The Communication Cube

ElPoco

Very Active Member
I'd love a 2D cartoon animation compression. See, in cartoons, the frames stay still, while, only the mouth moves (this method is especially true in Anime, where it's mostly panning and the mouth movement is just 3 repeating frames that emulate speech). MPEG4 already did a good job in finding the differences and only sending those (ignoring the rest as "static frame", send once in a while as static keyframe), but it only looks at the previous frame, not a few frames back. Playback of that would require more memory of course, as it would need to remember many frames back (for example, a conversation between two alternating faces), and mid stream playback would be hindered too, you should only start from keyframes, but that one is just like MPEG, however, these keyframes would be further apart.
I remember reading litterature about that kind of video compression back in 2006. After checking it seems that H.264 allows to look back for 32 key frames, and if I remember correctly it also allows for dynamic keygrames. So a good multi-pass encoder should already be able to handle conversations with keyframes for each faces. I'm not sure about panning, but it might also be handled.

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
Linux question. I'm running Void Linux and since some months ago the character spacing in terminal emulators was off, it was too wide. Since I rarely used a terminal during that time, I only noticed it when double-clicking a rar file in spacefm, which invoked a terminal to run unrar. Now I looked into it to find that in the affected terminal emulators the font was set to none and setting something sensible fixed it.
I'm not sure, if I set it to something else at some point, but originally I used a bitmap font, which I can't find anymore in the selection. Has support for bitmap fonts been removed from some library, that's used by lots of term emus? Like tilda, termit, xfce term ...
(Maybe just the font has left my system)

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Because of the Pandemy, they now using more Shool Buses in my Hometown, one of them is quite Special as its an Yellow American Shool Bus from the 1990thes, its quite liked by the Kids so it have to make diverent Tours every Day because otherway its unfair for some kids that ditnt use this Tour (Line)
Well, some of our Streets are maybe a bit too small for this thing, but well, its still quite cool..
They wanted originally to sell the Bus, as the Bus Company is also a Shop for Used Buses, but now its used for this purpose ^^

Some Yeahrs ago i wanted to work in this company as Bus Driver, so maybe if this did work out, i would today drive this cool thing ^^

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
Today, I read a near death experience that was actually pretty straightforward about the meaning of life. Apparently, most worlds with life in the universe don't have suffering. Earth is one of the 'rare' ones that does. The suffering is actually necessary for the creation of life and all the non-suffering worlds though. It says the souls that come to places like Earth to suffer for the sake of creation are the most hardcore of souls, revered even by angels.

Here, have a link. Warning though, descriptions of abuse. https://www.nderf.org/Experiences/1sandi_t_ndes.html

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Well yes, shame and suffering are manifestations of the human condition as much as desire and love are. It's pretty clear that almost all mammals can also suffer if mistreated, unless you're one of those christian wonko's who believe that only humans have souls. Maybe birds too, but I've less experience of that, but I've barely mentioned half of the eucaryotes yet, and even those are a minority of all life on earth, so I can't believe that half of that can experience emotions like we do, and therefore suffer.

JDTAY

I like the part where it says God is unlimited, but has to limit himself to love and perfection, so he has us be imperfect on his behalf.

If that's the case, I've been pretty useful here on Earth. I've got this imperfection thing down pat.

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
Today, I read a near death experience that was actually pretty straightforward about the meaning of life. Apparently, most worlds with life in the universe don't have suffering. Earth is one of the 'rare' ones that does. The suffering is actually necessary for the creation of life and all the non-suffering worlds though. It says the souls that come to places like Earth to suffer for the sake of creation are the most hardcore of souls, revered even by angels.

Here, have a link. Warning though, descriptions of abuse. https://www.nderf.org/Experiences/1sandi_t_ndes.html
You've just got a glimpse into their mind, probably are part, they themselfes don't see often.

JDTAY

Sometimes I worry I haven't suffered enough in life. Yeah, it's a strange thing to worry about.

Is it weird to be jealous of people who have come back from death? Not just the experience, but the fact that most of them seem so good at fulfilling their purpose in life.

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
Sometimes I worry I haven't suffered enough in life.
That doesn't seem healthy. Meet a psychologist. Or you've really been naughty and your conscience is functional.
most of them seem so good at fulfilling their purpose in life.
No such thing as a purpose in life. You may chose to give one to yourself or let others do it, but there's none given from the beyond. There's no the beyond - practically speaking. If there is or would be, it makes a shitty job at letting us know. And if it is and is unable to let us know in a useful way, it shall not expect us to believe and give us its trueths, when we arrive and of course not expect us to know any of that shit beforehand.

JDTAY

I have a psychiatrist. Haven't seen my actual therapist since the pandemic began, I think. I should try to hook something up.

FBnil

There is 1 impostor among us.
Is it weird to be jealous of people who have come back from death? Not just the experience, but the fact that most of them seem so good at fulfilling their purpose in life.
Depends, because you can see it in two ways:
There is a difference in walking the path and knowing the path.
If you are walking the path, each next step seems uncertain, but once you make it, it's an inner-win.
If you know the path, then, although most people won't feel forced, all steps are pre-defined. This can give you either peace of mind, or anxiety of failure to keep the path, or rebellion because your decisions have been taken away.
You have more responsibility when knowing to "be all you can be". So don't be jealous for that.
Otoh, seeing He-who-is-that-he-is, is a big wow too.

peb

Still Fresh
just chatting ... any news on the Pyra and the delivery times? Having prepaied and so ...

Reactions: rSl