Release Tetris Queen

mcobit

Advanced Member
New version is out.

The samplebank should do the songs more justice. Also you can select on gamestart, if you'd like the original 4:3 aspect or fullscreen.

Here is a port of Tetris Queen.

http://qtetris.sourceforge.net/

qtetris3.gif
qtetris2.gif
qtetris1.gif

It is a homage for the band and, well, tetris with a nice new "destroyer" mode.

Don't worry about the screenshotsize. It's fullscreen on Pandora :)

Get it from the repo:

http://repo.openpand...is-qtetris-4120

Keys can be reconfigured in the game, but there is a defaultconfig, that makes sense (I hope) too.

And of course: Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great version especially the destroyer mode with those explosions!!

Spot on controls and the audio is clear and crisp.

Love the rock n roll selections.

Beautiful graphics for a Tetris.

I going out on a limb but i think this is one of the best versions of Tetris i ever played. Especially that destroyer mode!!

mcobit, you have provided me with hours of retro video game bliss. We are lucky to have you here!!

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Tetris, but that Destroyer mode sounds awesome, and the presentation also looks nice (especially as I'm a queen fan as well :D )

Definitely gonna try this one, thanks for the port! :)

OK, I have tested it. works so far but I suddenly noticed 2 things:

1.: The MIDI skills of the Pandora are HORRIBLE! :ph34r: At least over the speakers, will try again with my Sennheiser Headset.

2.: Queen should be heared in original, not in Midi Quality. ^^

There seems some missing MIDI instruments too, at least it sounds like this. I noticed this for example in "Breakthrou" where the lead "voice" was missing but maybe the MIDI song is like this, I don't know. There also is a bug in the game: if you loose and choose "continue", no new song is loaded after the remaining song is finished.

I also would like to have a correct 4:3 aspect ratio of the game, I don't like stretching, but it is not that bad in this game.

Well, including the original Queen tracks would be a serious copyright infringement...

Does the game offer to include your own MP3s / OGGs?

That would be a nice solution.

Hi, problem in detail:

Allegro, the framework, this game is built on, has its own midiswsynth. For that to work, you give it a converted sf2 samplebank and put it in the root of the pnd. This file is the patches.dat.

If you put another, higher quality patches.dat in your appdatafolder, the midisound should be better.

And no, unfortunately this doesn't work with the timidity installer :(

I included a small samplebank, as I didn't want people to download 50mb because of better music ;)

But if you want to try it out, do it.

I can make the 4:3 resolution selectable, before the game starts, if you like.

Tell me your ideas...

Tutorial for converting sf2 files:

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/digmid.html

And sorry, it doesn't have the ability to play ogg or wav or mp3 or something :(

After continuing, the music will play again, when you reach a higher level.

Well, of course the original Music can't be included but at least better MIDI sounds should be possible, maybe even matching Instruments for Queen Songs. ^^

I have the Timidity pack installed ( I guess, never used it yet) so I thought Tetris Queen uses it. However, I can remmeber I did not choose the high quality timidity pack (the big one) so I'm not sure at all if it would sound better with it.

But I would be thankful for an easy way to improve the Music Quality of this game, maybe a updated version could include better instruments or optional timidity support or whatever. i'm not that pro to tinker it by myself to be honest.

If you like, I can try to make itsound better. Give me some hours ;)

Ok, new version is out.

The samplebank should do the songs more justice. Also you can select on gamestart, if you'd like the original 4:3 aspect or fullscreen.

Filesize has got a bit bigger though.

Have a lot of fun!

Nice version of a classic, thanks for the port.. the music is dreadful though! (and i don't mean because it's Queen) an mp3 option would be a huge improvement.

Why-oh-why-oh-why?

Panda has a GOOD mp3 player - queen fans will have their own library of music.

Just make a great tetris game and you won't need to jump on any bandwagon.

Is there a music free option?

Including mp3s would need a rewrite of the complete musiccode. That's something I can't do I'm afraid.

If anyone else wants to step up for that task... it is OpenSource ;)

Edit: gp32rich: You can disable music in the options menu.

Ok, the new instruments sounds better but now I'm sure there is definitly someting wrong with the MIDI playback. I'm audiophile enough to hear that the guitar instruments n stuff are missing or "broken", you can hear some slightly indications of them from time to time but something blocks this. Maybe some midi instrument number limitations of the Pandora? If we could have the extracted midi files we could compare on the PC. But I doubt that the files itself are broken.

Just download the sources and compare the midis.

Nothing easier than this :)

And this might not be a limitation of Pandora. I think this is a problem with allegro midiplayback.

Guitars are always a problem with midi and there are no vst effects, that can be easily added to this gamesource to make it sound better.

I think if you can't stand the midiquality, just turn off music and play your favorite queensongs in a mp3player in the background :)

Back