Keyboard Suggestions

So, I've been away for a few weeks and read through some threads and it seems to me that the general idea is to map Ctrl to a shoulder button.
I think that is an idea which should be awarded with the "Ergonomis my a$$"-Award 2008. I can map Control whereever I want, the problem is that I need to access it. Am I the only person who doesn't intend to thumbtype? I know thumbtyping is the way to go when your riding the bus/train or you're standing around. But as Pandora is designed like a mini-laptop it should a least be possible to use it like one.
I'm really happy about the Pandora and everything but please give us a proper Ctrl-Key. Just imagine you laptop had the Controlkey on the back.

Just my two cents here - I'm not a coder or a developer I just want to use the Pandora the same way I use my GP2X... for everything. Yes, it plays games but it isn't a replacement for the NDS or PSP so it shouldn't be limited to gaming-centric thinking. For me, emulation is the main purpose; I want to type actual save game names in SCUMMVM, control my character in Temple of Apshai for Apple II, enter text when needed in Atari ST and Amiga games.

In short, I want a keyboard and I'll take whatever Pandora comes with and figure myself lucky that I don't have to use a jury-rigged touchscreen keyboard, or carry a separate USB keyboard (like I don't have enough crap to carry as it is).

Nothing will ever be all things to everyone but something is better than nothing IMHO.

Balzac2m said:
So, I've been away for a few weeks and read through some threads and it seems to me that the general idea is to map Ctrl to a shoulder button.
I think that is an idea which should be awarded with the "Ergonomis my a$$"-Award 2008. I can map Control whereever I want, the problem is that I need to access it. Am I the only person who doesn't intend to thumbtype? I know thumbtyping is the way to go when your riding the bus/train or you're standing around. But as Pandora is designed like a mini-laptop it should a least be possible to use it like one.
I'm really happy about the Pandora and everything but please give us a proper Ctrl-Key. Just imagine you laptop had the Controlkey on the back.
So you want to touch-type on a keyboard that is less than 5.5 inches wide? I'm sorry, but I don't see how you could use the keyboard (or any other controls, save the touchscreen) at all without holding it in both hands and typing with your thumbs. I suppose you could set it down like a laptop and peck out keys with both index fingers, but that seems far less comfortable or efficient than just doing it the proper way. Even if you do use that method, is it really that much of a chore to reach around the back (<3 inches away) and hit a shoulder button on the rare occasion when you need the ctrl key?

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont see a problem with the alt shift esc keys, just bind them to the abxy. better yet, have the units shipped with a blank keyboard, and a bunch of stickers with a character that can be attached to each key, that way people can decide their own bindings and layouts (including the few Dvorak lovers)

Linkous said:
i dont see a problem with the alt shift esc keys, just bind them to the abxy. better yet, have the units shipped with a blank keyboard, and a bunch of stickers with a character that can be attached to each key, that way people can decide their own bindings and layouts (including the few Dvorak lovers)
Stickers look cheap and tacky D:
Instead, keep the letters on the keyboard and those who want a custom layout can just apply stickers over that.

Chip said:
So you want to touch-type on a keyboard that is less than 5.5 inches wide? I'm sorry, but I don't see how you could use the keyboard (or any other controls, save the touchscreen) at all without holding it in both hands and typing with your thumbs. I suppose you could set it down like a laptop and peck out keys with both index fingers, but that seems far less comfortable or efficient than just doing it the proper way. Even if you do use that method, is it really that much of a chore to reach around the back (<3 inches away) and hit a shoulder button on the rare occasion when you need the ctrl key?
I have tiny fingers ;)
To be honest, I used a Zaurus SL-5500 and a Treo for some time, and I just can't thumbtype. Maybe because my right thumb has a way too long nail (due to guitarplaying) ;).
I didn't realize that the Pandora indeed is only designed to thumbtype, I always thought that's more like when there is now place to set it down. ;)
And to be honest, yes it is really not acceptable for me to reach around for the ctrl-key, i totally understand that most people here will use the shell rarely, I use shell/secure shell very very often and the Pandora would be welcome as my first on-the-go ssh-machine as long as I can't afford a Panasonic Toughbook R7 (My aging Thinkpad 12" is too big for me). As you may know, using the shell without control is a major pita.
I'll buy it anyway an will remap the keys to my liking, it is absolutely no dealbreaker but I thinnk it would attract way more of the geekcrowd if there would be designated tab/ctrl/alt-keys. But as the device is mainly targeted at gamers, I understand the decision.
Only thing I'll really miss is tabletmode, but that is another thread and seemingly no option.

