. The only thing I can do, is to point out why religions are bad in my opinion, nothing else. That is what I mean with acceptance of local habits and laws.

Okay umm.. This thread is getting way too political, sensitive and out of boundaries for this forum.

I guess threads like this are the reason why you wanted to pass on your mod job? ;)
Maybe it would be possible to make some kind of "warning, political content" mark on such threads, so that people can already expect clashing opinions/critical content on first glance (although the title is clear enough in this case) and maybe stay away altogether if they don't want such things. I guess common sense and tolerating differing opinions in general should be enough though.

From my perspective, one of the things I enjoy about this forum is the broad spectrum of posts from utter frivolity to deep debate & discussion of serious issues, ( as well as a bit of Pyra / Pandora stuff ;) ). I think that as long as things are kept civilised then this sort of debate is fine in off topic. However if there are some forum rules relating to this sort of thing then I'll be happy to stick to them. It's appreciated that you might not be up to speed with European politics but this really is a huge issue at the moment.

@Holliefant : Sounds like we're singing from the same (non religious) hymn sheet. I'm genuinely disturbed by the systematic attack on multiculturalism by the right wing media in the UK, on the mistaken belief that multiculturalism has to mean an acceptance of all cultural traits. This combined with a lamentable rise in nationalist sentiment makes for dangerous political times IMHO.

After careful discussion with other Moderators, we've all decided that this thread is too political for this forum which I might remind you all is a technical forum.

We understand your thoughts Mr_Loon, I mulled over it for a while but yes the forum rules (Where ever they are! :p) state that political / religious discussions are not welcome as they often don't end peacefully (Like this one did quite the contrary to).

It's run it's course, everyone has forgotten about it. Closing it off to prevent further discussion about the matter. If anyone wants to discuss this sort of stuff, there's plenty of other places to do so.

Let's all not forget that the media will always try to escalate the situation to get people talking even more about the topic making it by far more controversial than it really is and this thread is an example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back