The case of the case.

... I guess you could have best of both worlds, some nice comfy curves which don't bulk it out too much
That's what I meant.  Instead of flat bottom, make it curvy similar to the circle pad pro so it's not that much thicker, me thinks.

Edit:  I like curves :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad. Would moving the nubs a few mm inwards help? I'm not even sure if the nubs really need to be perfectly symmetrical, it could be fine to keep the left nub where it is and move the right nub a couple of mm to the left.

In the GG layout, the new buttons are in the top right; I would put the new ones on the bottom left, so the main 4 buttons are mostly in their Pandora location (just a bit higher but that's OK).

I'm fine with anything that keeps the 4 main buttons easily reachable, in the same cross shape. If we decide to go for 6 buttons, it does make more sense to have a 2x3 layout -- I can live with the current proposed layout too, but I agree with GG that 2x3 is better.

Moving the nubs more than 5-10mm would be too much (nub comfort would start to suffer), but a few mm would be no problem imo.
About the positioning of the cross-buttons. I had put them inwards specifically because I figured moving what would be most people's "main" buttons to the edge would require a more loose grip than most people would likely prefer to have for their Pyra. Also, by having the extra two near the edge of the device, that allows them to fall down slightly and thus fit buttons in that area easier while avoiding conflicting with the screw hole.

-God Ginrai

... I guess you could have best of both worlds, some nice comfy curves which don't bulk it out too much
That's what I meant. Instead of flat bottom, make it curvy similar to the circle pad pro so it's not that much thicker, me thinks.
Oh you were serious? I thought the smiley might have meant to were taking the proverbial ;)

The CPP still strikes me as too bulky for me to carry about with me much of the time. I do like the look of the 3DS and other modern electronics though that look less like an empty box with stuff in as a solid block with a screen and buttons in. I'm not sure how it achieves that effect with me - perhaps in how it hides its seams, or how the case can be thicker in the corners where there aren't any buttons, but I'd like it if the Pyra could learn some of the design tricks from that sort of device.

Nintendo DS-sized devices like the Pandora are simply too small to comfortably hold and look at any other way than open ~180 degrees
The DS and 3DS have two lock positions, one at 160 degrees and the second at almost 180 degrees (just a little shy, like 175 or something).
The Pandora opens to a fixed 170 degrees. A lot of people have lamented that it didn't have a similar two lock hinge. I know I hold mine at around 160 degrees a lot. It's actually quite comfortable when lying in bed, for example; the extra ten degrees lets me rest my hands more.
As long as there's one that's at least as wide as the Pandora's 170 degrees, I'll be fine with it but I do agree that having a pair of DS-like locking stops would be superior.

That's what I meant.  Instead of flat bottom, make it curvy similar to the circle pad pro so it's not that much thicker, me thinks.

Edit:  I like curves :)
I'm wary of that idea but, as long as it doesn't impair the Pandora's ability to sit on a flat surface like a tiny laptop, I'll withhold my judgement.

Am I the only one who is slightly worried about the keyboard and the fact that all the keys seem to be smaller than on the current Pandora ? 

I don't mind the function keys to be smaller, but the actual alphabetic keys are the ones used for typing and making them smaller carries a certain risk for thumb typing...

Am I the only one who is slightly worried about the keyboard and the fact that all the keys seem to be smaller than on the current Pandora ? 

I don't mind the function keys to be smaller, but the actual alphabetic keys are the ones used for typing and making them smaller carries a certain risk for thumb typing...
Slightly worried, yes. I think it's very wise of ED not to make the buttons any less wide than on the Pandora (even though there is some temptation to do that since it would help for international layouts). I'm not sure what the effect of the reduced height of the keys will be. I hope it's not that bad, given that the area of the thumb that I use for typing is not a perfect circle either but rather a mostly horizontal oval.

I hope it's not that bad, given that the area of the thumb that I use for typing is not a perfect circle either but rather a mostly horizontal oval.
I have several concerns myself:

- I have big thumbs (and I can't do anything about that :-/ )

- Something smaller than the current keys is bound to hurt a specific area of your thumb during repeated use

- lack of precision

- durability of the keys -> may be affected as well by their smaller size.

I wouldn't say that I am particularly worried, but I do wish we could have kept the square keys. However, I'll never know how I really feel about them until I try them in person, so I'm reserving judgement until then.

-God Ginrai

However, I'll never know how I really feel about them until I try them in person, so I'm reserving judgement until then.
Agree, but by the time you try them out, it will be too late to make any changes, most probably. Or the changes required will add a long time to the development timeline -> need new case and new keymats, and potential new layout... 

1. LCD testing

As you know, 1080p is causing issues with rotation, so we'll try out a 720p one (well, two, to be exact) together with a chip that can do tear-free scaling and rotation up to 720p to solve that issue.
Nice to hear that there isn't only one alternative regarding the 720p display. Just out of curiosity: is the 1080p still an option?
2. New Base PCB

Nikolaus is working on finalizing the base PCB (the one with the keyboard, Wifi chip, etc.)
So after Nikolaus work is done on that, we get an official/final announcement, what features (in terms of functions (buttons, keys, motion control, etc.) and connectivity (usb, video, wireless, etc.)) the Pyra will offer ?
4. The status of the case

... the first design files from FormAction have arrived.
As it looks like we get three/maybe five status leds:- two on the inside: Whats the purpose of them ?

