Release Tetris Queen

I can't believe that in the 21. Century MIDI playback can be a problem after all. :D

I found and tested all Midi files of the game on my PC and there it sounds like it should. Not bad at all, and I only have cheap onboard sound. ^^ Your workaround with turning the music off and using an Music Player is a little bit dirty trick but it works of course. But I always want to eliminate problems straight on their base, so it should be started with this Allegro Problem. I know that nobody actualy uses MIDI anymore but I guess it is no magic to make midi working like it should today. Maybe an alternative software base or whatever, or XM chiptune format files or stuff like this? They work perfectly on the Pandora. :)

Yeah, I'm shocked after listening to the midis on my PC that they're so hamstrung in the game. Looks like midi may be hitting the dodo phase since no one uses it anymore. Probably why it's implementation is so poor. Oh well...DeadBeef fixed the problem...also it let me turn it into ELO tetris as well. Loves me some Electric Light Orchestra!

I found and tested all Midi files of the game on my PC and there it sounds like it should. Not bad at all, and I only have cheap onboard sound. ^^
You were using MS MIDI sounds samples, which are very good.... but copyrighted. There are as good MIDI sampleset in the free world but they will put the pandora on its knee (pandy doesnt like to have to add reverb and others effects).

Speaking of sounds, aren't those explosion sounds grand!!??

Very well done IMHO.

Sorry to deviate :blink:

Last edited:
I found and tested all Midi files of the game on my PC and there it sounds like it should. Not bad at all, and I only have cheap onboard sound. ^^
You were using MS MIDI sounds samples, which are very good.... but copyrighted. There are as good MIDI sampleset in the free world but they will put the pandora on its knee (pandy doesnt like to have to add reverb and others effects).
Hm, possible, I just used the Windows Media Player since VLC does not play MIDI files somehow. However, finding free midi samples should be no problöem at all but this doesn't solve the playback issues of the game of course. However, the game is still fun and this blast mode is great. :D

I remember a buddy of mine coded a Tetris game ages ago with similar bombing features for DOS, afaik he did it in Turbo pascal and every graphic was actualy coded. :D There were Bombs, Bonus blocks and such stuff, some made effects like turning the block field 180° so top is suddenly bottom ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Back