The Cradle

DBH said:
Random question. Do you need to power the cradle if you want to use a wifi stick or will an adapter to the GP2X (and not the cradle) be good enough?
Most Wifi sticks are rated at 0.4 Amps, not a minimal amount of power, I wouldn't want to pull that through the GP2X even if it did work.

MK1, definitely need power to the cradle anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
DBH said:
Random question. Do you need to power the cradle if you want to use a wifi stick or will an adapter to the GP2X (and not the cradle) be good enough?
Most Wifi sticks are rated at 0.4 Amps, not a minimal amount of power, I wouldn't want to pull that through the GP2X even if it did work.

MK1, definitely need power to the cradle anyway.

My wireless keyboard receiver is 5V - 100mA, do you think it will work with MK2 USB mod without extra power?

Does anyone find that you can't just go from left to right on the joypad in one movement? You need to release it from it being pushed left, and then push to go right.

For example, you're playing Mars Matrix and have the pushed the controller pushed left, and then you push it right but the ship doesn't go right, it just stays where it is. However, if you let the joystick centre itself and if you then push right, then it works.

I've tried two controllers (the second being a Competition Pro joystick), but both have this problem.

I've a DaveC d-pad mod, I'm not sure if this could be an issue?

ste_167 said:
Does anyone find that you can't just go from left to right on the joypad in one movement? You need to release it from it being pushed left, and then push to go right.

For example, you're playing Mars Matrix and have the pushed the controller pushed left, and then you push it right but the ship doesn't go right, it just stays where it is. However, if you let the joystick centre itself and if you then push right, then it works.

I've tried two controllers (the second being a Competition Pro joystick), but both have this problem.

I've a DaveC d-pad mod, I'm not sure if this could be an issue?
There was a thread about this but I couldn't replicate it. One critical fact not mentioned was that this is a problem with USB sticks? It's fine with the built-in controller? Is that correct?

Yes, it's perfect with the built in d-pad, but there's problems with both my Competition Pro and Microsoft Sidewinder controllers. Was the thread regarding the cradle specifically, or the BOB? I'll have a search, thanks.

I was also thinking of doing something similar to the wireless wifi setup on the wiki but wasn't sure on the battery box but came across this, what do you guys think??

Reckon it's got enough juice to run a wifi stick on the move while powering a mini hub?

5V 1.5A 2200mAh Li-ion

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Univeral-Rechargeabl...bayphotohosting

or would 4 x 2600mAh Ni-Mh batteries in a box be better?

well, you wouldn't really need 2a i guess, gph says 2a cause usb is rated 0.5a and there are 4 ports, so 4*0,5=2, but if you would most likely use 1 wifi stick and to pads or something than 0.6-1a should be perfectly fine.

Cool that's alright then I guess. So the 1.5A would be good for say 3 ports then I guess. Also because its 2200mAh Li-ion would that be better than the 4x2600mAh Ni-MH @ 1A or not?? I'm not entirely sure how that would work out. I guess with the 4 AA's most I'd be able to run would be the 2 devices as opposed to 3 with the Li-ion? The li-ion looks appealing as its very small and only 45g!

Also does anyone have any idea on what size the DC jack input is on the cradle?? 3.5mm??

Ok this is cool I think I can almost make a portable wifi gp2x like the one on the wiki but will have everything inline with the gp2x and not dangling about!

I've managed to find a 4 port USB hub thats roughly the same size as the battery cover! (60mm x 37mm x 14mm) and from my calculations that dinky thumb size Li-ion battery stick should be the equivalent of a 2200mAh set of 4 Ni-MH batteries. So comparing the trade off in size and weight I guess the li-ion battery stick is better! (and the stick can be charged by USB so if I got hold of a AA battery box I can charge the stick up on the move).

Dimensions of the battery stick are 72mm x 28mm x 21mm. Which is pretty good! That means I could in theory stick the hub on the battery cover and the battery stick just above the hub and should all be self contained.

What you think?

Question:

I have a hard disk and a pen drive both plugged into the cradle, is it possible to change the device names under Linux for them?

Harddisk = sda
penDrive=sdb

Is it possible to change the sda/sdb to something else?

I would like to name them, hmm, Hardisk and pendrive...

Any ideas?

Parkydr said:
ln -s /dev/sda /dev/Harddisk
ln -s /dev/sdb /dev/penDrive
I tried a little script drives.gpe:

#!/bin/sh
ln -s /dev/sda /dev/Harddisk
ln -s /dev/sdb /dev/penDrive
sync
# Restart Gp2x
cd /usr/gp2x
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

but no luck it seemed to just hang the machine on a blank display.

Lunched via the menu/Game/ then selected file..

Any ideas?
Or should be be doing this in an init level script at boot time?

can i use the cradle usb connection to file transfer (or network connection) with the pc? the mini usb of my gp2x don't work more :/ (yes, i change the cable and up-downgrade the firmware)... tkx anyway

Back