The Communication Cube

Illinois researchers claim their lab lithium-air battery prototype achieves energy density close to gasoline. About four times the energy per weight than conventional lithium-Ion batteries (at room temperature). But just in the lab for now, of course.
They use a solid electrolyte made of Li10GeP2S12 nanoparticles embedded in a modified polyethylene oxide polymer matrix (materials sound relatively cheap but manufacture?) and a cathode of molybdenum phosphide (apparently cheap). I don't know about the anode, maybe just lithium?
Hopefully this would eventually (next decade with luck?) lower lithium demand to 1/4 but I suppose it will just increase it by opening electrification to new applications. Should help reduce cliimate change anyway unless people waste in flying cars or some such.

Illinois researchers claim their lab lithium-air battery prototype achieves energy density close to gasoline. About four times the energy per weight than conventional lithium-Ion batteries (at room temperature). But just in the lab for now, of course.
They use a solid electrolyte made of Li10GeP2S12 nanoparticles embedded in a modified polyethylene oxide polymer matrix (materials sound relatively cheap but manufacture?) and a cathode of molybdenum phosphide (apparently cheap). I don't know about the anode, maybe just lithium?
Hopefully this would eventually (next decade with luck?) lower lithium demand to 1/4 but I suppose it will just increase it by opening electrification to new applications. Should help reduce cliimate change anyway unless people waste in flying cars or some such.
I feel like I keep hearing these stories about battery magic, but for some reason they usually aren't coming to the market. I also read somewhere that this is because going from a lab and scaling the process to mass production can be difficult.

I feel like I keep hearing these stories about battery magic, but for some reason they usually aren't coming to the market. I also read somewhere that this is because going from a lab and scaling the process to mass production can be difficult.
Just like microLED displays.

Well, it's effort intensive and in this absurd capitalism with patents and stuff this means capital intensive with competition instead of collaboration, so individual successes don't agregate good enough. If your investors don't profit enough or the public fancies they wont't, the planet be damned.
On the other hand the problem of finding something that works in the lab is different from finding something that works in the real world.
And the problem of finding something that works in the real world is different from finding how to mass produce something that works in the real world.
So it's inevitable that only part of the solutions to the first problem are usable in the solution to the last problem.

@TrashyMG The documentary episode about Misa has just been released. Now there's just Miku to go.

Life with Peony episode no. ththg7i7ir:

Me Very tired and trying to get to sleep.
P: Still full of energy decides to sing Barry Manilo songs at me.

P earlier today: I'm cold.
P five seconds later: I want an ice cream.

Rumors: Moldova might return Transnistria (PMR) to Moldova, forcing out Russian forces. More rumors: Russia might pro-actively put more Russian forces and possibly actively defend this area and attack Moldova.
Quote: "As Ukrainian News Agency earlier reported, Moldovan Prime Minister Dorin Recean said that Russian troops should leave the Transnistrian region, which after that should become demilitarized."
Source: https://ukranews.com/en/news/916259-ukraine-ready-to-help-moldova-with-transnistria-zelenskyy

Random quote from today: "Falls sich China mit Russland verbünden sollte, gibt es einen Weltkrieg"
Subscription source (German): https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland...sland-verbuendet-gibt-es-einen-Weltkrieg.html

More updates:
Topic: Fragments of COVID-19 vaccine mRNA have been found up to 28 days postvaccination in blood from chronic HCV patients vaccinated with mRNA vaccines.
Source: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/apm.13294
Quotes:
"We surprisingly found fragments of COVID-19 vaccine mRNA up to 28 days postvaccination in blood from chronic HCV patients vaccinated with mRNA vaccines from both Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna."
"To our knowledge, our study is the first to detect Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 mRNA vaccine sequences in blood after vaccination, and therefore provides new knowledge regarding the timeframe in which the mRNA can be detected. This study examined a cohort of HCV-positive patients with presumed functional immune systems, as most of the patients can be cured, with negative HCV RNA 12 weeks after end of treatment with direct-acting antivirals. A future prospective study to establish the half-life of mRNA vaccines in vaccine recipients could be performed using mRNA vaccine-specific PCRs. These findings are interesting and should lead to further research into the design of LNPs and the half-life of LNPs and mRNA vaccines, but it should be emphasized that our data does not in any way change the conclusion that both mRNA vaccines are safe and effective."

Last edited:
I had to look it up:
HCV=Hepatitis C virus
LNP=liquid nanoparticles (the constituents of the capsule within which mRNA is delivered in the vaccine)

xiq4byWz.jpg

Reactions: rSl
Topic: Wizz Air, a Hungarian low-cost carrier, will stop flying to Moldova's capital Chisinau from March 14 due to security reasons.
Rumor: Is this related to the earlier announced intervention in the Russian claimed part of Moldova?
Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/ae...d-moldova-flights-citing-security-2023-02-27/

More covid related news.

Topic: Results from study regarding natural immunity against covid-19.
TLDR: Natural immunity from past covid-19 infection protects, roughly 90%, against severe disease against all covid-19 variants.
Source: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)02465-5/fulltext
Quote: "We identified a total of 65 studies from 19 different countries. Our meta-analyses showed that protection from past infection and any symptomatic disease was high for ancestral, alpha, beta, and delta variants, but was substantially lower for the omicron BA.1 variant. Pooled effectiveness against re-infection by the omicron BA.1 variant was 45·3% (95% uncertainty interval [UI] 17·3–76·1) and 44·0% (26·5–65·0) against omicron BA.1 symptomatic disease. Mean pooled effectiveness was greater than 78% against severe disease (hospitalisation and death) for all variants, including omicron BA.1. Protection from re-infection from ancestral, alpha, and delta variants declined over time but remained at 78·6% (49·8–93·6) at 40 weeks. Protection against re-infection by the omicron BA.1 variant declined more rapidly and was estimated at 36·1% (24·4–51·3) at 40 weeks. On the other hand, protection against severe disease remained high for all variants, with 90·2% (69·7–97·5) for ancestral, alpha, and delta variants, and 88·9% (84·7–90·9) for omicron BA.1 at 40 weeks."

Last edited:
Back