The Pandora Has Landed

It'd be really really nice if we could come up with an OPEN design for a case that could be printed on a Cupcake/Makerbot or something .. I mean, I know the quality won't be so high, but at least we could get something decent working ..

DaveC, any chance you can be convinced to work on an OpenSCAD-based model of the Pandora?

mindlord said:
My cousin is a professional aluminium machinist. I am tempted to have him cnc me a case out of a solid aluminum brick, with a special port for running a wifi antenna around the outside. But, the steampunk fan in me really wants one out of wood, so I can put some nice brass fittings on there as well.

Q-Q-Q-Quote Pyramid BREAKER!

I would pay for an aluminum pandora case... to match my aluminum MacBook.
But It needs to be black around the screen, to keep the colors right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since they did (Briefly) post the external CAD model files, those who downloaded them have the outer dimensions very accurately defined.
It is only a matter of 3D scanning or using a good set of calipers to define the interior extents and mounting points from a delivered Pandora case set to come up with a workable 3D CAD model.
The size of the Pandora case components is perfect for a Makerbot Cupcake.
I also see that the Makerbot folks are coming up with a 0.2mm extrusion head resolution upgrade from the current 0.3mm.
Hmmm.....

I will probably wait for replacement cases to be available for sale and spray-paint one.

Creature XL said:
Consequence9 said:
mindlord said:
My cousin is a professional aluminium machinist. I am tempted to have him cnc me a case out of a solid aluminum brick, with a special port for running a wifi antenna around the outside.
I would gladly suck your dick everyday for a year for one those

for real tho, I'd put down some serious cash for that, so if u ever end up getting that done hit me up
I would definitely NOT do anything to your "thing" :)
HOWEVER, I would drop some cash for an aluminium case as well.

depending on the cost i would also be interested in one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
CNCing cases shouldn't be nearly as expensive, but it is wasteful in materials, and more expensive in the long run. injection is great if you're doing a billion, or need them all at the same time. CNC is great for prototypes and for small batches (Like people here are requesting) and may not be able to get the same level of detail as injection molding. CNC is also more effective for multiple materials, so you could use the same 3d model for plastic, metal, wood or plexiglass!

Back