The Coolest Dev Setup

slygamer posted on Oct 16 2006 at 05:59 PM said:
There is no disk drive in the device. An external CD or DVD drive would have to be connected via USB. That might make booting from a CD interesting. I have not checked out the BIOS options yet, though it must be possible because a recovery CD is supplied with the device.

The last time I used a Linux live CD it almost screwed my PC. It was a SimplyMEPIS Live CD that disabled the network adaptor when it shutdown. The problem was that the network adaptor remained disabled even when booting into Windows again. I tried this several times. The network adaptor was enabled and working in SimplyMEPIS, but was disabled after rebooting back into Windows. I fixed it by booting from the Live CD and then pulling the power, thus not giving SimplyMEPIS a chance to disable the network adaptor. Then I destroyed the SimplyMEPIS Live CD. Problem solved.

fluffyhamster posted on Oct 17 2006 at 06:26 AM said:
Edit: LOL, it's not even being released too the public yet :D
It's available at retail here in Australia. Where are you in the world? Maybe it is not available everywhere yet?

I hope the BIOS doesn't restrict too much seeing as how it's Sony :p

I live in the USA and the website says ships late October, and only has the option of pre-order.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....;Dept=computers

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! Starting at 2 grand. I could get a MacBook Pro for that kind of money. My interest has just disappeared.

It's fuckin sweet that you got one for free, though. I need a job like that.

fluffyhamster posted on Oct 17 2006 at 12:24 PM said:
I live in the USA and the website says ships late October, and only has the option of pre-order.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....;Dept=computers
Ahh. That is the next version, with 1GB RAM (was 512MB) and 40GB HDD (was 30GB). I couldn't find any information on the availability of that version here in Aus. The US version also has wireless internet through the Cingular network in addition to wifi and bluetooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back