The Gp2x Is Dead!

PSP is great for emulation if you like BLURRRRRRYYYYYYYY 2D graphics that make you want to vomit on the terrible slow LCD screen.

UMPC is also fantastic for emulation if you like contorting your hands into retarded positions to use the controls or using imaginary controls on a touch screen with no tactile response.

I honestly can't wait for the Pandora myself but I can't understand how you pee all over the supports that hold up the pandora. Both the Gp32 and Gp2x are amazing systems. Without them, I doubt we would even be looking at the possiblty of the Pandora right now.

:pandora1:
:gp2x
gp32_console

-Spadoof :gp2x

You soon will be mine! :pandora1:

waffles said:
Meh, my only hope is that translates into low eBay pricing.
Ebay- exploiting failures since 1912.
lower than the mean price of $100 that I bought my last 3 for?

POS is what the GP2X, anyone who has been here since a pre-order (oh, that is me! how nice for me.) will know that they are crap, from the sticks to the firmware to the support to the complete lack of USB for the first 2 years (support is still crap btw, big reason I dropped my last 4 units).

NO D_PAD, after 3 years of asking for it, they gave us Fuccking BUTTONS!!! Pissed, that is what I was.

$1 per unit to add USB on-board, and no, they couldn't do that. Support for USB? No. $70 for a freaking "Break-Out-Box" (didn't include Required $20 power supply) and it didn't even have a S-video to Composite switch or dongle included. Not to mention that the damn thing didn't FIT in the CRADLE!!!!!!?!!!?!? People were taking saws and knives to the damn thing just to get the handheld to fit.

"value pack", looking at the quality and offering in the value pack made me so freaking pissed. Going to the dollar store would get you higher quality, $10 worth of batteries and $5 worth of trinkets for $30 is not my idea of value. USB cable and a CHARGER with the batteries is where value is, and maybe throw in a small SD card.

Those Koreans didn't give a flying offer of coitus to a round sweet cake about us, or any concern anyone had over the crap they "designed". Units are still failing left and right due to the piss-poor design of the power circuitry, and the firmware image is made with hard-coded bad sectors, nearly insuring broken units.

Then they change the hardware without telling anyone or making it possible to differentiate between the versions, breaking software compatibility multiple times. They hate us.

My favorite issue is that the original units would not register left or up if you tightened the case screws in the wrong order, oh and the headphones port falling off, how about the fact that the audio wouldn't stop coming through the speakers when using the TV cable? How about the "$15" tv cable to connect 2 wires up for s-video? That is lame.

The ONLY good thing about the GP2X was this scene, don't abandon the scene now that there is finally some hardware worthy of the insanely cool people who coded such awesome software for us.

Long live Pandora, and why did the GP2X take so long to die? It is like a pin-up I guess, so airbrushed and photo-shopped that you can't even recognize them in person, they seem like a good idea until you try to live with one then their left tit falls off and they spend all day tripping into stuff and asking you if "chicken of the sea" tuna is fowl or fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spadoof said:
I honestly can't wait for the Pandora myself but I can't understand how you pee all over the supports that hold up the pandora. Both the Gp32 and Gp2x are amazing systems. Without them, I doubt we would even be looking at the possiblty of the Pandora right now.

:pandora1:
:gp2x
gp32_console

-Spadoof :gp2x

You soon will be mine! :pandora1:

My sentiments exactly.

WizardStan said:
dsraa said:
oh right......the handheld that has maybe a 1/5th of the emulation software, and also doesn't view mpeg movies in their original format, unless you convert them to sony's format.

I just bought a 16gb sd card, and plan to fill it to the brim with games, snes, tg16-cd, MAME, and probably a season or two of Family Guy. What other system can I do that with??
The PSP. Seriously. Emulators for those three exist. And homebrew avi/mpg/ogg players exist. You don't need to convert to mp4 to play them anymore.

PLUS, on the PSP you have to downgrade the firmware with older hacked firmware that's doesn't even work 100% of the time, and its not even up to date....

The homebrew scene has developed a LOT since last you looked, it would seem. Last time I upgraded was several months back, to 3.90 M33, and that was less than a week after the official 3.90 was released. No major problems that I've heard of.

Maybe it has. I suppose I am a bit like some of the people who only recently joined this forum. A person who does not own the system he is speaking about, yet claims that it sucks, nor know the fine details or updated details mention here within.

