The Communication Cube

I saw on the news this morning that scientists have achieved a net energy gain from nuclear fusion for the first time. Well, I guess Biden solved global warming; what else can he do for you bitches?

I saw on the news this morning that scientists have achieved a net energy gain from nuclear fusion for the first time. Well, I guess Biden solved global warming; what else can he do for you bitches?
I don't know. I've heard there's a press conference right now somewhere in the USA.

I guess it's an important milestone, but practical applications and commercialization are still far away. It does look cleaner than gas or nuclear fission, but it requires enormous pressures and temperatures and I doubt how that
is going to be contained in a safe way in industry (not in a lab). They have now a 20% energy surplus, but they'll probably need more in order to make economic sense, since the equipment seems to be terribly expensive.
I'm more confident in distributed approaches, like wind or solar or better batteries, etc. There are also scientific advances in those fields often. AND SAVING ENERGY! less travel, less waste, etc.
But congratulations to the fusion boffins !

Last edited:
Twitter is relaunching its subscription service tomorrow. I think I’ll subscribe since you guys keep telling me to go to Twitter.

I thought Twitter would relaunch subscriptions at midnight Pacific, but apparently not. They need to hurry up before I change my mind about giving them money.

The Atlantic called Elon Musk a far right activist. I wouldn’t say that, but he does have a problem. The Left evolved their position on free speech to match changing environmental conditions, and Musk’s position on free speech should evolve too, instead of being stuck in the nineties.
I didn't like Twitter before, but it's looking worse and worse. Trust and Security council dismissed before the remaining members quit, Elonjet shadowbanned, content moderation understaffed, compliance staff fired, etc..

There's an easy way to ensure that it is. Just situate the company executive's offices next to the reactor.
Not sure about that. The engineer might be angry at the CEO asking again to make sure the plasma was painted in the corporate colour scheme, and he knew where the reactor and the CEO office was, so...

I didn't like Twitter before, but it's looking worse and worse. Trust and Security council dismissed before the remaining members quit, Elonjet shadowbanned, content moderation understaffed, compliance staff fired, etc..
It's getting better.
Musk asked workers to accept working infinite hours or be fired with 3 months pay. Now he's thinking twice about the 3 months pay.
He told the staff they couldn't work remotely any more. He even set up beds in the office. Now he's not paying the office rent.
Twitter seems not to be paying travel expenses either. They're also selling furniture and stuff.
The verification process works so fine that 3 officers of the Norwegian government are identified as Nigerian officials (including PM and foreign minister).
The bank who lent part of the money to buy Twitter are forgetting about getting it all paid back.
Sources: reuters, dailymail (I heard it on a mainstream radio, but only found this article online), euronews, forbes

What does Biden have to do with this, they're investigating this stuff for many years already.

What does Biden have to do with this, they're investigating this stuff for many years already.
Everything! Well, not really. See, the typical American likes catch phrases and to simplify complex things to just one simple to understand sentence. Which of course, everyone will interpret their own way.
Example: "They took our Jobs!" (when Steve Jobs died) or "Ladies and gentlemen, we got him" (when they tested positive for CoronaVirus) or even "Build the wall" (a renaissance of Pink Floyd's epic album).
It might sound like a joke, but honestly: because the media said "Corona" (the virus), sales of "Corona" (the beer) dropped.
Now, as for attribution to the President. True, it was not him per-se. But their academia is filled with interns (cheap student labour) that do the actual work, and do not feature in the paper, their mentors put their name on the results. So in this case by diverging a little amount of the money from defense to research... he contributed to the research, and without that money (and governmental policies to encourage this type of investigation) it would not have happened.
Of course, there's the maverick oddball too.

But think about it, it's even in our language. When a new dad says "I had a son!" (is that not unfair to the mother, that actually de-calcified herself to grow their child's bones?)

TL;DR: Governments encourage research by creating governmental policies and provide funding.

Everything! Well, not really. See, the typical American likes catch phrases and to simplify complex things to just one simple to understand sentence. Which of course, everyone will interpret their own way.
Example: "They took our Jobs!" (when Steve Jobs died) or "Ladies and gentlemen, we got him" (when they tested positive for CoronaVirus) or even "Build the wall" (a renaissance of Pink Floyd's epic album).
It might sound like a joke, but honestly: because the media said "Corona" (the virus), sales of "Corona" (the beer) dropped.
Now, as for attribution to the President. True, it was not him per-se. But their academia is filled with interns (cheap student labour) that do the actual work, and do not feature in the paper, their mentors put their name on the results. So in this case by diverging a little amount of the money from defense to research... he contributed to the research, and without that money (and governmental policies to encourage this type of investigation) it would not have happened.

