Votes: 131 40.3%
  • Logo Nr. 3

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Logo Nr. 4

Votes: 131 40.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
There needs to be another poll without the word Pyra under the logos.

This variant of #4:

pyralogo20-sm-i.png

with #2's Pyra font.
The flame is nearly, if not lost, in this version.
In my opinion, the exact opposite is true: the above variant has more flame than the original #4, because there is no distracting circle, the stem of the d is more flame-like, and the flame itself (the top of the P) extends to the same height as the stem of the d, which makes it more prominent than the original #4.

Given that my vote was based more on which I disliked least as opposed to which I liked most, I've been trying to understand why I dislike #4 so much.  I think a big part of it is that the lettering (in the logo itself) is in lower case which gives it a 'wrong' feeling.   I can't help feeling that the lower case lettering detracts more than benefits gained from being an ambigram.  Of course that's entirely a matter of personal preference on my part,  but it does leave #2 as the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

*shrugs*

- Neelix
The original #4 does indeed spell "dp" in lowercase. The variant above spells "dP" though. I don't know if that is better or worse according to your case-sensitive aesthetics :)

Strategic voting ruins results and may in some cases result in the will of the late majority be swayed by the early minority. Consider a vote with three options: A, B and C. The first 100 voters vote A(10), B(40), C(50). The next 200 would vote A(100), B(50), C(50) IF they could not see the current results. Now that they do, one by one the A voters choose to vote B or C because they don't want the closest competitor to win. In total, they vote A(40), B(90), C(70) The actual will of the voters is A(110), B(90), C(100), but the actual result ends up being A(50), B(130), C(120). Notice how the order is actually reversed from ACB to BCA.

Vote honestly.

Why don't we have a Pie themed logo to choose?  It could be whichever flavor each of us likes to imagine.

In my opinion, the exact opposite is true: the above variant has more flame than the original #4, because there is no distracting circle, the stem of the d is more flame-like, and the flame itself (the top of the P) extends to the same height as the stem of the d, which makes it more prominent than the original #4.
I'm with Natsu on this one. The reason the d and p in the original #4 look like a flame is due to the swish in the edges of the round part that make it look like a flickering flame. The swish in yours, is not in the round part, but extends the whole edge of the P or the d, so it doesn't look like a flame at all. Instead, it looks like Daggers, with rapier-like hand guards.

-God Ginrai

I sure hope I never have to pick out a DVD to watch with you nutbags.
*lol* We all know these situations. Good example of why democracy does seldomly work. :D

I recently read a study stating that playing video games exercises the overall decisiveness and gamers have way less problems choosing something, maybe that's the problem:

Most people here know what they want and can't be influenced easily to choose something different, but nearly everyone tries this with the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that my vote was based more on which I disliked least as opposed to which I liked most, I've been trying to understand why I dislike #4 so much.  I think a big part of it is that the lettering (in the logo itself) is in lower case which gives it a 'wrong' feeling.   I can't help feeling that the lower case lettering detracts more than benefits gained from being an ambigram.  Of course that's entirely a matter of personal preference on my part,  but it does leave #2 as the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

*shrugs*

- Neelix
The original #4 does indeed spell "dp" in lowercase. The variant above spells "dP" though. I don't know if that is better or worse according to your case-sensitive aesthetics :)
If anything that's worse!    it would be like putting the Initial capital in the middle of the sentence. :p

- Neelix

*shrugs*

- Neelix
If anything that's worse!    it would be like putting the Initial capital in the middle of the sentence. :p

- Neelix
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of camelCase myself. But since it are in fact two different words, I prefer to see it as an abbreviation for

dragonbox
PYRA

or something like that, and then abbreviating it to a mixed-case dP kind of makes sense. Also it is nice to avoid "DP" because that abbreviation has other meanings (and Diet Pepsi, Daft Punk, Deep Purple, DisplayPort, Democratic Party are not the ones I'm worried about).

I don't see that mixing the case really helps avoid that association. 

Changing the letters to DB instead of DP would work better for that. :)   It could be done as "db" in a similar style to what you've suggested - though you'd have to give up the ambigram,  and of course it wouldn't help me with my issues with lowercase.    :unsure:

That said I also have an irrational dislike for the idea of abbreviating DragonBox Pyra as DP anyway (irrespective of other associations)  so perhaps without that I would find the lowercase lettering more tolerable.  *shrugs*

- Neelix

I don't see that mixing the case really helps avoid that association. 

Changing the letters to DB instead of DP would work better for that. :)   It could be done as "db" in a similar style to what you've suggested - though you'd have to give up the ambigram,  and of course it wouldn't help me with my issues with lowercase.    :unsure:

That said I also have an irrational dislike for the idea of abbreviating DragonBox Pyra as DP anyway (irrespective of other associations)  so perhaps without that I would find the lowercase lettering more tolerable.  *shrugs*

- Neelix
DB? In Germany (not an irrelevant country for ED) that abbreviation is already widely known as Deutsche Bahn, since they put this logo everywhere:

200px-Db-schild.svg.png

For that reason - and because I don't like CamelCase - I wouldn't write "DragonBox" but rather just "dragonbox". Writing it as "Dragonbox" or "dragonBox" just looks weird to me, but all-lowercase "dragonbox" actually looks good imo. Like "facebook" looks better than "FaceBook" or "Facebook" or "faceBook". All-lowercase is hip again!

zertifiziert-facebook-300pxb.png

soptw.png

That being the case I think the best way to go is to avoid the use of initials in the logo altogether.

- Neelix
I can see a "p" in all four of the current proposals -- I don't know if it's always intentional, but it's there. Proposal #1 is just a squashed version of the right part of #4, both were intended as a "P". I see #2 as a "p" with its stem curled up around itself, like an @ is an "a" with a curled tail. Proposal #3 is the "PA" from a PYRA ambigram.

So they all refer to at least the letter "P" somehow. None of them have particularly obvious letters though, and should be seen as an abstract object in the first place.

hrm..  I really need to think  more before I post... :rolleyes:    When I said that I was thinking in terms of multi-letter acronyms.   A single P on its own doesn't really bother me.  

- Neelix

hrm..  I really need to think  more before I post... :rolleyes:    When I said that I was thinking in terms of multi-letter acronyms.   A single P on its own doesn't really bother me.  

- Neelix
Oh. Well, of course you can also see #3 and #4 as a single P made symmetric :)

I really don't think "dp" or "dP" is really a problem. "dragonbox pyra" or "dragonbox Pyra" would probably be use only on the boot screen, if at all.

Logo is just tying itself to the name.

The name is dragonbox, the model name is pyra. Like debian is debian, but version 7 is wheezy and 8 is jessie

edit: the irc is #dragonbox-pyra on freenode. I suppose people didnt use the open in #openpandora much either, but there you have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back