The case of the case.

Will the screws still screw into plastic like Pandora now?  Would love to see this is not the case for Pyra.  And don't forget the four shoulder buttons :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say the red appeals to me at all.

Black or a dark blue would work. I could live with the sky blue of the prototype, but I'd prefer a dark colour with a matte finish.

- Neelix

The color doesn't have anything to do with the final case.

It's a prerendering from Sculpteo (where I'm doing the test prototype prints).

Completely different plastic and color.

I can't say the red appeals to me at all.

Black or a dark blue would work. I could live with the sky blue of the prototype, but I'd prefer a dark colour with a matte finish.

- Neelix

I don't like blue.

I think it's probably best to use a neutral color like black or dark gray -- everyone can live with that, and it's timeless.

If the logo has an RGB led, then you can customize it to whatever color you like. I'm imagining something like this:

zenity --color-selection --title="What color do you want for your Pyra logo?" > /sys/pyra/led/logo/color

That would be pretty cool.

Nintendo DS-sized devices like the Pandora are simply too small to comfortably hold and look at any other way than open ~180 degrees
The DS and 3DS have two lock positions, one at 160 degrees and the second at almost 180 degrees (just a little shy, like 175 or something).The Pandora opens to a fixed 170 degrees. A lot of people have lamented that it didn't have a similar two lock hinge. I know I hold mine at around 160 degrees a lot. It's actually quite comfortable when lying in bed, for example; the extra ten degrees lets me rest my hands more.

Hope the case will be fixed in a way you don't get the Pandora marks when playing for some time.

(-> rounded edges).
Yes, these sharp edges on top should be redesigned, they are still in the early renders, I hope this will change. Because the Pyra Case will be made out of new molds, I see no real need to stay that close to the original "brick" design of the Pandora. I would like to see more streamlined version and again, get rid of these edges please.

To make it more clear:

post-1-0-31368000-139obidx.png

Will the screws still screw into plastic like Pandora now?  Would love to see this is not the case for Pyra.  And don't forget the four shoulder buttons :)
Metal-inlays would be indeed a much better solution, I hope ED doesn't choose the cheap way that causes so much trouble with the Pandora where the screws basicly destroy the plastic they are drilled in.

And I'm also for a metal hinge, I hate this loose, squeaky and wobbling hinge of my Pandora, this just feels cheap, which is bad for an 500$ Device. 

I also hope these 2 extra Action Buttons are not in the way when using  the normal ones, I have thick fingers. ^^"

Thank you for that resume

Fatih has gotten samples of the modified (bigger) battery [...] Once we got the battery, we can check whether we can make them fit the case or not.
I guess you'll try  some 8000mah or at least more than 6000mah and you don't want us to hope. Damn that would be amazing if we can get a monstruous battery life.

Thank you for that resume

Fatih has gotten samples of the modified (bigger) battery [...] Once we got the battery, we can check whether we can make them fit the case or not.
I guess you'll try  some 8000mah or at least more than 6000mah and you don't want us to hope. Damn that would be amazing if we can get a monstruous battery life.
8000 is twice the pandora battery capacity. It will be approximately twice the size so I don't think it's gonna happen.

I'm hoping for 6000 mah which will make it about the same capacity as a generic 8'' tablet

Twice the battery capacity than Pandora is a bit overkill, IMO.

The only time I feel a bit limited by Pandora's battery capacity is when using WiFi due to turning it's power saving features off. If the new WiFi chip won't have the same issues, then 6000mAh should be plenty battery to go around. I suppose the 3G module won't be any worst that WiFi is (at least that's how it is for smartphones for example).

If Pyra can really eat up a fully charged 8000mAh battery in a modest amount of time, then I would be more worried about it suddenly bursting into flames (would live up to it's name in that case :lol: ).

Out of curosity, do we yet know if the D-pad will end up glued to the keymat like on the Pandora, or if it will be similar to the action buttons (you know, with a bit of a flange)?

Also, I'm hoping for a laptop-style hinge (I'll understand if that doesn't end up working out though..).

Coat that thing just like a thinkpad and I'll probably start sleeping naked and huddle the pyra under the sheets XD

8000 is twice the pandora battery capacity. It will be approximately twice the size so I don't think it's gonna happen.
Not exactly twice because twice is 8800. It would be just adding the cells without the protective coating and connectors so won't be twice the size anyway and there is some space which left in the Pandora's battery compartiment and the battery's lid will probably be done with a better and thinner plastic.

That's why Ed said that twice the pandora's battery capacity may could fit without enlarge the case.

Twice the battery capacity than Pandora is a bit overkill, IMO.
What will be cool is to be able to chose between 4800 and 8000 since both would fit.

Those early case renders look great!

I -like- the four normal + 2 small button arrangement for the 6 button layout.  That is pretty much perfect.

I'm a bit concerned about the far lower left and far lower right keys getting hit by the palm of my hand during use - those keys go out into that corner quite a ways.

Lanyard/strap hole - it looks like this may be that little rectangle in the middle of the back edge of the case.  If there are plans for a docking station (hinted at), then this position may be problematical.  Having to remove the strap to dock, then re-thread it when undocking...

Maybe consider putting the lanyard/strap hole(s) on the left &/or right edge of the case bottom?  May need two to make it ambidextrous.  Personally, I put the wrist strap off of a cheap flashlight on my Pandora and use it looped on my left wrist.  It's saved my Pandora from a few oops/falls.

Hinge - please give some consideration to a user-set friction device for the hinge?  There were some gorgeous renders of a red case design idea with a knurled knob for adjusting hinge tension.  I think they may have been made by mrbazil2k in this thread:  http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15295-yet-another-concept-for-the-new-pyra/page-5

But all of the pretty pictures and animations are sadly gone - were links that exist no more.  Did anyone happen to capture those images?

Back