But think about it, it's even in our language. When a new dad says "I had a son!" (is that not unfair to the mother, that actually de-calcified herself to grow their child's bones?)

TL;DR: Governments encourage research by creating governmental policies and provide funding.
You could see the president as responsible for a country, so a president owns all the good (and the bad) things that are achieved. "We couldn't have done it without him" probably doesn't really apply, but lets say it does as there is only one president compared to lots of people in government. The milestone reached is good, but it's not like they 'solved' the thing and we can now use this technology in practice yet. But it's a good start and we can all use a bit of hope that energy supply will be something we'll 'fix' soon. So I'll say: good job, well done ;-)

Yes.
or even "Build the wall" (a renaissance of Pink Floyd's epic album).
I thought Pink Floyd sang "bring down the wall!". If I remember the film. it was kind of the sentence against a "public enemy" who had been caught showing almost human feelings. Or the metaphore for the helpness caused by sincerity and honesty as opposed to the contradiction caused by social artifice and pretension.
Sure, the lead researchers in the press conference insisted that the research for inertial fusion energy started 60 years ago, when Biden was young but not so influential. Some say 100 years ago.
So this is an important milestone but there were many before and they need to be many afterwards in order to be useful.
He had a son. He didn't made a son. The woman made the son. The man at most helped kick out the pregnancy.
But since the verb have does not mean only possession but being part in a relationship, and the man is in a fatrher-son relationship with the son, that he didn't use to be in, then yes, he had a son.
Unless he is not acting as a father and just gave a little esperma or signed some paper or something, Then maybe he doesn't have a son. But it depends on the context and the meaning,
as you say short sentences can't convey good meanings.
Sure. And many governments must have done so (all over the world) for the last achievement to be possible. But good, the DOE put money there and there are results, the current president gets some credit.
I see a little too much hyperbole about the great abundance of cheap energy this unlocks. I think there's still a lot of progress to make and not so great practically, albeit great scientifically. I prefer more centered articles like this.
Is there reason to get excited about this news? The answer to that is a definite maybe.
But what I don't get is the military angle. They insist this will give the USA more nuclear deterrrence. Despite it being not so ripe for weaponisation yet, I though the H bomb was already doing some fusion ? What's so new about nuclear weapons with this achievement ?

I thought Pink Floyd sang "bring down the wall!".
You need a wall to be able to tear it down.

Unless he is not acting as a father
You become a father the moment you hold the baby in your arms. The moment is magical.

But what I don't get is the military angle.
It could be a deterrent to non-allied countries. Words have effects. Personally I think that it's classified and that's all we will get, for now.
Post automatically merged:

but it's not like they 'solved' the thing and we can now use this technology in practice yet.
True, but like with Lego, "we" now have a new piece to build stuff. (for certain groups of "we", I should say "they" until they share the tech)

Elon Musk banned Twitter accounts publishing flight records for violating Twitter’s anti-doxxing policy. Users pointed out that publishing flight records has been ruled protected free speech under the first amendment. I feel like there’s hypocrisy on both sides here.

Elon Musk banned Twitter accounts publishing flight records for violating Twitter’s anti-doxxing policy. Users pointed out that publishing flight records has been ruled protected free speech under the first amendment. I feel like there’s hypocrisy on both sides here.
Twitter hasn't changed much I would say. The only thing people appear to pay attention is that Elon bans an account he stated wouldn't be banned unless it would cause security issues.
It had caused issues according to Elon so the account was banned. And as always 20 new ones pop-up on other platforms, mostly platforms no one ever heard of. No real progress made, but at least twitter is in the news again.

Elon Musk banned Twitter accounts publishing flight records for violating Twitter’s anti-doxxing policy.
Yes, I suspect he bought Twitter just for that.
Users pointed out that publishing flight records has been ruled protected free speech under the first amendment. I feel like there’s hypocrisy on both sides here.
Why on both sides ? Flight records are public anyway.
Twitter hasn't changed much I would say.
I've heard compliance has disappeared. Pedos have it easier than they used to, etc. Twitter is kind of full self driving, and the human drivers jumped off, so expect crashes. In some languages there's just no moderation staff, etc.
But it's only hearsay, I've never used twitter.

The only thing people appear to pay attention is that Elon bans an account he stated wouldn't be banned unless it would cause security issues.
It had caused issues according to Elon so the account was banned. And as always 20 new ones pop-up on other platforms, mostly platforms no one ever heard of. No real progress made, but at least twitter is in the news again.

The only security issue is that private jets will kill us all through pollution and climate change.

Back