The Communication Cube

What does the Pyra community make of the recent Audacity telemetry issue? I only really have Purism’s article and TLG’s video as points of reference but, given all the testing Pyra s/w is going under, I did wonder what perspective the Pyra community has on it?
I wouldn't mind it. As long as it was opt-in. It should be accompanied with a readme that asks me to enable it, and why/what they are going to do with the data, etc.
The data going to Google (and when my session starts+ends) actually feels like giving google a better looksie on why I'm suddenly using their google.com to search for samples or searching for songs on youtube.com (because I'm recording things). So I'm negative about them using the easy-to-add google analytics (it's so easy to add).
Knowing Musescore, it also means that a paid version will be in the make. And that to make that paid version more attractive, they probably will remove that filter everybody* uses (or hopefully, create a better one, and entice people to upgrade while discouraging the opensource community to duplicate the paid filters)

Filters clearly depend on what you are doing:

Recording guitar and voice? noise reduction, reverb, eq
Creating mixtapes? Crossfader, normalize
Creating your own karaoke song? Voice removal (easier than manual split stereotrack, invert one channel and join them back)
Digitizing your tapes/LP's? Clickremoval and Repair
Finding reverse masked messages in songs? Reverse
Playing around? Pitch shift and what not

I guess that it will also show how people are using it. Ofc, I still use version 2.3.2 from 2018 (the Bleeding-edge version for Debian ;) )
I also expect Debian to never present me with a version that wants telemetry.

I did wonder what perspective the Pyra community has on it?

sinking-ship-and-iceberg-stock-illustrations-csp38513870.jpg

Another fun note about tropical storm Andres: It was the earliest tropical storm to ever develop in the East Pacific. Really makes me think the Atlantic could start things earlier than ever too.

Edit: A search tells me that an Atlantic tropical storm has formed on January 3rd before, though I’m of the opinion that it should count as late instead of early. Stupid calendar.

Last edited:
Just dit some measuring on the bad scale:
Whit my a bit heavier work jeans and the stuff in it (Pyra, E-Book, IPhone, Keys, Notebook (Paper) Work Gloves, Swiss Army Knife, money Bag, I’m 70 kg ,
Whiteout, I have 66 kg .. seems like I got a bit weigh in the last few months, which is good ^^

Hey, um, you might’ve heard already, but a major US fuel pipeline was hijacked by Russian ransomware. The news said yesterday that there weren’t many effects just yet, but when I talked to my stepmother just now, she said the stations in my dad’s town were already rationing gas.

I might not get to eat out with my family tomorrow at this rate. Just as well, half the restaurants have gone to takeout only due to a worker shortage.

Yeah, I've not personally seen any evidence it was the Russian's behind this, but their systems have certainly been crippled by ransomware, which I largley blame them for because business operational systems when they're running a business like pipelines certainly shouldn't be on the same LAN as the office kids, and presumably if they've managed to filtch 100GBs of data off these systems they were either directly connected to the internet or proxied over some compromised machine that has access to both these machines and the internet.

Yeah, I've not personally seen any evidence it was the Russian's behind this, but their systems have certainly been crippled by ransomware, which I largley blame them for because business operational systems when they're running a business like pipelines certainly shouldn't be on the same LAN as the office kids, and presumably if they've managed to filtch 100GBs of data off these systems they were either directly connected to the internet or proxied over some compromised machine that has access to both these machines and the internet.
I'd agree with that. It seems to me that transportation of fuel is is a national security issue. Certainly in the US which is so heavily dependent on cars. And if it isn't a national security issue per se, it should have security at near national security levels, somewhat akin to the likes of power stations.

And given that, it shouldn't be possible for bad actors to perform ransomware attacks. But this is the US we're talking about, where the deregulation of the power grid led to the clusterfudge that means that people in Minnesota will end up paying more for their natural gas because Texas decided to go it alone to save money (up until they had a freak snowstorm). They probably cut corners in their cyber security to save money, and their short-sightedness is going to cost them big.

Meh, in my experience, there’s no such thing as cybersecurity. All you need is one person with physical access to the system, and you can do anything. This is a system that stretches hundreds of miles; I assume it has hundreds of access points.

Reactions: rSl
half the restaurants have gone to takeout only due to a worker shortage.
Sorry, what ???
I don't know about your place, but I thought the world over unemployment is rampant and the restaurants are hit by periods of being closed or capacity restricted because of COVID-19.
Now you're telling me many are takeout only not because they figured out is cheaper for them but because there's nobody willing to serve tables for a pay?
If it was lack of customers at tables because of COVID-19 concerns I could be even hopeful for humanity, but lack of waiters ? I'm glad if everyone there has found better jobs.

was hijacked by
There was an planned exercise in june; but forgot from which source I got it. Some fear, just like Event201, that it will mutate into a life exercise.
Not sure if Cyber Flag 2021, or other... the website has not been updated yet:

a worker shortage.
There is no worker shortage. People that were laid off found somewhere else to work.
If you laid off your workforce, you can not expect them to come back as if nothing happened, for less (because well, we are doing so baaaad I can't pay you the same amount I could in 2019). AND we could fire you again in autumn if we get shut down again due to new measures (aweful work-stability). Note that there's a difference between the chef and a student-waiter.

there's nobody willing to serve tables for a pay?

I think it's the Chef's and cleaners, till... those that make a living out of it.

@pyrat I’m just reporting what the restaurants are saying. They probably just need to offer better pay for waiters and bussers, but they operate on pretty slim margins already.

Can anyone lend me some fucking money? I'll give it back, honest.

Sorry, what ???
I don't know about your place, but I thought the world over unemployment is rampant and the restaurants are hit by periods of being closed or capacity restricted because of COVID-19.
Now you're telling me many are takeout only not because they figured out is cheaper for them but because there's nobody willing to serve tables for a pay?
If it was lack of customers at tables because of COVID-19 concerns I could be even hopeful for humanity, but lack of waiters ? I'm glad if everyone there has found better jobs.
Yeah, bar staff and waiters have apparently found better jobs to work at.

Yeah, Darkside were apparently active on Russian Language hacking forums, which pretty much makes them Russian I reckon, but they're just running a hack-as-a-service thingy apparently. I don't know the nationality of the customers of theirs paying for the hack.

Edit: That's a link^ Not sure why the forum isn't showing it obviously as such.

Last edited:
Back