Switchable DPAD/Buttons for every Emulator

Christ. 900,000 is a lot to ask for. However I'll bet they will succeed, mainly because people will just buy it thinking that they need another handheld, when really they do not. Still I'm sure its a nice handheld, steam in your pocket and all that jazz.

Guys, no discussion about ths os/handheld itself.

I think switchable DPADs are the REALLY cool part of this product!

Valve's touchpads are the key to making this possible, since you can put buttons pointing at a certain area on it as you wish.

It just needs a fitting calibration software and everyone can make his own button layout besides the traditional ones.

This may be something for the third generation of Dragonbox handhelds, just a touchpad on the right with several button modules and calibration software.

At least this way I could finally have my favourite action button positioning:

p2600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at what I found:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa363a/slaa363a.pdf

Building the touchpad right into the PCB seems like a great fit for a Pandora/Pyra style handheld. The touchpad might not be usable by itself, but at least the device won't need to be much thicker to allow space for the swappable button modules

At least this way I could finally have my favourite action button positioning:

p2600.jpg

If we could get a button layout like that I don't think I would really need custom or swappable controls.  Pretty much everything I am used to playing works fine with the 6 button layout.  The 4 button diamond/cross already covers a lot for me, and if I need less (only 1 or 2) I am covered.  I still need to try the Pyra layout before I can say anything good or bad about it other than "look, we have 6 gaming buttons".

The biggest benefit of switching out controls is to get something like the original feel.  Usually I just use an original controller, and everything else, if I want the authentic experience (I know that isn't for everyone).  

I have a Saitek controller like the one in the pic above in blue instead of red (different model?).  I am not sure why, but I really like it for some games.  It is a bit large, which I didn't notice until switching to it right after using a different controller.

I think switchable DPADs are the REALLY cool part of this product!

I think it's a band-aid. There must have been people complaining about the touch pad being unsuitable so they offered this as a compromise. The only way it can really work is by the pad or buttons pressing on the touch pad, and I will be very surprised if the can exactly replicate a good gamepad response from this. It's also going to mean pad features that are much more raised than usual.

I also get the feeling that are some other unsolved issues here like what the actual retention mechanism will be (it'll probably need to be pretty precisely aligned to work suitably). And how easy it'll be to switch them and alert the OS that you're using a new pad.

There were some attempts to add controls on top of a touch display with suction buttons that I don't think ever really went anywhere. This reminds me a lot of that.

If we could get a button layout like that I don't think I would really need custom or swappable controls.  Pretty much everything I am used to playing works fine with the 6 button layout.  The 4 button diamond/cross already covers a lot for me, and if I need less (only 1 or 2) I am covered.  I still need to try the Pyra layout before I can say anything good or bad about it other than "look, we have 6 gaming buttons".

The biggest benefit of switching out controls is to get something like the original feel.  Usually I just use an original controller, and everything else, if I want the authentic experience (I know that isn't for everyone).  

I have a Saitek controller like the one in the pic above in blue instead of red (different model?).  I am not sure why, but I really like it for some games.  It is a bit large, which I didn't notice until switching to it right after using a different controller.

Yes, that's why I tried to get this button layout in the Pyra, but ED thought it would make the device too wide.

Even the N64 uses nearly this placement if you look closely where the C-Buttons are so there'd be no need to switch it anyway.

The red one (p2600) has 2x2 shoulder buttons which are all more precise than the old single ones.

Yes, that's why I tried to get this button layout in the Pyra, but ED thought it would make the devise too wide.

Well yeah there would be no way of fitting it in without widening the device. Honestly think the extra buttons that were added are kind of wedged in there, but people REALLY wanted 6 buttons.

Well yeah there would be no way of fitting it in without widening the device. Honestly think the extra buttons that were added are kind of wedged in there, but people REALLY wanted 6 buttons.

Yes, those two small extra Pyra face buttons look like they just about fit. There seems to be minimal space between them and the larger face buttons; it's possibly overkill as we have four shoulder buttons also. I hope those small buttons work as intended when ED builds the first true prototype.

I guess only endless play-testing/stress testing will tell us how usable these two buttons are.

It takes a quite bit of playing with the PS vita to realize that the small face buttons are less than perfect.

I guess that practically all of the people which wanted 6 face buttons would have been totally fine with a slightly wider device.

The problem may be, that the ones not caring for 6 face buttons (and N64, Capcom Fighters, etc..) would have had to live with a slightly less pocketable device as well in this situation and in the end the chosen ones were those, which is fine I guess since the Pandora always was about a fine balance between functions and mobility as well.

The width (in the meaning of length) of such a device should actualy not come in conflict with a "pocketable" feature. All it does is to stick out a little bit more. Better than make a device thicker or wider at the smaller side.

I'm still convinced that a slighlty wider (but overall sleaker) Pyra design would have been the way better design decission for various reasons.

I'm still convinced that a slighlty wider (but overall sleaker) Pyra design would have been the way better design decission for various reasons.

Well you're wrong.

Well you're wrong.

Does approximately one centimeter in length really make such a big difference?

I always thought, things are more comfortable to hold when the hands have a bigger distance although 1cm wouldn't change much there either, I guess.

Wrong....

Also I'm very invested in re-using my current Pandora carry case.

Back