The Cradle

retro-haven said:
On readng this thread I find I'm not alone in my irritation that the GP2X shop in the UK says they have an item available and allow you to order it when its not even released.

I say free next day shipping for all that ordered already under as a courtesy. At the very least refund the poor guys that shelled out for next day delivery!
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got a 'nice enough' dev set up. A fast card reader and the official devkit. Works just fine for me.

But it would be just so much nicer if the GP2X never had to come out of its cradle and all it took was to switch the input on the monitor from PC to S-Video and control the GP2X from a USB game pad.

I can dream....

Hello all,

First post. In trying to figure out what I will need in terms of power supply to power both the cradle and the GP2X, this is what I have understood so far :
  • The GP2X MKII is powered with 3.3V/2A
  • The cradle is powered with 5V/3A
  • The GP2X will not power the cradle
  • The cradle will not power the GP2X
Is this about right?

Furthermore, GamerSection just posted the cradle today on its web site with the following "caution" notes :

Quote :
  • Whenever you connect GP2X to Interface board, be sure to connect external adaptor to GP2X.
  • In case of 1st and second batch GP2X, you should always connect external regulated DC3V adaptor to Interface board.
  • In case of 3rd batch GP2X, you need to connect external adaptors only when you use high-power devices like HDD.
  • Whenever connecting external regulated DC3V adaptor to Interface board, be sure to turn off GP2X. In case you turn on Interface board after booting GP2X, Interface board will not operate normally due to improper initialization.
I am wondering about the part where it says : "...you should always connect external regulated DC3V adaptor to Interface board..."

What does this mean? The cradle could be powered either by a 3V or 5V adapter? This would depend on whether the GP2X is old or new generation?

Any more thoughts or insight into this?

Jean-Philippe

:lol: *

* translation: We still haven't gotten a straight answer.

I have a Developer's BOB and a MK1 GP2X. I need a 3.3V, 2A official GPH adapter plugged into the BOB in order for it to work ... and it works just fine with batteries in the '2X, even though the official manual states it also needs an AC adapter :p

I will say this about the cradle; I like integrated EXT plug and the compact design :)

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait a little bit longer for the info.

Otherwise, believe or not, I am mostly interested in this device travel purposes. I need text input functionality (with a *real* keyboard), and the possibility to download photos from my camera. Hopefully, the USB host will enable me to connect a camera (or an SD/Flash card) and work from there. MP3 playing was of course also a requirement. That being said, photo viewing and movie playing are very nice to have. Being a software engineer, I also very much look forward to tweaking the thing to my liking.

I've been waiting for a "USB host friendly" device for quite some time now. If not for its price (which has drastically dropped to 300$US on Amazon), the Archos PMA400 had been my ideal so far. Most devices out there with similar functionality have all been either wayyy overpriced or overly proprietary in terms of battery and internal HDD limitations for my taste. I very much like the fact that I can use normal batteries, or an external pack or my choice, as well as an external HDD with a capacity that suits my needs. So
yes, power requirements are a big issue.

I currently own an Archos Gmini 120, which has nice features I find. I purchased a laptop 120GB drive last week to replace the 20GB one that's in there, and figured I would also replace the slowly dying battery pack while I'm at it, but the recent cradle addition to the GP2X has grabbed ALL my attention, I must say. Had I previously been aware of the BOB's existence (without cradle), I might already have been very much enticed to go the GP2X way...

I can't believe that other PMP/PDA manufacturers have not thought it useful to be more Open Source minded. The Nokia 770/N800 are both very nice in this respect, but the developer community does not seem to be as thriving as what I've seen here.

Again, from what I've read so far in these forums, seeing how BlueTooth and WiFi are possibilities (!!), for its price mostly, but also its size, weight and pretty good looks to my taste - and *perhaps* its gaming attributes - the GP2X/cradle combo is a very good reason for me to go for it.

Audio input (microphone, line-in) would be the next big thing for me. Anybody know of any plans at GPH to add such functionality?

Regards,
Jean-Philippe

Quoted straight from http://www.gp2xstore.com

Overview
The commercial interface board plugs into the EXT port of the GP2X and turns it into a full computer with 4xUSB ports, RS232, Audio and Video out & Jtag.

Please note:
First edition Gp2x units require a 5V/3A AC adapter to power the cradle.

Non-first edition Gp2x units will power the cradle unless using a high powered USB device such as a HDD. In this case a 5V/3A AC adapter is required.
Description
-EXT port : Connects to GP2X EXT Port.

