Votes: 131 40.3%
  • Logo Nr. 3

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Logo Nr. 4

Votes: 131 40.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my friend who is a professional graphic designer and does a lot of work in logo making for small businesses said she likes 1 and 2 the best, 4 while she liked it said it looked like a tribal tattoo.. Well I voted 4 before asking her, so I'm not going to change it.. I guess I don't see too many tribal tattoos.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is looking like a tribal tattoo even considered to be a bad thing?

It's not like picking the logo means everyone is forced to tattoo it to their forehead...

I would never get myself a tattoo, tribal or otherwise, but we're talking about a backlit logo on the lid of a small niche electronic device here. You're not going to scare anyone with it, even if the logo would look like a very aggressive pointy death metal tribal hell's angel tattoo. Not that any of the proposals look like that.

I like 4th logo as it's smooth and you can make sense out of it (dp). And that's clearly dp and not ф as some suggested.

Being a tribal tatoo is a good thing, a temporary tatoo can be more practical than a t-shirt if you want to tell the others you're pyra supporter or owner.

I'd really like to have a big logo by SNESFAN on the back of pyra though. Current logos are good when they're small (maybe slightly bigger then pandora logo on the back of it).

Surely I am not the only one who thinks that this ...

pyralogo20-sm-i.png

has much more graceful lines than #4 - while also having most, if not all, of its other desirable attributes.

Well my friend who is a professional graphic designer and does a lot of work in logo making for small businesses said she likes 1 and 2 the best, 4 while she liked it said it looked like a tribal tattoo.. Well I voted 4 before asking her, so I'm not going to change it.. I guess I don't see too many tribal tattoos.
For sake of completeness, did you ask her about 3?
Personally, I dislike them all, so I'm not voting.

I guess I don't see too many tribal tattoos.
Yeah. It just seem like you can say that about all the logos.
So why did his girlfriend and me said it only for the n°4?

Tribal tattoo fact isn't a big deal to me, it's the fact that it looks agressive and foreign because it's verticale and symmetric, while the lid is horizontale and symmetric that is annoying.

Tribal tattoo looking + Vertical vs Horizontal + Backlit: is too much.

Come On logo #4! You can make it to the top! You're almost there! :)

I am more of a fan of round lines other than angular. Angular gives me more of a serious impression but since I will use the pyra for entertainment, I prefer the rounder lines which gives me a fun impression.

IMO a good version of that logo could be done.

113887_cgeu-8k-zI-DP-logotzs.jpg

Good work, very well balanced, way less agressive.
So, weird. IMO this seem even closer to the complaints you where saying.

Then I can't really see a flame in that. Like the logo was taken and then smooshed together.

As well as plain looking on top of that.

I think it's pretty clear by now that we need another vote with only 2 and 4. Nobody can know how the votes from 1 (and 3) will distribute to 2 and 4, I doubt it's even.

People are voting 4 because they want a logo that looks the same up and down, possibly also because other similar designs were popular, it would not only be interesting to see how the other votes contribute to 4.

It would be interesting to see how the votes that 4 (and 1 2 3) distribute to other things.

2 is perhaps just the best looking option from whats on the board, i think many logos would prove more popular given the chance.

If you want a dp design, why not http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14915-finding-a-proper-name-and-logo/page-67#entry311916/URL]

If you want a flame design, why not http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14915-finding-a-proper-name-and-logo/page-29#entry294463/URL]

An exclusive vote with few options, vague terms, and known results is not a good idea to gauge interest. Nor is it a very decisive pick.

If one wants to go with a unpopular idea and not a popular one, then do so, after a fair vote, or explain matters.

I don't have anything against an executive decision, i have a problem with how its done. In my opinion it is hurting the process of finding the best logo.

If me and others are wrong about what we like, then we bow to the majority, no problem, if something is picked and yet not _the most_ popular, fine also.

But i don't understand avoiding the issue, that is the worst possible decision to make.

Seeing as the naming vote was turbulent, why not just let those people get an answer instead of hearing about it after the voting.

