The Alcohol Thread

Do you drink alcohol?

• Total voters

I am actually Russ this year (google it)

And I've been drinking for 9 days straight now...

first being drunk at the age of 9, first thc at 15, decided to never drink again at age of 17, decides that drinking isnt a big deal anymore for me, and now i might get drunk like once every 2 months, and thats the only times i drink too. tetra hydro cannabinol doesnt do it for me anymore, tried ecstasy, tried acid, experimented with salvia, played around with dxm, sober as all shit now, gained weight due to not being on the hollywood diet

I see salvia for sale quite a lot, it's legal in the UK I see, what's it like? I understand it gives intense 'visions' for a few minutes? Is this worth trying?
highly recommend to try it. good salvia will give "visions" 20x higher then good acid, but its lasts no more then 5min, or more like a single minute of really high, the 4minute cooldown still with visuals. careful about the amount of hits you take, good salvia, one hit is more then enough, be sure to hold it in as long as you can before exhaling, and if youre not running around trying to hit brick blocks with your head and trying to stomp on goombas and koopas, youre doing it wrong. as with any hallucinogenic, be in a comfortable place, at a good state of mind, with someone there with your thats not on it, this being very easy as it only lasts 5min and they can go right after you. dont even bother standing up, salvia takes a disturbing hit on gravity in my experience. and im sure its not possible for you, since youre kind of an image to OPT, but any salvia experience should be filmed and put up on youtube. and dont even think about going on your roof on it...

That would be me ;)

I do homebrew, but more enjoy tasting rather than actual drinking. I don't drink to get drunk anymore, haven't really been "drunk" in a good portion of the last decade.

6 packs of my latest and greatest make good gifts for family and friends. Sometimes get requests to revisit different recipes from time to time. It's a very relaxing art, the smell of hops and malted barley filling every room of the house.
This. I myself have been homebrewing since 1999, and I actually get to drink very little of it. I have lots of thirsty friends. :rolleyes:

At the risk of becoming a thread derailleur: extract or all-grain, johnsongrantr? I'm an all-grain brewer, but because I live in Alaska and don't have a garage, my beer brewing hobby is necessarily seasonal. I don't let that stop me, though. I've become somewhat internet famous for my seasonal brewing habits. :D

In fact, my homebrewing hobby is one reason why I preordered a Pandora over 2 years ago: once it finally arrives, I plan to try and port Brewtarget to it.

highly recommend to try it. good salvia will give "visions" 20x higher then good acid, but its lasts no more then 5min, or more like a single minute of really high, the 4minute cooldown still with visuals. careful about the amount of hits you take, good salvia, one hit is more then enough, be sure to hold it in as long as you can before exhaling, and if youre not running around trying to hit brick blocks with your head and trying to stomp on goombas and koopas, youre doing it wrong. as with any hallucinogenic, be in a comfortable place, at a good state of mind, with someone there with your thats not on it, this being very easy as it only lasts 5min and they can go right after you. dont even bother standing up, salvia takes a disturbing hit on gravity in my experience. and im sure its not possible for you, since youre kind of an image to OPT, but any salvia experience should be filmed and put up on youtube. and dont even think about going on your roof on it...
Don't compare salvia to acid. Two COMPLETELY different experiences. Salvia is more of a dream state completely separate from reality whereas acid visuals are super imposed on the real world. They are two different types of hallucinations that really can't be compared. And don't film it either; making a spectacle out of somebody tripping is a great way to induce a bad trip.

I see salvia for sale quite a lot, it's legal in the UK I see, what's it like? I understand it gives intense 'visions' for a few minutes? Is this worth trying?
I wouldn't really describe salvia as visual. Everything in a salvia trip exists in your mind. The best thing to relate it to is a dream. You'll become completely immersed in a foreign dimension, and for a lot of people it can be extremely scary. It's not for the faint of heart.

