The Pandora has arrived

eggman

Still Fresh
Well, as I've posted in a few other places I upgraded to Premium once I found out about it, and a few days later I had a Pandora coming my way. My initial impressions were not so great (that is why I delayed posting).. Several snags right off the bat. First there were a couple items that most other orders got from my understanding missing from mine (the quick start guide and battery case). Secondly the stylus was being particularly stubborn about being removed from the case (I didn't want to try too hard as I didn't want to break anything). Once I gave it enough effort I was able to free it from the case. Now that I've been using it for about a day the process has become easier (no big deal). After I walked through the initial setup, I was up and running within a matter of a few minutes.

The final sang was figuring out WiFi, I knew from reading around it would likely be a bit on the buggy/slow side. I however, was not aware I needed to toggle WiFi on/off to use it. So I initially thought wifi wasn't working at all, but thought it is tested at the factory, how could this be? I must be missing something. After a bit of poking around, I figured out how to enable WiFi and had that up and running.. but it was very slow. I poked around these handy forums and found a newer beta driver and that appears to have addressed the WiFi issues for the time being.

All snags aside, they seem fairly normal from what I've been reading. I expected to run into a few snags when I first got the device, its incredible for what it is. They keypad/keyboard is really easy to use and the nubs feel great! There are so many things one can accomplish with a Pandora! Huge thank you toward the Pandora Team, I truly appreciate all your hard work put into making this happen. I am thrilled to become a more active part of this community.

Thank you, we do monitor and keep track of customer feedback (especially now the unit is $500) and we know there are ease of use issues when you first get it. I promise you this is being worked on and the situation will improve drastically over the summer.

I'd glad you're enjoying the Pandora,

All the best,

Craig

Yep, we are already working on it.

The next big OS version is heavily being worked on at the moment but we're also working on HF6 for the current OS, which will have improvements in usability as well.

MiniMenu will be able to automatically install, remove and update your PNDs, as will PNDStore for XFCE.

No more manual downloading and placing PNDs on your card (though you can still do that if you want).

I'm also working on user manuals and mini tutorials that help you get into your Pandora.

The user will have the choice to start a quick tutorial after the First Start Wizard.

A lot of things are currently being improved.

Is there a way to test newer OS versions? I'm willing to build them myself as well... :D

I've seen a Pandora firmware URL floating around, are those images the best way to test new features?

Is there a way to test newer OS versions? I'm willing to build them myself as well... :D

I've seen a Pandora firmware URL floating around, are those images the best way to test new features?

Yes, openpandora.org/firmware is the way to get the latest builds.

I usually build regular images whenever I want to test some new feature :)

I'm also working on user manuals and mini tutorials that help you get into your Pandora.

I was thinking about this recently. Would a set of small tutorials hosted on the wiki be helpful to you? Stuff like "how to enable wifi" "how to change nub mode" "how to change your clock speed" etc etc. I think these sorts of things could be helpful to 'noobs' and be something that just about anyone could contribute. What do you think?

I was thinking about this recently. Would a set of small tutorials hosted on the wiki be helpful to you? Stuff like "how to enable wifi" "how to change nub mode" "how to change your clock speed" etc etc. I think these sorts of things could be helpful to 'noobs' and be something that just about anyone could contribute. What do you think?
This sounds like a good idea to me, I'd be willing to help write some.

I'd be very happy to read some. Even if the info is available elsewhere, knowing there's a particular point one can go to for immediate help would be nice.

I'd be very happy to read some. Even if the info is available elsewhere, knowing there's a particular point one can go to for immediate help would be nice.

You might want to check out this page on the Wiki already. Info about nubs and setting clock speeds are on their own pages already (easily found via a search).

Back