The new website

Mr_Loon

Can't Remember
Hi ED,

Got a few questions regarding the new website.

1) Is the new website difficult to update? I notice that the front page still refers to emulatators. Must admit that I rather like the sound of the word emulatators but it does strike me as being a little unprofessional that the official site cannot spell one of the devices main functions correctly. Minor point I know but little things like that do stick in the mind of potential customers. If the homepage of the new site is difficult to update then sadly it is not really fit for purpose.

Edit : Emulatators is now fixed :)

2) Is it possible to implement a consistent nav bar throughout the site & forums?

3) It appears that all links and mentions of the repo have been removed from the website / Forum Nav Bar, is this deliberate?

Answer from ED for Q3 :

It's only temporarily gone until I find the time to finish the navigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed this also strange that the links to software have been removed from the forum (apart from the rss feed)

I was wondering if anyone else, apart from me, has noticed that the "Order" link only appears and works on the Firefox browser and not on Internet Explorer.  I'm sure you guys already know this right?  I use IE and am saving to buy a Pandora, but have just realised that I can only do this through Firefox.

I was wondering if anyone else, apart from me, has noticed that the "Order" link only appears and works on the Firefox browser and not on Internet Explorer.  I'm sure you guys already know this right?  I use IE and am saving to buy a Pandora, but have just realised that I can only do this through Firefox.
It's a conspiracy by M$, I tells ya.

Thanks for fixing the 'emulatators'!

The new site is wider than the Pandora's screen in Firefox.

The space between the feature labels and the stuff on the right could probably be reduced.

Maybe move the FAQ, Contact, and forum links elsewhere and move the right side inward.

The site is designed for a fixed width, not variable, so it probably makes sense to keep at the width it is currently at in order to look better on desktop browsers.

Shrinking it to 800 pixels wide would look a bit small on a desktop. It's all a compromise in webdesign.

The new site is not fixed width. It shrinks if you adjust the browser size much like this forum does.

However, at its smallest size it doesn't fit the Pandora's screen.

The white-space in the middle could be reduced more when it is at its smallest size to accommodate the Pandora.

Not a big deal just pointing it out in case someone was going to look at the site design again.

Still wondering if the new site is fit for purpose, visiting it from the perspective of a new / potential customer makes me think that sadly it is not.

Minor problem : In the small print at the bottom of the page is a carefully hidden link to the latest firmware, it leads here due to a typo : firmare instead of firmware.

Still wondering if it would be possible to add consistent & relevant (link to repo etc.) navigation to the website & forum.

Still wondering if the new site is fit for purpose, visiting it from the perspective of a new / potential customer makes me think that sadly it is not.
Well, I have a completely different page in mind, but I am no web designer nor can I really code web stuff.

I'd like to integrate it more with the forum... i.e. have the same header with links, and more information below.

The video is fine, well presented, but there's no consistency between the boards and the website, and a lot of information is missing there.

I could ask Gadgetoid if he wants to work on a new page, or change the current one so that it does fit within the boards.

The board software is pretty neat - you can use parts of it for your own website, so it should be possible using the header and top menu :)

Otherwise, without anyone who'd really want to work on this, I can't do much.

Minor problem : In the small print at the bottom of the page is a carefully hidden link to the latest firmware, it leads here due to a typo : firmare instead of firmware.
Fixed 

Still wondering if it would be possible to add consistent & relevant (link to repo etc.) navigation to the website & forum.
Already is on the boards...?

Just to Add to that

IE8 and IE9 don't show the "navigation" on the right side of OpenPandora.org (including the "order now" button). Maybe thats something Gadgetoid has a quick fix for ?

Last edited by a moderator:
>the video is fine

Well, apart from it being flash. I saw some html5 video of the same thing here on the boards, what happened to that?
I disagree...  for one thing it doesn't seem to work in firefox on linux... - the sound plays but there is no video.   Given that you are trying to advertise what is essentially a linux pc, this would seem to be somewhat counter-productive.

For another, I find websites that automatically play media like that very off-putting.

To put it simply I do not feel comfortable directing  potential customers to that site. 

- Neelix

I disagree...  for one thing it doesn't seem to work in firefox on linux...
It's not just Linux; I reported this issue months ago for Windows. Seems it does work for some, but not all. Not good. :(

Chrome + windows 7 here and it works fine.

I would start the video without sound too, or wait for users to start it themselves.

But it is not much of a problem, since everything is inside the screen, you can quickly see where the sound is coming from if you wish it off.

Kubuntu 12.04 with Firefox, tried with flash and with webm, and video works fine.

Chrome + windows 7 here and it works fine.

I would start the video without sound too, or wait for users to start it themselves.

But it is not much of a problem, since everything is inside the screen, you can quickly see where the sound is coming from if you wish it off.
Not if there is nothing on the "screen"...

Back