Release SuperZaxxon v1.76

The charge current may be tuned too, you can try (as root)
Code:
echo 500000 > /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/charge_current
to reduce it further to 500mA in case there are still problems.
Same can be done with the charger port (.../twl4030_ac/charge_current).
I thought about asking you for this, but tbh I did not think that this would be possible. But is even already implemented! Awesome, thanks, will try around with the setting! :D

Beautiful release as always, thank you Notaz!

I might be doing something incorrect trying to manually logon in console (level3). An error message appears after entering user login info:

"Failed to open connection to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory"

I have tried deleting dbus contents as others have suggested but the same error appears after login.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Beautiful release as always, thank you Notaz!

I might be doing something incorrect trying to manually logon in console (level3). An error message appears after entering user login info:

"Failed to open connection to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory"

I have tried deleting dbus contents as others have suggested but the same error appears after login.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

hi pengo
as i'm also currently adventuring runlevel3 on my rebirth, i had this issue too. plus pndnotifyd was constantly eating 100% cputime (you can check this via the 'top' command).
i 'solved' both problems with the 'sudo update-rc.d -f pndnotifyd-init remove' command and a reboot.
with this you loose the automatic pnd integration in X/runlevel 5, eg. things like adding icons to the desktop and menu entries. (maybe only removing for runlevel 3 is better here, but i like it to start pnd's via pnd_run so this solved it for me)
hope this helps you too!

Last edited:
Thank you kindly for your help, rSI.

It seems the command resolved the dbus error but startx now gives another error:

/usr/bin/startx: line 183: /usr/bin/mcookie: not found
Couldn't create cookie

Thank you kindly for your help, rSI.

It seems the command resolved the dbus error but startx now gives another error:

/usr/bin/startx: line 183: /usr/bin/mcookie: not found
Couldn't create cookie

glad it helped. :)
same cookie-issue here, i use 'sudo telinit 5' to get to slim's login.

btw. you can go from an x terminal to the cli with 'sudo chvt -t1' and switch back with start/alt button and dpad right/left.
maybe you want to add more terminals to the end of /etc/inittab too.
and as the pandora has no root password set by default, you really want to set one with 'sudo -i' and 'passwd'. ;)

now we only need... bigger console fonts!!!
i can load 16pixel fonts with consolechars, but all the larger ones won't load, bummer!

Big thanks all for your help! I can now login. Yes larger console fonts would be nice too!:):p&|a:

Reactions: rSl
Just experienced someting curious.

Sorry for the wall of text..that follow.

I was already on 1.76 (upgraded via "upgrade Pandora OS" ...my last full reflash was on 1.74 i think..) but i want to reflash because i want to restart from zero and setup again the browser 'Links' so i will remember the procedure and report here allowing anyone to set this browser as default for .html files.

So i prepared an SD card ... powered off pandora, inserted the sdcard, power on + rear R button...and all i was see is a black screen.:eek:
So basically the little boot menu with options to boot from sd1 and other is not visible at all.
I retryed with another card...but the same result.
I was thinkig that my downloaded firmware was corrupted and redownloaded again (but i selected this time the previous version 1.75u1 from notaz.
Power on + rear R button do act the same as before.:(

So i was a bit tired...and pressed some buttons... nothing happened...but...when i pressed B button the pandora booted fine as normal (screen was showing all the things normally)...
Finally i understand that the boot menu was here and working ...but i only cannot see it :mad:

So i blindly rebooted and after few seconds i pressed the dpad down one time + button B and Pandora power off.

Next time .. reboot (always with rear R button pressed) , dpad down two times and finally the reflash procedure started (but i cannot see anything)...i have waited some minutes,,,and when the light of sdcard was off i pressed return and pandora powered off.

Finally when i powered on again my pandora (without sd card) it reported booting firmware 1.75...and normally i could see all the operations on terminal of the first boot.
But i want the last firmware...and prepared the same sdcard with the last 1.76.
But...this time when i powered on my pandora with rear R button pressed...i could see the boot menu. and reflashed normally.

phew!! now i'm on 1.76 again but what a story this reflash. Hope this could help if someone else will be in such situation.
[doublepost=1486603389,1486595641][/doublepost]So in order to use Links browser (integrated in firmware on Nand) we have to:

edit with mousepad (you need to be root to be able to modify it...open a terminal and type sudo thunar )
/usr/share/applications/WebBrowser file (real name is xfce4-web-browser.desktop) changing the
Exec line
as this
Exec=links -g %u

save and close the root enabled thunar.

