The Pandora Has Landed

God Ginrai said:
rabidpoobear said:
God Ginrai said:
atari_eric said:
atomicthumbs said:
This thread reminds me: I am going to take my Pandora case and a pair of calipers and spend a while making a 3D model so I can CNC my own out of fine hardwood.
Pity atomicthumbs didn't get the CNC data straight from /copydir (or whoever designed the case) - the hardwood cases would have been finished before the plastic ones :p
Wow, how much of this topic did you read? /copydir had nothing to do with the design of the cases. He just expressed an interest in atomicthumbs idea. The OP, DaveC designed the case.

And really, how long have you guys been on the forums? 95% of atomicthumbs' posts are completely tongue-in-cheek.

Yea, I don't expect serious things from atomicthumbs anymore, no offense. >.> I just expect hilarity to ensue whenever I see a post by him.

-God Ginrai
Wow, he's going pro. I was gonna do mine by hand.

In other news: Quotepyramid!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Confuzed said:
God Ginrai said:
rabidpoobear said:
God Ginrai said:
atari_eric said:
atomicthumbs said:
This thread reminds me: I am going to take my Pandora case and a pair of calipers and spend a while making a 3D model so I can CNC my own out of fine hardwood.
Pity atomicthumbs didn't get the CNC data straight from /copydir (or whoever designed the case) - the hardwood cases would have been finished before the plastic ones :p
Wow, how much of this topic did you read? /copydir had nothing to do with the design of the cases. He just expressed an interest in atomicthumbs idea. The OP, DaveC designed the case.

And really, how long have you guys been on the forums? 95% of atomicthumbs' posts are completely tongue-in-cheek.

Yea, I don't expect serious things from atomicthumbs anymore, no offense. >.> I just expect hilarity to ensue whenever I see a post by him.

-God Ginrai
Wow, he's going pro. I was gonna do mine by hand.

In other news: Quotepyramid!

When I get mine, I'm going to make molds of the pieces and cast them out of chocolate. It will be delicious.

QUOTE PYRAMID

My cousin is a professional aluminium machinist. I am tempted to have him cnc me a case out of a solid aluminum brick, with a special port for running a wifi antenna around the outside. But, the steampunk fan in me really wants one out of wood, so I can put some nice brass fittings on there as well.

Q-Q-Q-Quote Pyramid BREAKER!

that's what an OTG port does. It isn't new tech, and phones use it. It works bidirectioinally, and I believe you can even hook up 2 pandoras together! (Kinda pointless with Wifi though)

If I had the CAD files, I'd just print out a replacement case on a Makerbot/Cupcake or something .. in fact I'd really, really like to do this ..

/me fires up OpenSCAD .. "naaaah!" ..

andyB911 said:
Creature XL said:
How is the screen and the controls?
could you play vertical arcade games with it?

Now the vertical Mame question is a blast from the past ! :D

Dave - thanks for your feedback and obviously for all the work you put into this. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the controls 'in-game', but by all account so far all who have used are happy.

And even more looking forward to seeing the handiwork face to face. Try as hard as I can, its impossible now not to start getting excited.

Well sure you can play vertical games. It is up to the coders to just flip the screen and do 2X pixel mapping. They do it now on the Wiz so it shouldn't be a big deal. You can just map some of the keyboard buttons in vertical mode as fire etc.

Butterman said:
I didn't do pictures as others already have so it would just be repetition.

What?! NOO! MORE PICTURES!
Pictures? Well here is something you won't see anywhere else, pics from the CAD design data. Yes they are a bit blurry, it hides the magic ;)

mindlord said:
My cousin is a professional aluminium machinist. I am tempted to have him cnc me a case out of a solid aluminum brick, with a special port for running a wifi antenna around the outside.
I would gladly suck your dick everyday for a year for one those

for real tho, I'd put down some serious cash for that, so if u ever end up getting that done hit me up

Did you draw that up in AutoCAD? I'm a drafter, and would have thought that a more 3d solid modeling program would have been easier to use. I use Acad everyday at work, and hate doing anything in 3d with it. We use Unigraphics for 3d work, and Acad for 2d.

Nice looking drawing!

T.Willey said:
Did you draw that up in AutoCAD? I'm a drafter, and would have thought that a more 3d solid modeling program would have been easier to use. I use Acad everyday at work, and hate doing anything in 3d with it. We use Unigraphics for 3d work, and Acad for 2d.

Nice looking drawing!
Hell no. I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with AutoCAD (for 3D). It is good for drafting but not for 3D modeling.

I used a little known program called KeyCreator (formerly CadKey). It is a direct "explicit" modeler and is much faster for last minute unexpected changes than something parametric like SolidWorks. It actually has much in common with UG except the price, it is a lot cheaper.

Pictures? Well here is something you won't see anywhere else, pics from the CAD design data. Yes they are a bit blurry, it hides the magic ;)

quick!....zoom in on that.....rotate left....enhance!!!! AH-HA!

all your base secrets now belong to us :D

Very nice DaveC, thanks for posting the picture. I've been wondering what the hinge layout was like.

Great technical drawing DaveC, I'd love a Pandora in those colours ;) .

View Posthobbyman II, on 13 February 2010 - 10:28 AM, said:
All your base secret are belong to us :D

Fixed that for you :)

thanks, main screen turn on, at least somebody set me up the bomb, I have no hope, make your piece, HAHAHA!

I gotta get myself the flash for that, it was so funny yet cool at the same time :D B)

Consequence9 said:
mindlord said:
My cousin is a professional aluminium machinist. I am tempted to have him cnc me a case out of a solid aluminum brick, with a special port for running a wifi antenna around the outside.
I would gladly suck your dick everyday for a year for one those

for real tho, I'd put down some serious cash for that, so if u ever end up getting that done hit me up
I would definitely NOT do anything to your "thing" :)
HOWEVER, I would drop some cash for an aluminium case as well.

Back