The biggest computer/gaming mistake you have ever made.

well, actually I could get electrocuted, as solder is conductive and I'm holding that one, but never did because I wasn't grounded. Although, now that I think about it, there was one time I was soldering something on my bike, so I was on concrete, and bare foot, as you can imagine, I got a good shock there.
I once helped my uncle doing some arc welding. Held a hand on the workpiece, yes indeed barefoot on concrete. An arc welder outputs quite a bit of amperage, I can tell you...I was shaking ten minutes afterwards.

Never told my mother that :)
You could have died. :(

In 2010 I bought a netbook with a intel Atom N450 for $450 just because it was small and a tablet convertible. At the time I wasn't into gaming, so I guess it was fine, but it could barely run Win7 Home Premium. At least it was able to run Ubuntu with cycles to spare.

In 2010 I bought a netbook with a intel Atom N450 for $450 just because it was small and a tablet convertible. At the time I wasn't into gaming, so I guess it was fine, but it could barely run Win7 Home Premium. At least it was able to run Ubuntu with cycles to spare.
Did you know that you overpaid by like $200?

I once helped my uncle doing some arc welding. Held a hand on the workpiece, yes indeed barefoot on concrete. An arc welder outputs quite a bit of amperage, I can tell you...I was shaking ten minutes afterwards.

Never told my mother that :)
You could have died. :(
I am well aware of that - The point wasn't lost on me :D  

Probably a wise choice not telling your mother that....
For your uncles sake .
Exactly.

I do love my daftly underpowered Atom netbook, though. For gaming? Nonono. For work or websurfing when traveling or commuting - Oh yes! Weighs almost nothing, no bulk...Excellent. Then again, I buy them cheap and secondhand...

My biggest mistake was to think, that ultra-portable ATOM platform would be the future of (my) mobile computing. The UMID M1, UMID BZ and Viliv N5 were nice at first glance, but after I spent roughly 2000 Euro on such machines, I realized that they have their teething troubles, and both companies, UMID and Viliv, vanished from market, before they could release successors overcoming those issues. Spare parts? No way. Battery life? Compared to the Pandora it was ridiculous. Spare battery? For that price you could buy a mobile phone. Support/drivers? If you were lucky, you could find them somewhere online, but not on the web site of the manufacturers. Community? Somewhere hidden inside the large UMPCportal / Pocketables communities, not nearly as much fun as our community here.

The Pandora is the future. I feel that. :)

I do love my daftly underpowered Atom netbook, though. For gaming? Nonono. For work or websurfing when traveling or commuting - Oh yes! Weighs almost nothing, no bulk...Excellent. Then again, I buy them cheap and secondhand...
I had one of those once. Old N270 based Eee. I'd take my Series 3 Chromebook over it any day of the week, even for browsing.. the low resolution on those old Atom netbooks is really crippling, and this manages to be thinner and lighter.

I actually used the netbook to do development on away from home. This managed to be one of the less annoying things you could do with it, somehow. Still appreciate more resolution and a nicer keyboard, though (not to mention better compile times).

I have no idea how that is possible. When I'm done with a netbook, they have pretty much turned into dust :D
Well, I don't buy it from you. I buy it from those people that buy things when they are new, and abandon them when something else is new :)

The only case in which I would EVER give Atom another chance is if Razer releases their Switchblade (which as of right now has one).

whats wrong with it ? I bought one on launch too and played black ops 2 till I beat the campaign and dabbled in zombies , never really bothered with online , and you know nintendo land isn't that horrendous , It's just now my Pandora occupies MOST ( nothing like playing atomic tanks at lunch at the history bowl :) )of my gaming time and you know - free to 3 bucks is a lot better than 50 .

Last edited by a moderator:
9/9/99 waited in line for my DREAMCAST w/free t-shirt included.

Nooooo! You can't say the Dreamcast was a mistake!

This Atom N270 based netbook is perhaps one of my biggest mistakes. It's not the sub-HD resolution, or tiny keyboard, the slow CPU or even the laggardly GPU - it's that I was taken in by Intel's promises that it'd be a low-power platform, wheras I'm currently using its fan output to keep my hands warm in between typing. Still, I'm glad I got a netbook rather than a tablet - even this reduced size clackety keyboard is better than a touchscreen for my uses. No idea what I'm going to buy when it comes time to replace this machine.

whats wrong with it ? I bought one on launch too and played black ops 2 till I beat the campaign and dabbled in zombies , never really bothered with online , and you know nintendo land isn't that horrendous , It's just now my Pandora occupies MOST ( nothing like playing atomic tanks at lunch at the history bowl :) )of my gaming time and you know - free to 3 bucks is a lot better than 50 .
Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Nooooo! You can't say the Dreamcast was a mistake!

This Atom N270 based netbook is perhaps one of my biggest mistakes. It's not the sub-HD resolution, or tiny keyboard, the slow CPU or even the laggardly GPU - it's that I was taken in by Intel's promises that it'd be a low-power platform, wheras I'm currently using its fan output to keep my hands warm in between typing. Still, I'm glad I got a netbook rather than a tablet - even this reduced size clackety keyboard is better than a touchscreen for my uses. No idea what I'm going to buy when it comes time to replace this machine.

Last edited:
Dreamcast was doomed from the start and I am sorry I waited on line for 2 hours on 9-9-99 to be one of the first to get it. 

That's why I regret it.

Soul Caliber was a great game though.

Last edited:
True, the Dreamcast was never going to have a massive library of games, but I reckon that the little is does have is mostly top notch. You had Sega throwing everything to the wall and releasing crazy title after crazy title, Capcom still making 2d shooters and some of the most technical 2d fighters, brilliant 3d fighters from Sega and Namco (and Powerstone!), some brilliant RPGs, the big daddy of the PGR series, and because it was closely related to Naomi hardware (which is probably Sega's most successful arcade hardware to date) there were a good few arcade ports.

Not bad for a failed console ;)

I think it only fell behind the ps2 because that had a dvd player built in.

I think it only fell behind the ps2 because that had a dvd player built in.
...and because the PS1 preceded the PS2  ;)

SEGA failed miserably in the hardware dept. The list goes on and on....Nomad,32x,CDX,Sega Master System,Sega CD 1,2,,,Genesis 1,2,3 ,Saturn ,Game Gear and the never to come true NEPTUNE.  I am not even mentioning pre SMS when Atari was king.The company just scrambled around to try to out do Nintendo and Sony but they could not. They came close for a spell but eventually fell behind in sales. Too many ideas and changes in a short period of time frustrated,angered,alienated and confused too many gamers.

The Dreamcast was the last hoorah. As I mentioned previously, I waited almost 3 hours to be the first to have the 9-9-99 Dreamcast and free T-Shirt. In retrospect a mistake . Now they concentrate on software as we all know. What a shame.

Personally I always liked SEGA hardware. Especially the 'Triple Tower'  :D

Did the same thing for the PSP. First on my block to have one. WOW was I a fool. :blink:   :wacko:   ;)

Last edited:
Back