-RS232 Port : RS232 port for developers. Monitors operating status of GP2X.

-DC 5V/3A Adaptor Jack : Connects to Adaptor of regulated voltage of DC5V

-L-Sound Jack( RCA Jack ) : Left Audio-out port to TV or Monitor

-R-Sound Jack( RCA Jack ) : Right Audio-out port to TV or Monitor

-S-Video Connector : Video-out connector to TV or Monitor

-JTAG Port : JTAG port for developer. Recovers booting file.

-USB Host x 4 port : Connects to USB compatible devices like game controller, HDD, keyboard etc

-USB HOST operation lamp : If USB host port operates normally, relevant lamp will be lighted.

I see in other threads that this might not be all its advertised to be. I WILL excercise my consumer rights if it isn't.

I ordered 4 days ago under the fact that the gp2x store in the UK claimed to have them in stock and them ready to send. If I don't have confirmation or dialogue initiated by the seller over the weekend then I'll just cancel my order and go elsewhere at another time. I don't give a flying F*** if an item is not yet available - just don't lie to me and tell me it is. You try and support a UK business by paying a more than you could by using a foreign source and still you get shafted, well to those in charge f**k you, i'd rather import.

PS. it'd probably go a long way if the UK GP2x store actually stuck their heads above the parapitt and owned up to a cock up and bad advertising.

retro-haven said:
I see in other threads that this might not be all its advertised to be. I WILL excercise my consumer rights if it isn't.

I ordered 4 days ago under the fact that the gp2x store in the UK claimed to have them in stock and them ready to send. If I don't have confirmation or dialogue initiated by the seller over the weekend then I'll just cancel my order and go elsewhere at another time. I don't give a flying F*** if an item is not yet available - just don't lie to me and tell me it is. You try and support a UK business by paying a more than you could by using a foreign source and still you get shafted, well to those in charge f**k you, i'd rather import.

PS. it'd probably go a long way if the UK GP2x store actually stuck their heads above the parapitt and owned up to a cock up and bad advertising.
To be honest, a lot of us support Craig. He's hard working and a good man, and if we got the choice between you both, he'd win hands down. And you seem like an arsehole, so why not exercise your legal right and sue me for slander?

Nova said:
To be honest, a lot of us support Craig. He's hard working and a good man, and if we got the choice between you both, he'd win hands down. And you seem like an arsehole, so why not exercise your legal right and sue me for slander?
The way retro-haven put foward his frustration may have been inappropriate but your response is equally bad and likely to start a flame war. As much as I have been happy with the service I've received from gp2x.co.uk in the past (everything I've ordered has arrived quickly and the staff are helpful) I think retro-haven has a right to be annoyed at the fact that they stated the cradle was in-stock before the item was even released.

I just picked up my cradle 20 minute ago! Looks neat, although from what I see, the part in which rests the GP2X cannot be separated from the base (this would have made it less bulky when traveling).

jp

Zeladin said:
pcklee123 said:
just did the usb mod on my gp2x today (USB host connector at the top left corner). I also gave it a power input at the bottom. If anyone knows how to mod it so that tvout comes from where the headphones are currently connected, then there will be no use for the cradle for most people.
Are you thinking of replacing the er three pole jack socket? with a four pole jack for the video out? IE, L, R, Video, Gnd? That could work/ be quite cool, still I'd prefer not messing around with a load of cables... on the other there's 75E...

Yes if anyone has done this could you please post instructions? The advantage is that is that you would switch off the sound automatically when you plug in the video. The cable would be the ones used for the handycam which is easily available and much smaller than SVideo plus two other cables for sound.

Can someone who's got one of these things take it apart and post some photos of the innards? I'm curious now.

Oooh I just went back a few pages and saw a picture of the Keyboard that I just bought (Keysonic Nano) It's pretty cute and small, yet still usable - but it take a bit of getting used to to type normally. I'm just hoping it works with the gp2x cause it cost me £30 from Matlan. I also bought This mini mouse the other day in Staples too, cause it's soo cute. But I'm starting to wonder if a small mouse is impractical for actual usage.

In order to get the new GP2X to sit snugly in the new cradle, I had to actually remove the EXT connector's plastic cover! This is not very professional and makes one wonder about the entire design.

If not for this, I find the cradle is so far behaving as advertised. I still have not gotten a power supply (for the cradle), but a USB memory stick was usable and an external USB 120GB laptop HDD (powered through a second USB plugged into my PC) was immediately recognized.

jp

Back