The Coolest Dev Setup

slygamer

Website
Visit site
I just got my new toy, a Sony Vaio VGN-UX17GP Ultra Mobile PC. Just had to show it connected to the GP2X.

The quick run-down on the specs:
- 1.2GHz Intel Core Solo
- 512MB RAM
- 30GB HDD
- 1024x600 LCD touch screen
- Biometric fingerprint reader
- 2 cameras
- Wifi, Bluetooth
- 3 hour run time on standard battery
- Qwerty keyboard underneath sliding LCD screen

The keyboard isn't so great for coding (thumbs aren't the quickest digits to type with), but it is just so damn cool. :)

slygamer posted on Oct 15 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
In Australian dollars, $2499 (a smidgin over 1000 pounds).
That's not to bad a price for us mortals :)
Still...OUCH, a grand! :)

slygamer posted on Oct 15 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
For me, it cost nothing. Part of a bonus from work.
Could you, erm, lose that one my way and get another one from work? ;-)
Well I can dream can't I? :)

What's the OS on it?
Edit: Ah, I can just about see from the screenshot, it's WinXP of some desctipt.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a technological marvel no doubt, of course too expensive to consider it a practical investment. Too bad the battery life is not-so-hot though, but you can't have everything. Although for that price you should :p

- Alex

personal computers keep getting more personal ... the only thing that's caught my eye lately is the ultra-rugged and self-sufficient (crank power!) One Laptop Per Child ... hopefully to see the light of day and be purchasable for a higher price outside of developing countries!

DTH posted on Oct 16 2006 at 04:16 AM said:
Whats the use of connecting it to the 2x?
The simple answer is... because I can. :) The long answer is... having the full capabilities of a PC, it could be used for GP2X dev work. Put the thing in the supplied dock and add a USB keyboard, USB mouse and VGA monitor and you have the equivalent of a desktop PC.

In answer to a previous question, it runs Windows XP Pro.

Until it's Linux ready I won't be getting one. It is a neat little machine though. If not for the OS I'd be digging myself (deeper) into debt to get one. :)

Ravnos posted on Oct 15 2006 at 07:43 PM said:
Until it's Linux ready I won't be getting one. It is a neat little machine though. If not for the OS I'd be digging myself (deeper) into debt to get one. :)

I don't see whats not so Linux ready, just having to figure out how to install the linux is the hard part :blink:

Everything is pretty much standard hardware as far as I can tell. It uses Intel integrated graphics, an Intel wifi chip (for which I know there are Linux drivers available). The only thing you might have trouble with are the two cameras.

slygamer posted on Oct 15 2006 at 10:49 PM said:
Everything is pretty much standard hardware as far as I can tell. It uses Intel integrated graphics, an Intel wifi chip (for which I know there are Linux drivers available). The only thing you might have trouble with are the two cameras.

Does the bios let you read from a usb stick, or is there a disk drive hidden somewhere in there?

Edit: LOL, it's not even being released too the public yet :D

You might try grabbing a (K)Ubuntu EdgyEft beta live cd and see if the hardware works... on my laptop all the hardware is 100% supported on Edgy (it was around 95% supported on Dapper)

There is no disk drive in the device. An external CD or DVD drive would have to be connected via USB. That might make booting from a CD interesting. I have not checked out the BIOS options yet, though it must be possible because a recovery CD is supplied with the device.

The last time I used a Linux live CD it almost screwed my PC. It was a SimplyMEPIS Live CD that disabled the network adaptor when it shutdown. The problem was that the network adaptor remained disabled even when booting into Windows again. I tried this several times. The network adaptor was enabled and working in SimplyMEPIS, but was disabled after rebooting back into Windows. I fixed it by booting from the Live CD and then pulling the power, thus not giving SimplyMEPIS a chance to disable the network adaptor. Then I destroyed the SimplyMEPIS Live CD. Problem solved.

fluffyhamster posted on Oct 17 2006 at 06:26 AM said:
Edit: LOL, it's not even being released too the public yet :D
It's available at retail here in Australia. Where are you in the world? Maybe it is not available everywhere yet?

Back