The Communication Cube

Yeah, but what's the projected cost of this thing? I'd suggest until they get to extreme mass production levels they're going to cost more individually than each shot of vaccine costs.

Wikipedia’s page for pronic numbers has been whittled down a bit since the last time I saw it. They don’t mention pronic distribution, which is a cool probability distribution where half of numbers are 2 and above, one third are 3 and above, one fourth are 4 and above, et cetera.

I mentioned on GameFAQs once that I wanted to incorporate this distribution into a game somehow, possibly as a societal hierarchy in a life sim. Twos get to boss around half the population, threes get to boss around two thirds, and so on.

I don’t have a computer anymore, but FUZE4 for Switch is still a fairly powerful tool. I might see what I can cook up on it.

There are some reports that say the Colonial pipeline ransomware hackers got five million dollars worth of Bitcoin.

Next week: Everything is hacked, including our lawnmowers. Stay away from those.

There are some reports that say the Colonial pipeline ransomware hackers got five million dollars worth of Bitcoin.

Next week: Everything is hacked, including our lawnmowers. Stay away from those.
Yup, Interesting Engineering reported that too. Which begs the questions: if their initial explanation was that they had to shut it down because they refused to pay the ransom, why then did they actually shut it down if they did in fact pay the ransom and why should it take a week or more to turn back online if they didn’t have to shut it down in the first place...?

Yup, Interesting Engineering reported that too. Which begs the questions: if their initial explanation was that they had to shut it down because they refused to pay the ransom, why then did they actually shut it down if they did in fact pay the ransom and why should it take a week or more to turn back online if they didn’t have to shut it down in the first place...?
They shut the computers down as soon as they found they'd been compromised, even before trying to contact the hackers. I'd expect. I'd heard they'd paid off the hackers on the radio this afternoon, but wasn't sure whether that was to get a decryption key, or to prevent the exfiltrated data from being published. Even after recovering your locked data, you still need to redesign your network to stop this happening again, so it's not surprising to me they need some downtime to complete that.

Interesting developments on this story: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/05...ang-quits-after-servers-bitcoin-stash-seized/

Last edited:
That press release is a little odd, brushless DC electric motors are a well trodden technology. Your computer probably contains at least a couple of them. Doing it without a rare earth element magnet is new, and presumably if they're aiming these at cars they want them to perform better at higher loads, which is where currently rare-earth based brushless motors fall down, so why aren't they saying that in their press release?

The NHC just started issuing tropical weather outlooks for the Atlantic for 2021. Nothing expected in the next five days as of now. Their parent organization, the NOAA, is going to issue a forecast for the entire 2021 season on May 20th.

I've come up with a name for my unit converter program because I have too much time on my hands. My thinking on the subject started when I mentioned to someone or other, that if I added any more features to the program it would end up turning into EMACS. EMACS-like software is usually named something like <Name> Is Not EMACS. So Unit Converter Is Not EMACS or UCINE for short, then I thought there's no reason that I have to use the first letter of a word for the contraction. So the name ended up being, Unit converteR Is Not EMACS or URINE for short.

I was thinking “sunken cost fallacy” before I even watched that video, but he only briefly mentioned it. I’m pretty sure the $400 preorder and $200 in vouchers I’ve bought are my main reasons for supporting Pyra at this point. It does certainly help though that Pyra is the best thing ever with no flaws that my brain will let me remember.

Back