The Gp2x Is Dead!

That thing looks like it would match
quasist perfectly. Screw Pandora, Ima getn popstation n00bs!

palmertech said:
That thing looks like it would match
quasist perfectly. Screw Pandora, Ima getn popstation n00bs!
LOL
If pandora will be released then major companies will let her lick their boots by releasing more neat hendhelds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is GPH dropping the GP2X in favor of a newer model or is GPH exiting the handheld market completely?

dsraa said:
Please, enlighten us with another system that can do this much emulation of older systems, and homebrew software and games.

The PSP.

DisgruntleElf said:
Is GPH dropping the GP2X in favor of a newer model or is GPH exiting the handheld market completely?
There are lots of rumors of a new platform but if GPH can't keep GP2X afloat then maybe they won't be able to bring forth a new one either.

Sphinxter said:
chad78 said:
dsraa said:
Please, enlighten us with another system that can do this much emulation of older systems, and homebrew software and games.

The PSP.
Hahahaha, good one.

Add a keyboard, touchscreen, and bluetooth, and the Pandora and PSP become reasonably comparable in terms of features. It's even got DosBox ported to it, though keyboard support is obviously quite limited.

Ding-dong the GP2X is dead
Which old GP2X? The GP2X
Ding-dong the GP2X is dead
Wake up you sleepyhead
Rub your eyes, get out of bed
Wake up the GP2X is dead
She's gone where the handhelds go
Below - below - below
Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low
Let them know the GP2X is dead

Sphinxter said:
chad78 said:
dsraa said:
The PSP.Hahahaha, good one.Not as the Pandora. As the GP2X, which is what we are talking about. And, yes, the PSP can do any system the GP2X can do. More, actually. How many PS1 games can the GP2X play?
WizardStan said:
Add a keyboard, touchscreen, and bluetooth, and the Pandora and PSP become reasonably comparable in terms of features. It's even got DosBox ported to it, though keyboard support is obviously quite limited.
That's true. The PSP homebrew scene has done a lot. But I think the Pandora will be much, much better.

Nice song. Not exactly what I expected, but nice. Also, I don't think that an open source console is going to made by any big companies, anytime soon. It completely defies they're business model! How would they make money off the games? Generally, the game related system subsidy is an important part of the business plan.

All they have to do is look at the sales of the GP2X. While great, it is definitely a nich product, not something that a large company would develop. Although considering that the PSP has already been completely compromised, and all the development costs are paid for... It would be pretty cool if Sony decided to go open source. Of course, Sony is the devil, so that will never happen.

Senor Quack said:
dsraa said:
Stealth Bagel said:
The gp2x was a POS and I'm glad to see the pandora take its place; even if it is a disaster it would never top the gp2x in terms of failing in every category it tried to compete in. The software is great but man what a platform to waste all that effort on. Thankfully it can all be ported to an ARM device with some semblance of quality.

Honestly I wish the pandora forum was somewhere else to distance it from these flaky doomed handhelds.
Hey Ass, realize that before you insult a whole community and the company that created the gp2x, THERE WAS NOTHING LIKE THE GP32 NOR THE GP2X!!! You've only been on this forum for less than a year, and cannot even percieve the amount of work AND TIME it took by this community, and its developers, to create the software for these devices. Even with the gp2x's flaws, there is still nothing that had such a strong following to create anything close as to what the gp2x can deliver.

He didn't disrespect anyone in the post at all, he even said the software is great.. relax, the GP2X really did have some major faults, you have to admit that. "Loyalty" to a piece of electronics is ridiculous.

that's what happens when your marketing strategy is unhealthy over-hyping, people would kill to defend their not-that-much-fun devices.
:rolleyes:

Game park 2 X.
[I'm stupid spammer] what we can, because, we must.
for the good of all the devs.
except the ones who've moved on.
but theres no pay trying to emulate every single game,
you just keep on selling till you make a new name!
and the home brew gets gun, and some people have fun,
on the system that is, still alive.
and believe me we are, still alive.
Were working on XGP and we are still alive.
And when the Pandora is released our fans will be, still loyal.
still loyal.
still loyal.