That mostly takes care of itself.

From the 77 pages long thread on designs, hardly anything is represented here. That was a thought process directly from within the community. To conclude much of the sentiment that has come up and isnt acknowledged here.

• Things that don't look the same up and down on the lid, should not be on the lid.
  • Emblems that look like other letters, eyrd and so on, the letters in 4 was originally a and p/URL]  to spell p-y-r-a, so why is it d-p now?
  •  logos that someone else own, if you cant refrain from duplicating others, you cant have the right to protect it as your own.
dp_01.jpg

People are voting 4 because they want a logo that looks the same up and down
Then why don't they vote for #3 ? It also looks the same up and down.

I think it's pretty clear by now that we need another vote with only 2 and 4. Nobody can know how the votes from 1 (and 3) will distribute to 2 and 4, I doubt it's even.
Yes, another poll, with only #2 and #4, and without the "PYRA" text (or both in the same font) to avoid people choosing a font instead of a logo.

Also, I think some variants of both proposals should be shown, to give people some idea of how those logo concepts can be tweaked. I haven't seen any variant of #2 yet, but for #4 there are several, including this one:

Surely I am not the only one who thinks that this ...

pyralogo20-sm-i.png

has much more graceful lines than #4 - while also having most, if not all, of its other desirable attributes.

Because the colour on 3 is removed, rendering it non-working. Colour isnt a level playing field, some colours work with some shapes, others dont. Some colours are better than others to achieve a result, red is most often used for a reason.

Some logos dont work at all without colouring, 3 almost works, which is a terrible way to do logos, reproducibility is key. You cant remove the colour and pretend its the same logo.

The aestetics of a logo can also be judged by a vote. It seems this is an art of deception, and it is, which is not something that sways popularity, that _is_ popularity.

I would say this isnt a problem, because if the logo threads has thought me anything, its that people like what people like, when they see it. Also, logos that cannot be reproduced in black and white is vehemently avoided by a surprisingly large amount of community members.

They want a logo thats monochrome two-colour, ideally. Thats the common ground.

The reason i personally think the logo you linked doesn't work is because its reminiscent of a 70s design. Not compuiter 70s, but LSD 70s. I could be 100% wrong, and id like to be, lets see with a vote.

I think http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14915-finding-a-proper-name-and-logo/page-51#entry306379/URL] is the best logo you have done, its magical, and captures for me, what i think you tried to do with the above.

Edit2: The reasons tribal tattos are bad is because they look wonky, and have nothing to do with the europeans that wear them. Other than of course the connotation of prison life and steroids.

As a logo for a gaming handheld they send the wrong message, one that isnt fire, but is instead crime.

Edit: to explain, when you account for all the imminent changes people want to see done onto the nr 2 option in this poll, you end up with what i linked, and if you really get into it, the pepsi logo. Which interestingly pepsi doesnt use anymore.

And for good reason i think, its not a great design. Think about it, they dropped their design, i cant even imagine how much money they poured into it, how much it kept familiarity. But that was dragging it down, they were bold, came up with a bold design.

http://hdwallpapersrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Best-Pepsi-Logo.png

Seems they have started messing with borders and stuff now, much like the olympic rings.

Yes, another poll, with only #2 and #4, and without the "PYRA" text (or both in the same font) to avoid people choosing a font instead of a logo.

Also, I think some variants of both proposals should be shown, to give people some idea of how those logo concepts can be tweaked. I haven't seen any variant of #2 yet, but for #4 there are several, including this one:
#1 is (in my opinion) also just a bad version of this much better looking design: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14915-finding-a-proper-name-and-logo/page-29#entry294463/URL]
I agree with comradekingu, I'm puzzled by EDs choice of voting options.

#1 is (in my opinion) also just a bad version of this much better looking design: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14915-finding-a-proper-name-and-logo/page-29#entry294463/URL]

I agree with comradekingu, I'm puzzled by EDs choice of voting options.
De gustibus, coloribus, mulieribus et pyralogibus non est disputandum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back