Someone on the forum here had a suggestion I liked a lot (forgive me for not remembering who!).

I think mapping CTRL to the SELECT button and ALT to the START button is my favorite idea. If there was a program using those keys already, then the FN key can be held down as well. Yeah, this is getting to be like a game of twister on a five and a half inch wide keyboard but it isn't a commonly used sequence. These buttons will have to be labeled with their alternate functionality just like all the other buttons so it won't be a guess to anyone. I prefer this to shoulder buttons which might serve better in other ways.

All the game buttons do not have limitations on how many can be pressed at once (including START/SELECT/MENU) so it is easy to have four buttons active at once if only two are from the keypad/number area.

What do you think?

Thinking about it, it might be better: are you able to reach those buttons comfortably while holding the system so you can hit a two- or one-key combination on the keyboard?

Lit keyboard.

A LED aimed at the Keyboard, perhaps some EL backlight... whatever makes it glow.

Its hard to type in the dark.

MWeston said:
Someone on the forum here had a suggestion I liked a lot (forgive me for not remembering who!).

I think mapping CTRL to the SELECT button and ALT to the START button is my favorite idea. If there was a program using those keys already, then the FN key can be held down as well. Yeah, this is getting to be like a game of twister on a five and a half inch wide keyboard but it isn't a commonly used sequence. These buttons will have to be labeled with their alternate functionality just like all the other buttons so it won't be a guess to anyone. I prefer this to shoulder buttons which might serve better in other ways.

All the game buttons do not have limitations on how many can be pressed at once (including START/SELECT/MENU) so it is easy to have four buttons active at once if only two are from the keypad/number area.

What do you think?
It's a better idea than right shoulder and left shoulder, is it possible to map ESC on Menu button to ?
The DPAD is a real joystick or is it UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT keys of normal keyboard ?

MWeston said:
I think mapping CTRL to the SELECT button and ALT to the START button is my favorite idea.

I prefer this to shoulder buttons which might serve better in other ways.

What do you think?
I like it. Like the guy above - I do see myself using this as a mini laptop sitting on a table.

My vote would be to use the shoulder buttons for page up and page down. Normally when I want to use those buttons I've already switched away from hands on the keyboard (so having them "around the back" wouldn't be so much of an issue).

I would concentrate on getting the / key and the : key very accessible.

Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW - for the Mark2 why not arrange the hinges to at least allow the screen to be folded through 360 (ish) degrees (so you'd have the screen on one side and the keys exposed on the other). It's not as "nice" as a swivel/flippable screen (because of exposed keys) but it might get you around patent issues (surely one can't patent a hinge that has existed on garden gates for centuries?)

Chip said:
So you want to touch-type on a keyboard that is less than 5.5 inches wide? I'm sorry, but I don't see how you could use the keyboard (or any other controls, save the touchscreen) at all without holding it in both hands and typing with your thumbs.
Actually, I think it'd be quite possible to hold the unit in the left hand and kinda sorta touchtype with one hand. That's what seems to feel most natural to me, if I experiment a bit with similarily sized objects.

But MWestons latest thought seems quite OK. I could live with that :)

Like I've said before, the only reason I'd want to take a mini keyboard is if I need it for some serious typing. In that case, I usually don't mind handling that extra stuff if I need to.

It all comes down to what you need it for, and how mobile you need to be. :)

Edit: OK, looked at the FrogPad for real. Would never ever ever get that. Haha... just the idea of trying to IM with someone or something with that is halarious. Can you imagine? You'd have to be creative with your vocabulary. :lol:

MWeston said:
I think mapping CTRL to the SELECT button and ALT to the START button is my favorite idea.

This is a great idea, especially for thumb typing. Those keys can be reached with both thumbs, so you can type combinations with keys on either side of the keyboard without overstretching your thumbs.

Series-8 said:
Lit keyboard.

A LED aimed at the Keyboard, perhaps some EL backlight... whatever makes it glow.

Well no backlight, but the keys will be frontlit. You see, there is this big 4.3" 800x480 "keyboard front light" AKA "the screen" that will light the keys :p

DaveC said:
Series-8 said:
Lit keyboard.

Well no backlight, but the keys will be frontlit. You see, there is this big 4.3" 800x480 "keyboard front light" AKA "the screen" that will light the keys :p

The gp2x makes a great bathroom flashlight avoiding a stubbed toe in the wee hours so that pandora will really shine.

Could someone here teach the spell checker, "pandora", please and thanks.

Yeah, baby. I've used the GP2X for reaching my end of the bed many a time. That there is a powerfully bright screen. I hope the Pandora will have the same kind of reach.

Back