I suppose in another sense of the word that I am in a bit of an ignorant state, as I am truly had not really had any of the problems any of you had mentioned with the gp2x except for my joystick breaking. I am perfectly happy playing my favs on snes, mame, tg16, c64, atari2600, GBA, and homebrew games like sqdef.

DSR

I'm just so stoked on this community. You all made the GP2X, its predecessor, & Pandora come to life.

A GP2x lite sounds so cool. Let's get Pandora out of the box and get $100 replacement for the GP2X.

I think soon is appropiAte for timeframes on Pandora roll
out.

I love my GP2x that GWB bought me with my economic stimulus rebate. The fact that my stupid iPhone turned me onto all of this has really helped my quality of life over the last two months. I no longer game on my phone after I got my GP2X. Gaming got much more fun & MAME rules on the GP2X.

Hoping bigger better 4 Pandora.

Peace

Link

Name systems that the GP2X can emulate that the PSP can't. And you never told me how many PS1 games the GP2X can emulate. And how many PSP games can it play?

Firstly, the gp2x was NEVER built to emulate PS1 games. Secondly, I really don't understand why we would really makes an apples to oranges comparison of the two handhelds, when they are fundamentally different. Its the same as when people start asking the dumb questions about n64 emulation on gp2x. IT JUST DOESNT HAVE THE POWER CAPTAIN!!

A Pandora, a N800, an Eee PC, a MSi Wind, a Zonbu, an OQO, just about any UMPC... And a PSP or DS would work if it was a MicroSD card instead of an SD.

A Zonbu? Thats just an OS interface, which has nothing to do with emulating games?
The MSI Wind is not even out yet, and is also just a web surfing notebook. The N800 is another "Internet Tablet". The EeePC while cool, is simply not built for games.
I'm speaking in terms of true handheld systems that were meant for games. Half of those have keyboards, and can't fit into your pocket!!! ALSO their true functions have nothing to do with games.

That's bs. I didn't have to downgrade anything. My PSP Slim has the latest custom firmware that is uptodate with the latest official firmware. VOIP, Media player, Internet browser.... You really need to check out the Sony homebrew scene, sounds like your woefully out-of-touch. And *no* emulator plays 100% of all games for any system - and that includes the ones for the GP2X.

Ok, so I am just as ignorant as some of the people on this forum that claim the gp2x is a POS. I am aware of some of its capabilities, but I really dont care if I could use VOIP, or the internet on my psp if I had one.

and last I checked.....memorysticks STILL cost about double of SD cards, and only go up to 8gb which cost about $70-$90 dollars.You don't need to buy a memorystick - MicroSD cards can be used with a $5 converter.

ok, well those still end at 8gb last time I checked.

Why does it matter the purpose for which it was built?

Because it just does................now I'm gonna go stamp my feet and scream at the moon that I'm right. lol....

meh... It's outdated. It served its purpose. Even the manufacturers think it's outdated. The Pandora is better. It's time to move on.

Well that I do agree with somewhat. While, We don't necessarily know that the manufacturers think its time to move on, they did just make a major firmware update.
It is getting a little long in the tooth, I mean all consoles *except PSX* have been emulated well enough for play. Which makes me happy until the Pandora comes out and matures enough for me to buy it, which would be either xmas, or my bday. Will I be bringing my gp2x with everywhere until then?, of course!

DSR

waffles said:
also the psp is cheaper, has a larger screen, and a UMD drive.
Yeah but the PSP sucks for emulation. That weird resolution widescreen fits no emulator very well. You have to stretch it to shit then filter it giving a blurry shitty image that ghosts when it moves. The PSP screen is no larger if you maintain the proper aspect ratio, and the filtering ruins it. Other than the better CPU the PSP is a terrible emulator handheld. The GP2X fits emus better and the Pandora will blow the PSP away for that.

pandora sucks because it has no Manhunt2 and Crisis Core...

UPMC device to emulate 10-20years old games with wrong aspect ratio...

wow lots of people are grumpy i dont remember anything like this happening when the gp32 was over taken by the gp32x and thus causing f-day to never happen(yet) and the gp32 had just about as many flaws as the 2x so whats all the bickering about? and as a reply to the topic the 2x is not dead hell the gp32 isn't even dead yet.

