The Communication Cube

I just had a dream where people yelled at me, and the world ended by flooding. Didn't faze me much though.

I actually wish I could remember more of it. Seemed a bit prophetic somehow. Like, people had put a lot of stuff underground, and this seemed weird to me, because it's the opposite of what you should do in a flooding situation. Those people really messed up.

I use dd to create images in the main. You have to make sure you're squirting it at or from the right block device, but if you use /dev/disk/by-label even that can be relatively painless.
dd works on Windows?!

I'm remembering an article I read once, about how future cities may be built underground, but not the way you think. It was basically like a giant inverted pyramid, to take advantage of solar. A giant hole with stuff built along the edges, but there were several layers of edges, going all the way down to the bottom of the hole.

Again, this will be funny as crap when the world floods. Especially considering the warning they got with Katrina. Seriously, don't build stuff below sea level. Bad, wrong, wrong, bad.

dd works on Windows?!

When I wanted to get an iso or such onto a usb stick, I first tried YUMI, which makes the stick bootable, gives you a boot menu, and let's you put several boot media onto the stick next to each other. But some boot media didn't want to cooperate with that approach. I then used Rufus, which does just put the image onto the drive.
You can find both here

I think I ranted about calendars before, but I can't find the post. Anyway, calendars suck, and there's no way to fix them. Really sucks if you want a calendar in your game for some reason.

See, 13 months of four seven-day weeks each would almost work. Almost. Leaves you wanting for one day. Two on leap years. Yeah, we need to speed up the Earth's path around the Sun a bit. Maybe move it closer? I see no downside to this plan.

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
Are the recent two posts about Goethe Certificates spam?

Also, do we have a stream-of-consciousnesses thread? xD

Seriously, don't build stuff below sea level. Bad, wrong, wrong, bad.
As a Dutch, I feel chastised. Although I would understand when it comes to ExxonMobile.
See, 13 months of four seven-day weeks each would almost work. Almost. Leaves you wanting for one day. Two on leap years. Yeah, we need to speed up the Earth's path around the Sun a bit. Maybe move it closer? I see no downside to this plan.
Before the flood, in the legends of old, we had a 360 days/year. And the earth was not tilted. And the earth had no oceans, just sea's and there was vegetation all over the planet. Then something happened. Some blame the aggresive Atlanteans, some blame a meteorite.
This site has a list of all cultures still remembering 360: https://www.360dayyear.com/

I've read in the past more about this (in this book) it basically says not to mess with the planetary orbits because of the math that has too many dependant variables and we can not solve these yet (or ever).

The 'xiuhpohualli' was a civil as well as religious calendar comprising 365 days. These were divided into 18 'months' of 20 days each, giving a total of 360 days. To complete the year, a group of 5 days called 'nemontemi' or seriously unlucky days was added.
if solar year were exactly 360 days (instead 365.25) and lunar cycle were 30 days (instead of 29.53) we would have a "perfect calendar" based on 12 months of 30 days per month. Such calendar would would have perfect sync of the 12 lunar cycles with the solar year of 360 days.

I'd prefer 1a = 1kd = 1MMin. That'd almost give 1s = 1mMin1cMin, btw (if the duration of 1d would remain the same).

Edit: corrected brainfart

Last edited:
I may leave for a while. I know I've said that before. Seriously though, I have to get these voices worked out.

Someone outside my apartment called me stupid. I think they were angry that I'm not Christian. I mean, I don't even need to explain this to you guys, right? You can't use the Bible as proof of itself. That's not how reason works.

Reminds me of the self-evident truths in the Constitution too. Can't wait for that thing to be torn up. It was a nice try though. An irrational Constitution certainly holds up better than a rational one.

I think I'm ready to start doing projects again. I'm sick of things like stress and fear of failure stopping me from doing things that I want to, so I've decided to show them who's boss.

Projects in the pipeline

Unit converter (cm to in etc).
A platform game, because I've always wanted to make one.
The Bitsy game that I actually wanted to make (escape from island).
GUI notes program that saves notes in an encrypted file + possibly uses Markdown for formatting.
Mystery project using TeX/LaTeX.

Have started work on the unit converter, I'm doing it in Javascript so it will be available to use either via my website or as a .html file that you can run offline.
Have been thinking about releasing my future works under the following license.
I'm going to release a basic version first then extend it over time, just like I did with my youtube-dl frontend. Talking about the frontend, I won't be extending it any further, not due to stress reasons but due to it being feature complete (for my needs). Other people are of course welcome to extend it if they wish.

It turns out that the creator of the WTFPL V2 (Sam Hocevar) signed the anti rms letter, and is therefore a cunt. So I've gone with the Unlicense instead. In other news my photos are now GNU GPL3 (or later) licensed.

I use dd to create images in the main. You have to make sure you're squirting it at or from the right block device, but if you use /dev/disk/by-label even that can be relatively painless.
Do you prefer dd to GParted?
Post automatically merged:

When I wanted to get an iso or such onto a usb stick, I first tried YUMI, which makes the stick bootable, gives you a boot menu, and let's you put several boot media onto the stick next to each other. But some boot media didn't want to cooperate with that approach. I then used Rufus, which does just put the image onto the drive.
You can find both here
Have you ever tried Ventoy? Saw some comparisons between that and Rufus on alternativeto.net...

Do you prefer dd to GParted?
They're different tools for different jobs as far as I know. I'm still on MBR based systems here, so I still use fdisk myself, but that leaves me with a blank partition I need to either populate using mkfs or dd if I've already got an image I want to burn. Perhaps gparted lets you copy partitions around, I couldn't say.

Someone outside my apartment called me stupid. I think they were angry that I'm not Christian. I mean, I don't even need to explain this to you guys, right? You can't use the Bible as proof of itself. That's not how reason works.
Take care bro'. Note though that true Christians would not say those things. And Demons are just fine with non-believers. Besides, why care what others say?

As for the "You can't use the Bible as proof of itself", well that depends of what you are trying to prove. Lots of the bible was written before things happened. And they have matched history so far. And as what you read, you can read and not understand and that's ok, information will flow when it is needed.

Back