Eh?
wrong impression word filter has the wrong impression.

Sphinxter said:
chad78 said:
dsraa said:

The PSP.
Hahahaha, good one.

oh right......the handheld that has maybe a 1/5th of the emulation software, and also doesn't view mpeg movies in their original format, unless you convert them to sony's format.

I just bought a 16gb sd card, and plan to fill it to the brim with games, snes, tg16-cd, MAME, and probably a season or two of Family Guy. What other system can I do that with??

PLUS, on the PSP you have to downgrade the firmware with older hacked firmware that's doesn't even work 100% of the time, and its not even up to date....

and last I checked.....memorysticks STILL cost about double of SD cards, and only go up to 8gb which cost about $70-$90 dollars.

And lastly, I wasn't talking about converting something that was a commercial handheld to a homebrew system. I'm talking about a system that was meant for Emulation, and Homebrew from the start.

The GP2x has its flaws, I'll give you that, but its definitly not a POS. It works, and works quite well, and this community DOES recognize that. Which is why it continued to work its butt off to make this scene what it is.

If you would have been here from the start, you would realize what a difference the GP2x made, and how far its come since its first iteration.

DSR

dsraa said:
oh right......the handheld that has maybe a 1/5th of the emulation software, and also doesn't view mpeg movies in their original format, unless you convert them to sony's format.

I just bought a 16gb sd card, and plan to fill it to the brim with games, snes, tg16-cd, MAME, and probably a season or two of Family Guy. What other system can I do that with??
The PSP. Seriously. Emulators for those three exist. And homebrew avi/mpg/ogg players exist. You don't need to convert to mp4 to play them anymore.

PLUS, on the PSP you have to downgrade the firmware with older hacked firmware that's doesn't even work 100% of the time, and its not even up to date....

The homebrew scene has developed a LOT since last you looked, it would seem. Last time I upgraded was several months back, to 3.90 M33, and that was less than a week after the official 3.90 was released. No major problems that I've heard of.

dsraa said:
Name systems that the GP2X can emulate that the PSP can't. And you never told me how many PS1 games the GP2X can emulate. And how many PSP games can it play?QUOTE
A Pandora, a N800, an Eee PC, a MSi Wind, a Zonbu, an OQO, just about any UMPC... And a PSP or DS would work if it was a MicroSD card instead of an SD.QUOTE
That's bs. I didn't have to downgrade anything. My PSP Slim has the latest custom firmware that is uptodate with the latest official firmware. VOIP, Media player, Internet browser.... You really need to check out the Sony homebrew scene, sounds like your woefully out-of-touch. And *no* emulator plays 100% of all games for any system - and that includes the ones for the GP2X.QUOTE
and last I checked.....memorysticks STILL cost about double of SD cards, and only go up to 8gb which cost about $70-$90 dollars.
You don't need to buy a memorystick - MicroSD cards can be used with a $5 converter.QUOTE
And lastly, I wasn't talking about converting something that was a commercial handheld to a homebrew system. I'm talking about a system that was meant for Emulation, and Homebrew from the start.
Why does it matter the purpose for which it was built? Was a Dell desktop specifically built for every purpose that it used for? Was that Gateway built specifically for Slackware? Does that mean it's somehow less suitable for that purpose? That's a really stupid argument. To my knowledge there are only 2 systems that were ever "Designed for homebrew use". Does that somehow negate all the work done by every other homebrew community? That's bs. The Xbox, the Dreamcast, the DS, the GBA, the PSP, the PS2, the Wii... All have great homebrew communities for devices built for commerical software. The difference is - modded commerical systems can play 30 year old games *AND* up-to-date commerical games as well. And before you start bashing commerical games, remember that every single emulator started out as an evil corporate machine.QUOTE
The GP2x has its flaws, I'll give you that, but its definitly not a POS. It works, and works quite well, and this community DOES recognize that. Which is why it continued to work its butt off to make this scene what it is.

If you would have been here from the start, you would realize what a difference the GP2x made, and how far its come since its first iteration.
meh... It's outdated. It served its purpose. Even the manufacturers think it's outdated. The Pandora is better. It's time to move on.

Back