The Communication Cube

Keeping ideologies separated isn't always a good idea. Free software doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's there for a purpose and this purpose is often linked to real-life situations that are tied to other ideologies/struggles.

For example, plenty of free software people advocated Signal for people in countries with an oppressive regime. The problem is that in many cases, using Signal itself was a sign that you had something to hide and could lead to trouble with the authorities. For these people, it made a lot more sense to offer free software solutions that could rely on more widespread software (e-mail, Whatsapp, etc.)

Also, if you want to spread the use of free software, you have to give people actual use cases that are relevant to their lives and needs. Many people don't see any problem with using proprietary printer firmware, until you point out that a free firmware would let them use cheaper ink or have a printer that doesn't refuse to print a black and white page because the magenta is running low.

(Also, anti-abortion law are repressive: they're about taking away reproductive rights. Some people might argue that this is a good thing, but it's still repressive in itself)

Cinco de Mayo

3569865.jpg

Keeping ideologies separated isn't always a good idea. Free software doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's there for a purpose and this purpose is often linked to real-life situations that are tied to other ideologies/struggles.
The problem is that abortion is controversial and promoting it might cause people to want to disassociate from GNU. Free software is better for people regardless of what they think about abortion. Both sides of the abortion controversy could still agree on the issue of free software. But only when there is a separation of ideologies, because clearly anti-abortion folks are not going to want to link or donate to a pro-abortion project and similar for pro-abortion people and an anti-abortion project, respectively.

Also, you are presenting a false dichotomy anyway. They could have used the example without taking a side.

Also, anti-abortion law are repressive: they're about taking away reproductive rights. Some people might argue that this is a good thing, but it's still repressive in itself)
I guess it depends on your definition of repressive. The article might have meant it in a neutral way. It is actually not good to scrutinise single words like I did because everyone uses slightly different definitions so it tends to lead to misunderstandings.

Their main point is good though, it is time to disown anything Facebook. Unjust laws are likely to come. Privacy may become a matter of life or death, just like it often has been in the past. I am way behind my privacy measures, too.

Things have certainly changed since this video was made. :)

Some unreleased Half-Life related (Ravenholm) footage:

There are probably lots of unfinished or cancelled games. Like Half-Life on Dreamcast for example, which did leak so we not only know but can play it if we want.

The water is going to be turned off at my apartment building for a few hours today while they fix a leak outside. It’s all right, I’ve got a few bottles saved for situations like this.

Ugggh, starting Sunday, the high here is supposed to be above 86 degrees for five straight days. Well, forecasts can change. Weather like that only gets more likely as we head toward summer though.

@Nintendo Send me cool thoughts from upside-down land.

Back