Release The GIMP 2.8

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is The GIMP, The GNU Image Manipulation Tools.

preview1.png
It's a hacky compile to make it run on 1.60 Firmware, because GLib is not supposed to be new enough. Well, enjoy the latest version of GIMP. But be warned that many dialog boxes are just to big for the Pandora resolution (so I still prefer Pinta for my "on the go" picture editing).

History log

=========

Build 02

-----------

• Compatible with Firmware 1.62+
  • Using official 2.8.14 sources

Build 01

-----------

• Based on official 2.8 version
  • Include updated libs (GTK 2.24 and Pango 1.29.5) but use firmawre default GLib
  • Use firmware default Python for plugin (so be sure to be in 1.60 SZ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey cool, the logo i did in the background! :D Did it with GIMP of course! ;)

Thanks for porting the latest version btw!

New build. Updated to latest sources.

Note that I have found that the config from the Build 01 make the Build 02 run quite incorrectly. So I have put a dialog that ask to remove old config folder. You can keep old save, but you might have issu with preferences saving and things like that. You have been warned.

Build 02

-----------

• Compatible with Firmware 1.62+
  • Using official 2.8.14 sources

It doesn´t work for me, maybe i´m doing something wrong?

=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/32GB_DATA/pandora/menu/gimp-ptitseb.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/32GB_DATA/pandora/appdata/gimp
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/pnd/gimp': File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/utmp/gimp': File exists
WARNING Union already mounted, using it
+++++++
Loopback devices :
/dev/loop0: [b301]:457 (/media/32GB_DATA/pandora/menu/gimp-ptitseb.pnd)
/dev/loop1: [b301]:459 (/media/32GB_DATA/pandora/menu/wxpython-ptitseb.pnd)
Are mounted on :
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/utmp/gimp type squashfs (ro,relatime)
/dev/loop1 on /mnt/utmp/wxpython type squashfs (ro,relatime)
For these Union :
none on /mnt/utmp/gimp type aufs (rw,relatime,si=f252196a,noplink)
none on /mnt/utmp/wxpython type aufs (rw,relatime,si=f0f26e6a,noplink)
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh  ) ----------
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 523: cd: /mnt/utmp/gimp: Stale NFS file handle
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 551: ./runscript.sh: No such file or directory
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( runscript.sh  ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
auplink:auplink.c:59: chdir: Stale NFS file handle
umount: /mnt/utmp/gimp: Stale NFS file handle
auplink:auplink.c:59: chdir: Stale NFS file handle
WARNING umount UNION failed, didnt clean up. Process still using this FS :
+++++++
Loopback devices :
/dev/loop0: [b301]:457 (/media/32GB_DATA/pandora/menu/gimp-ptitseb.pnd)
/dev/loop1: [b301]:459 (/media/32GB_DATA/pandora/menu/wxpython-ptitseb.pnd)
Are mounted on :
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/utmp/gimp type squashfs (ro,relatime)
/dev/loop1 on /mnt/utmp/wxpython type squashfs (ro,relatime)
For these Union :
none on /mnt/utmp/gimp type aufs (rw,relatime,si=f252196a,noplink)
none on /mnt/utmp/wxpython type aufs (rw,relatime,si=f0f26e6a,noplink)
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 3

Is it possible, that GIMP 2.6 and GIMP 2.8 use the same appdata folder, or do I have to rename the appdata folder everytime I want to use the other version?

If your SDCard is formated as an Ext2 filesystem, you can use a symlink. If your on Fat32, I don't see any easy way.

I mean both versions use the appdata folder "gimp". I wanted to know if there are any conflicts, when both versions use the same appdata folder.

Ah ok.

Well, I don't think it's a good idea to use newer appdata with older version. Mmmm, I should have used another name for the appdata...

How can I change the appdata folder name? I tried changing it with PND Tools, but then Gimp said something, that it can't install its data.

And I found a bug with the one-window mode:

1. I enabled the one-window mode. When you do this it is possible to resize the window to any size.

2. I closed the program and started it again.

3. Now it's not possible to resize the window anymore. It is bigger then the pandora screen.

4. When I disable the one-window mode gimp won't react anymore and you have to delete the appdata folder or delete the config file to get it to work again. And it seems that you have to restart the pandora to open gimp again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm, I had noticed the "Gimp doesn't react" also with older config file. I'll try to fix, but I already spent time on this fidding just nothing ;(. And yeah,gimp, even when killed, stay there so you have to reboot to be able to restart.

How can I change the appdata folder name? I tried changing it with PND Tools, but then Gimp said something, that it can't install its data.

And I found a bug with the one-window mode:

1. I enabled the one-window mode. When you do this it is possible to resize the window to any size.

2. I closed the program and started it again.

3. Now it's not possible to resize the window anymore. It is bigger then the pandora screen.

4. When I disable the one-window mode gimp won't react anymore and you have to delete the appdata folder or delete the config file to get it to work again. And it seems that you have to restart the pandora to open gimp again.
Are you running from an SDCard formated as Fat32 or Ext2 filesystem?

Hey all, went to go use GIMP today (which I haven't in ages, so not sure if its something to do with SZ changes or what) and it wouldn't load. No alert message or anything, no action lights flickering, just didn't load.

Not sure what to try. I tried activating a swap file just in case, and also made sure I WxPython installed. Still no joy. Any advice? Just wanted to say thanks for making all this stuff happen in the first place, ptitSeb, you're a superstar.

Back