The Cradle

pcklee123 said:
just did the usb mod on my gp2x today (USB host connector at the top left corner). I also gave it a power input at the bottom. If anyone knows how to mod it so that tvout comes from where the headphones are currently connected, then there will be no use for the cradle for most people.
I do ;).

pcklee123 said:
Zeladin said:
pcklee123 said:
just did the usb mod on my gp2x today (USB host connector at the top left corner). I also gave it a power input at the bottom. If anyone knows how to mod it so that tvout comes from where the headphones are currently connected, then there will be no use for the cradle for most people.
Are you thinking of replacing the er three pole jack socket? with a four pole jack for the video out? IE, L, R, Video, Gnd? That could work/ be quite cool, still I'd prefer not messing around with a load of cables... on the other there's 75E...

Yes if anyone has done this could you please post instructions? The advantage is that is that you would switch off the sound automatically when you plug in the video. The cable would be the ones used for the handycam which is easily available and much smaller than SVideo plus two other cables for sound.
The jack is a 4-pole already, they are bridging the fourth pole to ground, that is why the sense is crappy. I would cut the sense and wire it to a switch or something (in fact you could add a fifth wire for the sense that was more direct to the ground), then you could just jumper the video up to that fourth contact. The real trick is finding a properly wired 3.5mm A/V cable, I found out that Sony and whoever else are making ridiculous ones that aren't headphone compatible, although the Ipod Mini style ones should be compatible. So there are at least 3 different schemes, some are compatible by swapping the red/white/yellow leads to different sockets, some put the video or audio through the ground to all three, and those need to be re-wired to work.

Here is what I mean: http://pinouts.ru/Home/av_jack_pinout.shtml I would do it so that it was entirely like the audio, and then split the "ground" for the video.

I had some posts on this, maybe in 2005, I though techfreak was building a portable thing with it.

For making the Video you bridge the other S-video line with a ceramic capacitor, no biggie.

If the USB and the A/V was like this on the top (not to mention that the s-video would only need one more conductor, easily placed on the top too), then the GP2X would be almost perfect (and of course a proper stick or a d-pad), they should have done all three with the MK2 revision, so sad to see people with the HUA syndrome (Head Up Ass).

If, (hah), then we could have the VGA/HDTV out of the EXT as there would be plenty of room for it with the generic A/V and USB on the top.

If any hack with a soldering iron can put the USB next to the SD slot, then it should have been there from the start, yet all GPH does is smile and nod, happy that they are taking your money and oblivious to requests for simple and effective improvement of a device with so much potential.

DBH said:
Im gonna buy that keyboard but just need to find a nice dinky mouse to go with it.

I got a Targus, the little silver optical one that looks like a full-size one, but it is diminutive.

The MASTER said:
Can someone who's got one of these things take it apart and post some photos of the innards? I'm curious now.
+1, I can't believe that it is different from the Dev board, they can internally wire the jack and move the LED no problem.

Although the 5v+ is pretty strange, maybe they have re-done it.

OK, the sides are crazy, I ain't spending $50+ for something I need to cut/file down the sides, it just isn't happening.

Other than that (and the fact there still isn't a built-in Video out and a switch for S-video/regular video, or a packed in adaptor), I like it, cut the price $20 and I might be tempted.

At the very least we might start to get some USB support :D. Possibly even an sterm that you can use a shift key and number pad on :ph34r: :rolleyes: . Can anyone use the Bash without a shift key and number pad? I typed in ls and then I couldn't make a "-" for the "-ltr". Re-Tar-Ded (couldn't have typed that either, no caps :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I did not cut off the EXT port rubber cover. I simply opened up the GP2X and was able to easily remove it, without damaging it. That's the good side of the story: simple and accessible design. As for accessing the power switch, indeed, I can't see a solution other than filing a larger opening in the plastic siding. :(

Apart from that, there is a groove on the (left) back side of the cradle where the GP2X sits:

gp2x_cradle_rear.jpg

Perhaps it is meant for a future generation of the GP2X? Whichever way, as stated in a previous comment, this is pretty poor design. I guess you get what you pay for. This is unfortunate because the cradle looks lovely and otherwise works as expected. I fixed myself a 5V connector last night using my PC's power supply and was able to power a 120GB USB HDD using 2 slots on the cradle, plus a USB memory dongle.

If I can get Wifi to work (for browsing the web) + a USB keyboard to run, I will be a very happy puppy, design flaw or not.

As for external power, perhaps something like this would work to power the cradle :

NiMH Battery Pack 4.8 V 5000mAh

Thoughts?

Regards,
Jean-Philippe

Mine came in today and I like it. I have two 16 gig Corsair Flash Voyager drives and I hooked them up to it and they work.

jenfil said:
Apart from that, there is a groove on the (left) back side of the cradle where the GP2X sits:
Think I might know what the groove is for. Judging by the position I would guess it's a gap to let the wrist strap hang through (if you have one). If so that's great, they thought of the wrist strap but not the accesibility of the power switch and USB or the ext cover getting in the way :rolleyes:. Genius.
Still looking forward to getting it though. Will maybe have to do some modding I think.

Yep, the groove in the back left side is directly lined up with the wrist strap (which I have not attached yet).

As for the "sturdiness", the cradle is light, but it does have four little rubber pads that so far have kept it from moving around too much. The weight of the GP2X keeps it pretty stable.

jp

about not being able to access the power switch while its docked. i dont think you're ment to turn your 2x on before conecting to the bob, is it the other way around? do you connect and then turn the 2x on?

so confused AGAIN!! *slaps self with a trout*

You can access the power switch while it's docked. I put the gp2x in the cradle first than I turned the gp2x on.

I think we really should start using the phrase "doing a GPH" as a way of saying "I can't believe someone just did something THAT stupid" :D

But atleast it is possible to connect the power socket while docked, but that is probably just by accident :p

Concerning the access to the power switch, I think the photos pretty much show what the situation is. The switch *can* be accessed, but it's not well thought out - it's just too tight a squeeze.

As for the other question, it doesn't make any difference if you power the unit before or after putting it in the cradle.

jp

I dunno if anyone has asked this yet, but...

5V/3 Amps?!

What the hell is in that thing that requires that much juice?! Will it also be stepping down to power the first edition 2x too, or are we looking at a total of 4.5 Amps?

Blah said:
So the usb client port is unaccessible?

what about the compatibilty of all emulators using this cradle and usb joysticks. Do all emus work????

Ya its finally been shipped!! HA will get it tomorrow. Screw you telco you hippy! Finally it will be sent all those :p :p and :p I had to endure! *swings a trout over his head then throws it at telco* wooo

oh I guess this means the seize fire is over... er you can continue to fight Norm it's all cool :D

DBH said:
Ya its finally been shipped!! HA will get it tomorrow. Screw you telco you hippy! Finally it will be sent all those :p :p and :p I had to endure! *swings a trout over his head then throws it at telco* wooo

oh I guess this means the seize fire is over... er you can continue to fight Norm it's all cool :D
mine hasnt :(

i will fight on *prepares trouts for battle*

Back