- one in the lid.

- maybe (can't see any holes for them on the render though) two on the sides of the SC-Cards slots to show SD activity

Sad that we see a decrease in features(or better usefullness) here, but not a dealbraker. But if we give away that, maybe we can get rid of those (don't know how to call it) "bulges" that sit left and right of the hinge on the base (houseing the lightpipes and the mic-hole on the Pandora) ? Maybe a more "laptop" style hinge concept (meaning two more narrow hinges than one extra wide) is possible then ?

You wrote at some point that the case material may be carbon fiber reinforced. Is this still something thats on your mind, or is the idea already dismissed (due to costs or whatever) ?

Will there be a redesign of the battery lid ? Looking at the forum and the support system, one of the things that will brake no matter what are either the bending clips or one/two/three of the very thin pegs on the other side. Could this be avoided for the Pyra please ?

I remember one of the early Pandora prototypes had a slider lock mechanism, why was that idea dismissed at the end ?

As everyone else already did: thanks for keeping us that close on the design process.

Those mockup pictures make me feel so comfortable and hopeful.  Thank you for your effort.
No need for thanks. I want this to happen, thus why I'm making mockups to show it is possible. :)

-God Ginrai

The case company said that it wont work : the plastic would be too thin and break. Is that what you want ?

Since there seems to be a bit of concern regarding the size of the keys as well as the layout of the action buttons: would increasing the case by a few mm be an option? Since no parts have been produced so far (at least afaik) this looks like a good choice to me.

However, I'll never know how I really feel about them until I try them in person, so I'm reserving judgement until then.
 Agree, but by the time you try them out, it will be too late to make any changes, most probably. Or the changes required will add a long time to the development timeline -> need new case and new keymats, and potential new layout...
 That's true. I have no problem with other people who value the usability of the keyboard trying to make sure it is done right. I am merely saying that for me it is something I can reserve judgement on. :)

Those mockup pictures make me feel so comfortable and hopeful.  Thank you for your effort.
No need for thanks. I want this to happen, thus why I'm making mockups to show it is possible. :)

-God Ginrai
 The case company said that it wont work : the plastic would be too thin and break. Is that what you want ?
The case company said no such thing. EvilDragon never made such a comment about the case company.

-God Ginrai

Since there seems to be a bit of concern regarding the size of the keys as well as the layout of the action buttons: would increasing the case by a few mm be an option? Since no parts have been produced so far (at least afaik) this looks like a good choice to me.
I would take the current layout over increasing the size of the case in order to fit any other layout. The Pandora is already on the verge of no longer being pocketable, and increasing the size of the Pyra for every semi-desirable feature is really the only way to lose my order. If I prefered ergonomics to pocketability, I would buy a shield and a travel keyboard.

Maybe that is a bit of an exageration. I'm supporting Pyra no matter what. Maintaining pocketability is still a priority for me, however.

I don't want the buttons to be closer or smaller and nubs will also be less egonomic if they are farther from edges. I think button are good as they are.

Why do you want to make it less comfortable for all the games and everyone just to make it more comfortbale for few games for few people?

I don't want the buttons to be closer or smaller and nubs will also be less egonomic if they are farther from edges. I think button are good as they are.

Why do you want to make it less comfortable for all the games and everyone just to make it more comfortbale for few games for few people?
This is not less comfortable. The size of the buttons would not change. The distance on the buttons would match the diameter of the dpad, something which people praise on the Pandora. And this can be done without moving the nub.

-God Ginrai

The size of the buttons would not change. The distance on the buttons would match the diameter of the dpad, something which people praise on the Pandora.
Maybe but  buttons will no longer be aligned like the d-pad so it would not make sense.

X would not be below Y, A would not be aligned with B. and the distance between A and B will no longer be the same as X and Y. It's all worse.

The size of the buttons would not change. The distance on the buttons would match the diameter of the dpad, something which people praise on the Pandora.
Maybe but  buttons will no longer be aligned like the d-pad so it would not make sense.X would not be below Y, A would not be aligned with B. and the distance between A and B will no longer be the same as X and Y. It's all worse.
Actually, that's not true either. My proposed suggestion keeps the standard cross-pattern of the ABXY that many people here seem so fond of. Through the original 6-button topic, I came to realize how important that issue is to many users here, so I made sure to include it in my designs. It's basically the standard cross and then 2 more buttons in the north-east direction from the cross.

-God Ginrai

My Pandora is still a 1/2" shy from filling my Pelican 1050.  If the width is increased to 6" it will fit this case better than the Pandora does.  And my thumbs both seem to be able to reach the middle of the case while it is this wide.  I know that some people have very short tight pockets, and any protective case is going to make the Pyra unpocketable anyways, but I have trouble imagining myself ever carrying something as valuable to me as this without a bombproof case.

Back