The Pandora Port Request Thread

Chip

[Insert Custom Title Here]
Website
chipandre.com
If you would like to suggest an open source program to be ported to the Pandora, this is the place to do it.

Please search the forums to make sure it hasn't already been suggested and try to determine if the program can be ported before posting your suggestion.

Edit: Merging threads is awkward. I had to take over the 1st post (Sorry CTF). Original post is as follows:

CronoTriggerfan said:
I just ran across it today, here's the official site. As a huge fan of 2D side-scrollers and Mario, I must say this is a great, highly-polished little game! I'd love to see it come to Pandora if anyone would be willing to port it!

And yes, it's open-source and for Linux. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
PlopperZ said:
Very good chance, considering there's a GP2X port.
Is there really? Man, I missed out on a lot, I guess. I only owned my GP2x for a year after the release, I promptly sold it for the PSP. :(

icurafu said:
The GP2X port is unplayable so hopefully it'll be full speed on the Pandora.

EDIT: Sold you GP2X for PSP?!? o0

Do you really think the Pandora is for you?
Um it's not totally unreasonable, really. The PSP has many of the emulators of the GP2X plus access to the PS1 and PSP library and AFAIK it has better media capabilities (open to correction on this one).

The Pandora will of course have all of the above (with the probable exception of the PSP library), so it's far easier to choose a Pandora over a PSP than it is to choose a 2X over one.

yeah, but if you have a gp2x you can behave like an elitist asshole, which is why _I'M_ buying a pandora (kidding)

ha ha. I guess the GP2X had a a flaw or two to begin with so it is understandable.

But the reverse can also be said. I came from PSP to GP2X. Maybe the new lite one is ok, but the one I had. (Japanese import before Australia got them) was awful. The screen was a washout and the nub was little better than the nub on my dell laptop.

Back then the games were bad, but looking now, I notice only 1 game with a review score higher than 90% at metacritic. Anyway, the negative PSP experiance and the positive GP2X experience is probably explain my opinion on the PSP for homebrew, even though I haven't touched one for years.

Why the hell are the recommended specs so high?

Recommended:

Processor: 1 GHz
Video Card: 128 MB OpenGL Compatible 3D Accelerated Graphics Card
RAM: 512MB
Sound Card
1024x768 Screen Resolution
24 Bit True Color Display
Joypad

All that for a mario clone? It boggles my mind, seriously.

ashdjones said:
Why the hell are the recommended specs so high?
All that for a mario clone? It boggles my mind, seriously.
It's not just a Mario clone It's basically a framework for platform games. Not just that, but it's quite an advanced one too.

It includes a level editor that lets you create and test levels on the fly (which will be a lot of fun on the Pandora's touch screen :D).
The graphics are easily replaceable for completely different styles of games and the levels themselves can be built horizontally or vertically.
Add on to that all the code implemented for weather effects that varies the gameplay and things like slippy blocks, hidden rooms, tons of power ups, end of level bosses and the soon to be built under water levels, and you have a great foundations for building new games on :)

CronoTriggerfan said:
Is there really? Man, I missed out on a lot, I guess. I only owned my GP2x for a year after the release, I promptly sold it for the PSP. :(
Wow, indeed you did. I'd still pick one up if I spotted a good deal, if I were you :)

Alex. said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Wow, indeed you did. I'd still pick one up if I spotted a good deal, if I were you :)

Eh, I think I'll pass. To be honest with you, I'm still glad I sold the GP2x for the PSP, anyways. The homebrew community and emulation options were far bigger on the PSP than the GP2x, so it wasn't a total loss. :p Besides, all the money I have to my name at the moment is in my Pandora fund, I'd hate to break into that!

Being a modder, though, it would be sweet to score a cheap one to mess around with, once the price drops after time; then again, I thought the GP32 would get cheap after the release of the GP2x, damn was I wrong! :lol:

Cube and Cube 2: Sauerbraten: http://cubeengine.com

The hardware requirements are quite low for Cube 1, i ran it on my 900mhz duron machine with 128MB of ram and integrated graphics back in the day! It's likely a gp2x port would've existed if it had OpenGL acceleration. As the Pandora will support OpenGL ES 2.0, it looks like a port of this wouldn't be too difficult, plus cube 1 has simply massive amounts of downloadable content in the form of user-created maps. The map editor is built into the engine, and can be used any time ingame by pressing a hotkey.

of course they are free & sourcecode for both games are readily available. they're both in C++ except a small amount of netcode i believe which is C (see the code and compiler makefiles).

Cube 2 is superior in many ways including shaded and bumpmapped surfaces, a better, room-over-room capable engine, but bigger files etc. It's obviously much more system-intensive, I'm guessing it'd need more than 128mb of ram on the PC to load content, but the port could use more compressed textures and resources... maybe? on the 800x480 screen it wouldn't be very noticeable at all =P

There is a thread on the official Cube forum, here: http://cubeengine.com/forum.php4?action=di...;thread_id=1864
Their forum is very minimalist and doesn't require registration, just type a username and email and post ;)

First time I heard about pandora it was when some guy in Secret Maryo Chronicles irc channel was talking about it ;)

desowin said:
First time I heard about pandora it was when some guy in Secret Maryo Chronicles irc channel was talking about it ;)
Yeah, we need more people to spread the word like that :D (speaking of which, I just started a thread on macrumors.com)

I've not seen this before either, and it looks pretty cool, especially since it's a platform to create similar games on. Give me this and a good supply of tower defense games, and I'm good to go! :D

I had no idea there were so many good open source engines floating around for linux.

This one looks quite good too. So, now we just ask someone to port it :D

Back