The Pyra Puzzle

Almost certainly yes. Maybe not at USB3 speeds through the micro port, as I understand it the standard microUSB3 connector is wider than the microUSB2 one, and that looks the size of a microUSB2 connector to me. You will be able to wire up a USB3 OTG cable, then plug in the A-sized plug into that to get full USB3 speeds though.

This like at my charter school; they throw away the old computers (thy were from around 2007 but still very good) and we couldn't take them.  I would have loved to have a working desktop for once...
:angry:
I hear you.

Somewhat related, the college I mentioned can't use their old computers for the labs where they have classes on working with computer hardware, and build and repair computers.  Instead they buy new hardware.

I might know of someone who went into their old school and took one or more computers instead of letting them be trashed or otherwise wasted.  

I was stopped by security months after beginning to carry my buckling spring keyboard to class.  The guard (who was waiting for me) said he had seen me carrying out keyboards for a while.  If I was stealing them wouldn't it have been better to stop me early on?  If they didn't think I was why bother wasting both of our time?  Afterward another student told me he had started taking his mechanical keyboard to another class after seeing me do it for all that time, however he shoved his in his bag, probably to avoid a situation like mine.  I was nice to the guy, but by that point I had been asked why I brought my own keyboard many times, and had gotten "the look", and worse, from the woman that taught the classes I used it in because I sometimes typed while she was lecturing, and I sat front and center, right next to her.  

Well, in the US, trash is public property. Just take them from the dumpster after they put them in!
Even if the dumpster is on private property?  I refuse to divulge where the dumpster I mentioned was located.
My highschool got around this by turning a blind eye to students taking things and saving the costs of getting rid of it.... There was a massive almost skywalk on the ground that lead to a bunch of doors that went outside. They put two giant pallets with boxes and stacked up everything in it. We couldn't dig through it at lunch but we could scan.. The janitors told us to take it after school. I quite literally walked away with g3 graphite Imac. Simply walked by it grabbed the handle and kept on going.. The look on people's faces quite amusing to say the least. A mixture of shock and disbelief.

I really enjoyed that little computer. I gutted it to try to make a case mod since the apple os was unusable for browsing anything(No modern browsers or anything for it. No plugins. Internet was unusable, and finding a PPC linux that worked was tricky as most development is abandoned . (Getting it to work on my mac mini I got for 5 bucks for my school project was also insane, mainly because to make it boot  was blind since apple products fight you every step of the way to do anything to the os  :angry:   I still utterly detest apple. The only thing I'd ever get is a used mac book air because I've seen one and the keyboards are very nice.  :)  But the os would be wiped and Linux stuck on the moment  I got it plugged into a wall. :ph34r:   )

Granted now with a Pyra it will cost around the same as a used macbook air and fulfill my needs better then one ever could! Just like the pandora has.  :D

My highschool got around this by turning a blind eye to students taking things and saving the costs of getting rid of it.... There was a massive almost skywalk on the ground that lead to a bunch of doors that went outside. They put two giant pallets with boxes and stacked up everything in it. We couldn't dig through it at lunch but we could scan.. The janitors told us to take it after school. I quite literally walked away with g3 graphite Imac. Simply walked by it grabbed the handle and kept on going.. The look on people's faces quite amusing to say the least. A mixture of shock and disbelief. I really enjoyed that little computer. I gutted it to try to make a case mod since the apple os was unusable for browsing anything(No modern browsers or anything for it. No plugins. Internet was unusable, and finding a PPC linux that worked was tricky as most development is abandoned . (Getting it to work on my mac mini I got for 5 bucks for my school project was also insane, mainly because to make it boot was blind since apple products fight you every step of the way to do anything to the os :angry: I still utterly detest apple. The only thing I'd ever get is a used mac book air because I've seen one and the keyboards are very nice. :) But the os would be wiped and Linux stuck on the moment I got it plugged into a wall. :ph34r: ) Granted now with a Pyra it will cost around the same as a used macbook air and fulfill my needs better then one ever could! Just like the pandora has. :D

My grandfather found a g3 iMac several years ago.  It was actually my first computer.  I recall being perplexed with the UI (still am), and I played some basic games on it; nothing too fancy. 

About three months ago, I felt like reviving my nostalgia, and I found it sitting in the back of my grandparent's living room.  I plugged it in, and managed to get it powered on.  As a test, I tried to run Microsoft Word (not sure why it was installed), but the OS freezed up, and I had to power it off, which might have been the least wise move.  Since then, I've been thinking of doing something with it, like setting it up as a terminal or something, but I'm not sure what to do.  Any thoughts? 

-Glyph Reader

turning a blind eye to students taking things and saving the costs of getting rid of it
I have seen this a lot in schools and workplaces.  The problems arise when idiots don't take things to use them, but to sell them, and they take them to a pawn shop or whatever with the identifying markings intact.  I think the pawn shops are required to check to make sure they aren't stolen, which then puts the seller and the people who looked the other way at risk.  I have seen this go successfully when people have sold rugged storage and shipping containers like Hardigg or Pelican type cases (a quick buck since they were headed to a dumpster, but why not let those that would use them have them?).  A less successful attempt that resulted in police involvement included HDDs with trays for swapping (I can't recall the correct term atm).

Maybe.  Basically they are metal enclosures that were used so different users could have their own install of whatever OS when they used the computer.  Now VMs are used.  I have become quite good at killing VMs.

Maybe.  Basically they are metal enclosures that were used so different users could have their own install of whatever OS when they used the computer.  Now VMs are used.  I have become quite good at killing VMs.
Probably caddies. "Caddy" is basically a generic term for any kind of aftermarket protective housing that doesn't need to be removed to insert the media. (Some early CD-ROM drives used ones that looked sort of like 3.5" floppies scaled up to 5.25" and the ones to allow hot-swapping with SCSI or compatible SATA controllers have always been popular in places where RAID is used to ensure uptime.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back