Now change the default preferred application for viewing html files (go to Setting/Desktop/Xfce 4 Settings Manager/Preferred Applications) and change
under the first Tab (internet) change the default "Debian Sensible Browser" and select "other"
inside the box that is opened insert this:
/usr/bin/links -g "%s"

and close the panel

Now insert an sdcard where you have at least one .html file
select it and with the right mouse button select
Open With Other Application
select mousepad under Recommended Applications.
Now go down and expand "Use a custom command"
here modify
mousepad %F
with
/usr/bin/links -g %F

(this don't modify the mousepad use...it simply add another app to recommended applications)

check also that "Use as default for this kind of file" is selected.

And now you should be able to open html files by default with links. or with mousepad or the possibility to choose another app with the right mouse button.

So i prepared an SD card ... powered off pandora, inserted the sdcard, power on + rear R button...and all i was see is a black screen.:eek:
Yeah this is normal, as you still had the old u-boot which did not turn on stuff that kernel from 1.75+ turns off as part of improved power saving. See the 1.75 release notes:
u-boot: some compatibility changes for the kernel idle power saving stuff (CC unit might not show u-boot menu if you stay on the old u-boot version and require removing battery for 5 minutes to recover)

Yeah this is normal, as you still had the old u-boot which did not turn on stuff that kernel from 1.75+ turns off as part of improved power saving. See the 1.75 release notes:
Ahh ok ....better to read accurately all the release note then...:)

If you think is ok, take into consideration my changes, for better integration of Links browser in next release.
Thanks

I have a strange behavour now, I think since SZ 1.76, but I'm not sure.

My Gigahertz Pandora is connected to a Powered 8-Ports USB 2 HUB. On that hub is connected an HDD, a mouse, a Wifi stick, and the Pandora itself (to just power the Pandora). That setup was working nicely, but now, at some random point (not sure how it triger), my HDD disconnect / reconnect. So it's previously found in /media/sda1 and then sudenly, it's in /media/sdb1. Because I tend to create a large swapfile on it, I have experiences some lockup (as the swapfile disapear). I have not much idea on what to look (dmesg I guess, but I have to reboot and try to trigger it).

Hi.
I was on my Couch and wanted to clean up my Dev Sd Card a little and i encountered this funny Bug on my fresh reflashed Ghz Pandora:

Deleting Files work realy much faster when you move the Mouse via Nub? :)
Not realy important for me but funny to see.
I made a Video of it (only for this Thread,not Public listed);)

Maybe there is a Fix for it?

btw:
This was on an Ext2 Partition :)

I think, only status message updating is more frequently, deleting it self will be the same speed.

Thomas

My Pandora had been dormant for about a year. I connected the PSU but it didn't charge. I bought a new PSU - same deal - not charging.

It lay on my bedside table, still plugged in to the charger, for about a month.

Then, a few days ago I came home to a charging Pandora! It lives!

Had a play with Mupen, PCSX ReARMed, DraStic - all working perfectly!

Just updated to SuperZaxxon 1.76. Looks like it went well.

Thank you Notaz

I accidentally borked my install on my Rebirth while fiddling with USB networking, so I had to reflash from SD. Realized I still had an old revision on my flash, so updated to 1.76. And holy moly. Something seems to have really been tweaked because things seem to be running much faster than before. I'm using the 4.10 sgx driver which has solved pretty much all my Playstation Emulation gaming rendering issues as well. Whatever you fixed, good work!

hmm..I upgraded a while ago to 1.76, but now I noticed that usb charging is not working like it was before (I still have the 1.75 on the internal flash, that still works)..I have tried different chargers, it charges but after a while it stops (and a "battery disconnected" message appears in dmesg..I tried to change the charge_current as above, but that doesn't seems to work..(actually, I think the stopage is triggered by closing the lid)

Last edited:
Sleep mode does shut down the USB host to save power iirc, maybe it's related? I think it can be changed somewhere too...
I always charge with the barrel jack with my psp charger and never had any problems with it. I'm looking to buy a USB to barrel connector now, for just in case... to add to my zombie apocalypse Pandora USB stuff pouch. :)

Soon my Pandora will turn 7, think I'll buy it a cake and sing it some songs. :)

USB host 5v is not the same as receiving charge via the mini-USB port. One of the somewhat recent releases (I think it was 1.73) improved idle power consumption, such that it'll cut power to the USB host port after you disconnect something, but that should have and doesn't in my experience affect USB mini charging.

I have tried different chargers, it charges but after a while it stops (and a "battery disconnected" message appears in dmesg..I tried to change the charge_current as above, but that doesn't seems to work..(actually, I think the stopage is triggered by closing the lid)
Hmh I've never seen a "battery disconnected" message to trigger, although it has been in the code since 2011 (it's printed when the chip itself sends an interrupt). Since I never get it, and nobody else has reported it, I believe something is probably wrong with your hardware. Can you remove the battery for 5 minutes to reset the power chip and check if the contacts are clean?

Back