Wine & Other Alcohol

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
I'm interested in recommended wines, I'm quite in to the scene ever since drinking the most sensational wine while in Ischia and never being able to obtain it again.

As well as that any cocktails you might know would be much appreciated. Being British I can drink any American under the table, so you should probably double the dosage on any recommendations. :)

Seriously though, I'm looking for new taste sensations. Local brews, old mixes, anything interesting I can make, or tales of drinking disaster you might have!

I'd like to share my favourite shot, called Swedish Cocaine. It's the type of thing you only have one of, usually later in the night when you need a pickup. You need:

- A lemon
- Ground coffee (not instant, ugh)
- Sugar
- Your vodka of choice

Cut the lemon into full, round slices. Lay a slice flat and make a nice fat "line" of coffee across the middle. Sprinkle a line of sugar alongside that. Then fold the lemon slice in half like a taco, suck the coffee & sugar through the flesh of the lemon, and dump the vodka in on top.

Weee!

Being a Belgian I can't but wonder: Why Wine?

If you want to taste something different/good beers, give (real) Gueze or Kriek a shot.

Like Boon (good start if you never tasted Geuze or Kriek before) or Girardin (also good starting point, even better then Boon but less "sweet" ).
And then the "real ones" (warning, it takes a bit to get used to this if you are used to sweet beer - like most modern "big name" beer these day is) Cantillon (my favorite, I still have 2 bottles left of Geuze aged in "new" old cognac barrels, so that geuze took a lot of the "aftertaste" of cognac.. wonderfull.. in highly shielded storage :) ) , Oud Beersel or 3fonteinen.

Avoid "Lindemans" or "Belle vue". Those are not really good stuff (they have few good things, but very hard to come by, most is commercial sh*t, mainly meaning sweetened with sugar or not brewed as it should be to get a nice flavor, compare it with 1 pound wine in tesco ).

For wine I'll leave the comments to people who actually know that stuff, looking forward to see some input :)

Try "Schwarze Mädchentraube", a decent red.

Also, ice cold "Jägermeister" makes cocktails obsolete. And medication.
If you absolutely have to mix it try RedBull, o-juice or coke, some ppl
seem to like that, I don't.

Scotch I liked: Manochmore, McAllan, not sure about the spelling though.

Edit #3
can't post about medi'cine, the board thinks it's a [ spam word ]...

St. Bernardus ABT 12 is my favorite strong belgian ale. I've had Jager straight up (5 shots in a cup at a tailgate) and it was nasty :D. I hate redbull so I'd 86 on that option.

Best drink is Irish Car Bombs but I'm sure you already know that!

Like most others here I cannot comment on wines. But this is my 2 cents with regards to alcohol :)

Best everyday wine for the budget-minded I found was Yellowtail Shiraz or Rosemount Estate Grenache/Shiraz blend. It fueled my alcoholism until I finally quit.

1994 Rust en Vrede Shiraz, Stellenbosch, South Africa.

Best. Wine. Ever.

Esn said:
Canadian ice wines are great (but expensive).
This year's lack of frost has made me very sad. What little ice wine that we get out of this harvest is likely to be of sub-standard quality, but still expensive :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a local microbrewery and try one of their open nights.

The beer is straight from the vat and smooth as heck.
Almost turned me into a bitter drinker ;)

The folk that run 'em are usually fun too

I recently tried some English wine, it's quite well hidden in Tesco but it is available and very cheap (£2 a bottle, £3 for port) and while the wine was pretty horrible the Port was fantastic.

There is a vineyard up here in County Durham! I need to try some of it, must be a very tricky task to grow grapes up here.

I've also been making Caipirinhas with great success, I can drink too many of these...

Oh and I'm not that in to beer, but I see there is now a 32% beer! Tactical Nuclear Penguin, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm

Must try...

believe it or not you can find some amazing wine in lidl. even some of the £3/£4 bottles are really, really nice.
plus they sell western gold, one of the nicest bourbons i ever tried.

If you wanna get well mashed on something tasty, I highly recommend Long Island Iced Tea. Sounds girly, right? Yeah, until you read the recipe :lol: The recipe I am familiar with consists of:

1x shot of tequila
1x shot of dark rum
1x shot of light rum
1x shot of gin
1x shot of vodka
Some triple sec
Splash of lemon
Cola

Directions:

Combine in a tall glass and top with cola. Garnish with lemon wedge. Drink. Repeat until desired level of intoxication is reached.

***Warning*** May cause acts of violence around the 3rd drink which may also coincide with the 50th time you get picked on at the pub for drinking a "girls drink" like a "poof" :lol:

Back