Personally I LOVE salvia I wish it was still legal in my state. However, most of the people that I know find it terrifying. If you do decide to try it I suggest starting out with the leaves rather than extract, and tread lightly in the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. I myself have been homebrewing since 1999, and I actually get to drink very little of it. I have lots of thirsty friends. :rolleyes:

At the risk of becoming a thread derailleur: extract or all-grain, johnsongrantr? I'm an all-grain brewer, but because I live in Alaska and don't have a garage, my beer brewing hobby is necessarily seasonal. I don't let that stop me, though. I've become somewhat internet famous for my seasonal brewing habits. :D

In fact, my homebrewing hobby is one reason why I preordered a Pandora over 2 years ago: once it finally arrives, I plan to try and port Brewtarget to it.
extract when I first started or when I don't have enough time, all grain when I have time to sit down and actually mash. I do like the taste better and you can tweak your recipes a little more that way I think.

first being drunk at the age of 9, first thc at 15, decided to never drink again at age of 17, decides that drinking isnt a big deal anymore for me, and now i might get drunk like once every 2 months, and thats the only times i drink too. tetra hydro cannabinol doesnt do it for me anymore, tried ecstasy, tried acid, experimented with salvia, played around with dxm, sober as all shit now, gained weight due to not being on the hollywood diet

I don't think it's a particularly pleasurable experience and I think many would agree with me but it is quite interesting. It's unlike anything I've ever tried before but then again, I have never tried DMT. I didn't take it to a level where I had a complete disconnection from reality, as I only ever smoked the leaf (the stuff you buy from 'head' shops is often fortified with an extract making it stupidly strong I would think). To be honest I find the recent usage of the plant a bit sad but sad in a genuine way rather than looking down on those who do it (and subsequently 'youtube' it...). The problem I reckon, is that this behaviour will result in the government banning it and that would make me sad. I love my little Salvia plant and would hate it it ever became illegal to own!

As for the effect, at the low levels I've tried it at (just normal leaf), I noticed very subtle but often alarming effects. I remember a feeling of physically being twisted around. Also, just everything seeming just ever slightly different but in a way I found difficult to pin-point.

In all, worth a go* but take it easy and for gods-sake don't 'youtube' it!

* but take the necessary precautions...

Me as well.

That would be me ;)

I do homebrew, but more enjoy tasting rather than actual drinking. I don't drink to get drunk anymore, haven't really been "drunk" in a good portion of the last decade.

6 packs of my latest and greatest make good gifts for family and friends. Sometimes get requests to revisit different recipes from time to time. It's a very relaxing art, the smell of hops and malted barley filling every room of the house.

People like to come and hang out with me and my brewing partners on brew day. There's something primal and satisfying to the art that even non-brewers can get into.

Last Thursday, I transferred my oatmeal stout to a secondary fermenter (been in the primary for a month) and added some coffee. It'll be another two months before it's carbonated in the bottles and ready to go.

And if you do port Brewtarget to the Pandora, please let me know! I'll happily use that.

alright seriously, how can craig tripping off salvia not be funny? or is that just me? but yeah chaos did describe it pretty good as far as hallucinogenic, whereas acid would make things in real life look weird or "leaky" and whatnot, salvia is a completely open-eyed illusion, but i will disagree with starting with simply the leaf as imo, its a waste of time and money, at least the 10x to start with. also some people say that its better to use a butane lighter/torch because the chemicals burn at a higher temperature then thc, ive no idea how true this is, but it cant hurt i guess?

Since we're talking about salvia, if you have not seen this video, do yourself a favor and have a look. I can't embed this from youtube, but here is the link anyway:

http://www.collegehumor.com/e/3455483

Make sure you watch until the end. I still get a big kick out of his reaction.

extract when I first started or when I don't have enough time, all grain when I have time to sit down and actually mash. I do like the taste better and you can tweak your recipes a little more that way I think.
I'm up for recipe trading if you are. :lol: We should probably do it in PMs, though, to avoid hijacking this thread.

Unless you guys think posting beer, mead, and/or sake recipes fits the theme of this thread? :blink:

Since we're talking about salvia, if you have not seen this video, do yourself a favor and have a look. I can't embed this from youtube, but here is the link anyway:

http://www.collegehu...iving-on-salvia

Make sure you watch until the end. I still get a big kick out of his reaction.
My only response is this.

@AquaAnalogue, neat story!

My personal "story" regarding tobacco is that I can't stand cigarette smoke at all; makes me damn near cough my lungs out, even if it's third-hand. Oddly, I've noticed that I don't seem to have that reaction to smoke from tobacco pipes & certain mini-cigar brands like Captain Black (more than once, I spent a long time in the company of a pipe-tobacco smoker, and didn't break out in coughing fits like I usually do among cigarette smokers). No idea what causes it; I guess it might be one of the cigarette-specific additives/byproducts.

