The Keyboard

Well would be interesting to know what cost we are talking about indeed.. I personally have no idea, but if for instance having 1 or 2 colours is only 1 quid (£1; but it could be less I think) per unit, it means a total of £4000, or 0.5% of the pandora public price. I don't know if the team is really pushing for that saving wrt their profit margin, nor what budget of the public price is allocated to the keys prints ? It's hard to say, I understand that currently no decision has been made about the keyboard layout but yet a total fixed price for the pandora has been frozen now..

Olexxy: Print must be payed by Craig'n'co at all. So it means that manufacturing coasts bulk of money more. I'll be more happy with simple and only 2 color printing on keys.
--
And note to Select and Start keys. Their Fn-ed function should be PrtScr/SysRq and Pause/Break, as discussed before. And rather without alternate captions - only with white labels.

So... Have there been any official declarations as to what is getting printed on the keys?

I'm still in for a 3 color triple function keyboard with letters, symbols and numerics.

Earlier you asked about the need for a tilde ( ~ ) on the keyboard. Not only for programming, but also for entering a web address that contains this symbol (and it occurs often) I would urge that this be on the final keyboard. by now it is in production but I have not seen one.

good luck
tony

I don't know what to say, other than "I really hate that keyboard!" :D

I doubt I'm going to use it at all (except for the pads and game controls of course). It simply has too few physical keys to start with, so the compromise is unbearable, both for non-letter keys and for the missing non-US ASCII keys. If I put the additional letters I would need for my own locale on some of those keys then I would lose something else that's equally important.

But then again I never had any expectations about the keyboard. Those kind of keyboards are always useless, so I just ignore them anyway.

Please stop with all this "official keyboard has been announced" stuff...
It's been said a hundred times in the other forum that the keyboard in that image is just a place holder.

Tor said:
I don't know what to say, other than "I really hate that keyboard!" :D

I doubt I'm going to use it at all (except for the pads and game controls of course). It simply has too few physical keys to start with, so the compromise is unbearable, both for non-letter keys and for the missing non-US ASCII keys. If I put the additional letters I would need for my own locale on some of those keys then I would lose something else that's equally important.

But then again I never had any expectations about the keyboard. Those kind of keyboards are always useless, so I just ignore them anyway.

I agree, a bluetooth or USB keyboard will do best. On the go I will use an onscreen keyboard, I can type faster on it, than on a thumb keyboard.

No offence, but I doubt you can type faster on a virtual keyboard with the same size as a physical one, besides, it would take up the whole screen. And you'd have to use your thumbs anyway.
Similar sized (minimally well designed) physical keyboards have proven to be much better than the iPhone keyboard, for example, and much easier and faster to adapt to. If people didn't have so much prejudice against small keyboards and tried to actually use them, I don't think there would be so many complaints.

Etinin said:
No offence, but I doubt you can type faster on a virtual keyboard with the same size as a physical one, besides, it would take up the whole screen. And you'd have to use your thumbs anyway.
Similar sized (minimally well designed) physical keyboards have proven to be much better than the iPhone keyboard, for example, and much easier and faster to adapt to. If people didn't have so much prejudice against small keyboards and tried to actually use them, I don't think there would be so many complaints.

I've used onscreen keyboards for the last ten years on my Pocket PCs and my NIT :) I don't use thumb versions, I use the stylus version. If you have a steady hand and a good eye, you can be pretty fast on those small keys :)

Etinin said:
on screen keybaords don't have to take up the whole screen, and you can use a stylus.

gerd said:
I've used onscreen keyboards for the last ten years on my Pocket PCs and my NIT I don't use thumb versions, I use the stylus version. If you have a steady hand and a good eye, you can be pretty fast on those small keys
yeah, stylus based input for portable devices are way better. I've used a palm m130 for about 3 years and keyboard layouts like FITALY or OPTI let me type just as fast as in a normal desktop keyboard.

I have long fingernails, so I'll probably have a hard time with the pandora's keyboard (I may even damage it from regular use). An on-screen keyboard would be a boon.

ok, wait guys, this is all well and good but you're gonna make the key configs reconfigurable via software right guys? right? i'm sure all of us have personal opinions on what the best keyboard config layout is, so there should be some way we could edit their functions, at least for the d-pad, analog d-pads, ABXY buttons, and the shoulder buttons.

Whatever the developers decide is fine by me. If I have trouble getting used to the key layout, I'll just break out the flexible, roll-up keyboard and plug it into the USB port.

teppik said:
By the way, is there any possible way to get layouts of other languages?

yeah lets just ignore the countless post that relate to your post, and lets forget the fact that this topic was made back in october, and that the keyboard layout has changed

but to answer your question

there is the possibility they will be selling extra mats with several languages, most likely onee being spanish german .....

What's about russian? We have 6 additional letters. I see only 2 button where I can place these letter ("<" and ">")

What's about russian? We have 6 additional letters. I see only 2 button where I can place these letter ("<" and ">")
Additional letters can be bound to Fn combinations (for example, instead of euro, pound, yen, etc).

Back