The Communication Cube

None of the afterlifes that I've read about have sounded particularly exciting to me
Valhalla sounds like fun, you can do any crap there without permanent consequences.
in my understanding buddhism says essentially:
life is suffering per se and a way to end this suffering is to understand this, stop being greedy and act accordingly.
a meaning of life could be to try to reduce suffering.

but somehow i don't belive into the whole rebirth thing. maybe it's a trap?
the thing i know is that death is pure sadness.
not so much for one self, but for others left behind. so one should avoid it as long as possible.
and this makes life really hard sometimes...
The goal in buddhism is to reach Nirvana, which is basically escaping the circle of suffering by not being reborn again.

Relevant:

Without any "suffering" there is no context to really appreciate happiness and the truly good things that happen.

Modern technology and Buddhist pursuits are not compatible as one aim with the Buddhist belief is to become content with little and to not want for more. Technology is essentially an addiction.

Reactions: rSl
That part seemed plausible, but then there's this part where it says Jesus himself sinned while on Earth in order to understand sinners. I'm not gonna touch that with a ten foot pole.
If Jesus sinned then his sacrifice would have been for nothing. Jesus sinning before his death contradicts the Bible.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry about all that, my crappy life just keeps me really interested in the afterlife. With my luck, it'll probably be a bunch of abstract Buddhist crap instead of anything pleasurable though.
Who is not interested in what happens after death? It's your future and could last so long to make your life here seems like an exhalation in comparison. Some people lived only ~80 years and have now been dead for thousands of years. I'd certainly like to know what happens during those thousands of years. I think it's crazier to not be interested in what happens after death.

Without any "suffering" there is no context to really appreciate happiness and the truly good things that happen.
Modern technology and Buddhist pursuits are not compatible as one aim with the Buddhist belief is to become content with little and to not want for more. Technology is essentially an addiction.
Imho technology is the ultimate way to reduce suffering in life for all parties involved (human and non-human alike) if done right, although most companies have no interest in that.

Imho technology is the ultimate way to reduce suffering in life for all parties involved (human and non-human alike) if done right, although most companies have no interest in that.

Indeed. It's a double-edged sword. We are heavily reliant on it though, rather than it simply working to assist when we really need it.

Not that meaningful of an observation. The same goes for hands or empathy.

That wasn't the point. The point is that we're basically dependent (mentally and emotionally) on technology. Remove it, and most of us would not be able to cope. On the other hand, there are times (e.g. in medicine) where it is essential.

Valhalla sounds like fun, you can do any crap there without permanent consequences.

You have have to die in combat to get there though, also you have to do more fighting when you get either there or Fólkvangr depending on which deity wants you, Odin or Freyja. Which isn't something that appeals.

• Sad
The point is that we're basically dependent (mentally and emotionally) on technology. Remove it, and most of us would not be able to cope. On the other hand, there are times (e.g. in medicine) where it is essential.
Only because technology gives us freedom and we use that freedom. So we position ourselves, where we couldn't do without the technology, that got us there. E.g. with fire, clothing, housebuilding my predecessors could go to where Germany now is. Take all that from me, and I'll die latest at wintertime. Put me in a warm climate, somewhere where there grow fruits in abundance, and I'll do just fine even without hunter-gatherer-tech or fire.

Steam has a weeklong game festival starting later today. It's mostly just a bunch of limited time demos and livestreams of upcoming games. I don't know why they wouldn't do it at the same time as their summer sale, which is rumored to start next week. Maybe they're afraid of traffic?

I don't remember the bible saying that. But I'm currently reading John Milton's Paradise Lost and it does suggest he was created before the garden of eden existed. Milton does seem a little confused by the chronology though, as he describes him as being 'of Mary' many generations before Mary's time, but that's perhaps forgivable given when he wrote the poem.

It does depend whether you believe in the christian paradigm that he was the son of god, or in the muslim paradigm that he was a phrophet. Or the monty python paradigm where he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

I don't remember the bible saying that.
Jesus himself often implied or said that he came from heaven:
John 3:13
John 6:38
John 6:62
John 8:23
John 8:42
John 8:58

And he was said to have been the first that was created:
Collosians 1:15

According to the Bible Jesus had a pre-Earthly existence and was the first to exist of all of creation. During the time between the start of creation and Jesus' birth as a human baby, Jesus was the highest ranking person in all of creation (only being outranked by God but God is not part of creation). So Jesus was far from being a normal human being. He's probably the most humiliated person in the Bible going from the highest ranking and most powerful being in creation to a helpless baby to being hanged as if he was a criminal. Though afterwards he was restored to his rightful and original place making him also the most exalted person in the Bible as well.

As for Muslims, I'm not really familiar with them. But putting Jesus as a normal human being or regular prophet definitely contradicts many parts of the Bible.

<first_world_problems>I like to have as few accounts as possible so I've been wondering whether it would be best to have a separate blog + photo site, or whether it would be best to combine the two using Mastodon or something similar.</first_world_problems>

And there I was, thinking god, the holy ghost, and jesus were three sides of one and the same magical being.

And there I was, thinking god, the holy ghost, and jesus were three sides of one and the same magical being.
That's common misconception that may be based on a text that was later added to some Bibles (1 John 5:7) and hence is not canonical. The truth is that this view contradicts many parts of the Bible since Jesus posses many qualities that God does not have. E.g.:
- God has no beginning, Jesus was created (Psalms 90:2) (also this is implied by the texts I gave previously since Jesus was the first thing created and God created Jesus hence God was there before the first thing that was created)
- God has no end, Jesus has died (Psalms 90:2)
- Jesus said that not his will but God's will must happen (Luke 22:42)
And many more.

Not all "Christian" religions are really based on the Bible. False Christian teachings were actually prophesised in the Bible (Matthew 24:5) (Matthew 24:24) (2 Peter 2:1). Related to this is why Christians do not believe in Mohammed as a prophet (Galatians 1:8). Supposedly Mohammed spoke to an angel in a time during which the Bible states this would not happen anymore.

But really to understand the Bible one should read the context of those texts as well. I've made mistakes in my understanding of some Bible texts that were later corrected by reading the Bible through and thus learning about the context of those texts. The Bible is written in such a way that it can only be easily understood by also reading it through because almost every text depends on context from other texts.

Back