This does mean that I often dread going to public places such as downtown, because I always have to hold my breath for periods of time to avoid the cigarette smoke, and it's not always possible. Kinda limits my options in life, practically speaking.

Electronic cigarettes sound neat from what I've heard about them. It would be nice if this invention cut down on or eliminated the noxious fumes. Unfortunately, I'll probably never get a chance to find out because they've been banned in Canada (on the rationale that they haven't been properly studied... unlike REAL cigarettes which HAVE been studied and been found terrible for you). Established cigarette companies are trying their hardest to get e-cigs banned wherever they can, often using anti-smoking groups as covers. But I think true anti-smoking advocates would welcome any invention that cuts down on the health problems. Even if it turns out that it doesn't eliminate them, the lesser evil is better.

@ Taylor-MadeAK

That Salvia vid is pretty serious sh*t! Can't believe it's legal.
Seeing as alcohol lasts well over an hour and salvia lasts only a few minutes I can't believe alcohol is legal and salvia isn't. (Where I live salvia has been a felony since Nov '09).

@ Taylor-MadeAK

That Salvia vid is pretty serious sh*t! Can't believe it's legal.
Seeing as alcohol lasts well over an hour and salvia lasts only a few minutes I can't believe alcohol is legal and salvia isn't. (Where I live salvia has been a felony since Nov '09).
...Did you guys somehow get the idea that I'm speaking out against salvia or expressing some kind of views on the legality of certain drugs? Because I'm not. I'm just a homebrewer who got a little excited to run into another homebrewer on the Pandora boards, that's all. I just posted the video because I thought it was funny. :D You post a video of somebody trippin' on salvia, I respond with a video of somebody snorting wasabi and then trippin' out. :lol:

Since you brought it up, my personal opinion about salvia, marijuana, alcohol, and other drugs is this: if you're not hurting anyone else, I have no problem with you or what you do. That changes the moment you put someone else's life in danger; be it getting behind the wheel of a car after drinking a sixpack or robbing a 7-11 at gunpoint to support your cocaine habit, if what you're doing puts someone other than you in harm's way then - and only then - I have a problem with what you're doing. Whether or not the substance itself is "legal" is immaterial to me, as few of the laws that make it through legislation make sense to me to begin with.

Now, to bring this response back on-topic, I personally don't use anything stronger than alcohol. I tried marijuana a few times when I was a teenager, but I soon decided I didn't like the way it made me feel ("stupid" is the only way to describe it) and never used it again. Salvia is much more recent in its availability in Alaska, and from the description alone it doesn't sound like something I'd want to try. I'm just not that interested in disconnecting from reality via chemistry.

As for tobacco...well, given my above statements about putting others in harm's way, I think cigarettes at the very least should be more tightly controlled. It's already been demonstrated over and over that regular use of tobacco causes cancer and other health problems, and that second hand smoke is just as bad as directly sucking on that cigarette yourself. Banning the use of smoking tobacco inside restaurants and bars is a step in the right direction, but how much does that really help when you end up having to walk through somebody's carcinogenic cloud to get through the front door of the establishment? Tighter controls are needed.

For anyone interested in a .PDF copy of Marijuana is Safer: So why are we driving people to drink

PM me and I'll send you a link.

It's a good book and for anyone sick of hangovers, a much safer alternative (except for the law in some parts).

I'm up for recipe trading if you are. :lol: We should probably do it in PMs, though, to avoid hijacking this thread.

Unless you guys think posting beer, mead, and/or sake recipes fits the theme of this thread? :blink:
screw it, it's off topic anyway... I'll do you one better than just a recipe or two.

this is my bible, some good, some bad, all interesting ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0937381837/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003CNQ4OS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KQQ3AA20X9W4PYJTV2C

EDIT: fixed link

screw it, it's off topic anyway... I'll do you one better than just a recipe or two.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0937381837/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003CNQ4OS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KQQ3AA20X9W4PYJTV2C

A classic inspiration for many homebrewers, and already part of my library. But I have more fun formulating my own recipes from scratch. See attachment. ;)

Attachments

• Rizla\'s Ragin\' Red.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 125

I've got a copy of that book. The best resource that I've ever seen for recipes has got to be HomeBrewTalk.com. Massive forum dedicated to homebrewing, with a huge database of recipes.

Back