Bourbon
gp32_console

bourbon said:
the 2x is not dead hell the gp32 isn't even dead yet.
*Sigh*

They are *both* dead. God, just because you still have one that works doesn't mean the product isn't dead. Dead in the sense that *THEY ARE NOT MAKING ANY MORE!* Read the thread.

You cannot buy a new GP2X anymore. GPH isn't producing any more, and hasn't for a while, so (nearly?) all the suppliers have long been sold out of their stock. It's a dead product. Can you still buy a used one? Sure. You can still buy a used Game Boy - that doesn't mean the product isn't dead.

GPH has told Craig and other sellers that they will no longer be making the GP2X. It's dead. Get over it.

Long live the Pandora. :pandora1: :pandora1:

A system isn't dead until software has stopped being developed for it. It isn't a matter of the system not being manufactured anymore.

geise69 said:
A system isn't dead until software has stopped being developed for it. It isn't a matter of the system not being manufactured anymore.
So I guess the Atari 2600 isn't dead - the Dreamcast isn't dead - the Amiga isn't dead - the Commodore 64 isn't dead....

That's stupid.

It's a freaking piece of silicone, plastic, and metal. Being loyal to a device is like being loyal to a toaster or a cheeseburger or a stone carving. Let it go. You have one? Spectacular. You still use it? Awesome. You still write code for it? Great for you.

None of that changes the fact that it is a dead product that will no longer be sold.

geise69 said:
I'd be inclined to agree with that. The neo geo home console was having carts produced up until 2003 or so, I believe, and there still is, or was a few years ago, an active developer for the sega CD :D

chad78 said:
geise69 said:
So I guess the Atari 2600 isn't dead - the Dreamcast isn't dead - the Amiga isn't dead - the Commodore 64 isn't dead....

That's stupid.

It's a freaking piece of silicone, plastic, and metal. Being loyal to a device is like being loyal to a toaster or a cheeseburger or a stone carving. Let it go. You have one? Spectacular. You still use it? Awesome. You still write code for it? Great for you.

None of that changes the fact that it is a dead product that will no longer be sold.

Calm down, man. No one here talked about loyalty or any other nonsense, so what seems to be the problem? Of course the GP2X is still alive, it is after all the dev/user scene that gave it life in the first place. It is up to the same scene to take that life away - by the looks of things, not for some time though. Get over it, we're still having a blast here and don't need any dark clouds hovering over us :)

quasist said:
pandora sucks because it has no Manhunt2 and Crisis Core...

UPMC device to emulate 10-20years old games with wrong aspect ratio...
i see what you did there.

I think it's important for avoiding flames to work out what we think actually makes something dead. We currently have two options.

- No longer sold (excluding 2nd hand)
- No longer has things produced for it

I tend toward the latter, but I see the former as a neutering of the scene. Without new units, the influx of new developers slows, and without developers, no software, and eventually, death. However, it is the release of software and the conversation about it that actually keeps something alive.

By this reasoning, I am compelled to admit that, yes, the C64 is still alive and kicking. So is the Dreamcast. And the Atari 2600. You know what? That's fine. They are, though, in the evening of their lives. And it's that phase that the GP2x is now to enter. Sooner or later, I'm sure, it will die. Cessation of production is an incredibly important (and very unfortunate) step in that inevitable direction. But right now it isn't there.

It makes you wonder what would have happenend to the community in the long run if there was no pandora?

D.C. said:
It makes you wonder what would have happenend to the community in the long run if there was no pandora?
Shaun_of_the_Dead_Zombies.gif

I was about to get all angry and insist that the GP2X isn't "dead", but there's a crucial difference between the systems other people have mentioned (C64, Atari 2600 etc) and the '2X - they primarily ran commercial games, and you can emulate the systems on a PC/other platforms, which keeps the retro-love going. I think the GP2X homebrew scene is fantastic, but seeing as you can't (currently) emulate the system, it won't survive once peoples' hardware starts dying and you can no longer get new units. Even if there was a GP2X emulator, most homebrew is easily portable to other platforms anyway. There's not much point emulating the GP2X if retro-console emulation's your bag...

I read that back, and it's less coherent than I expected... Sod it, I'm posting anyway ;)

Viva la GP2X-lite! :D

Back