Suggestions For Great But Legitimate Gaming On The Pandora?

Sofox

Still Fresh
I'm trying to get a list of games we could all play on the Pandora that are completely legal and fun to do so.

Recently, I've been using Frotz to play Zork. It's a challenging but fun game. The first three Zork games are available for free download. Frotz can also be used with many other text adventure games, including free ones developed by the online interactive fiction community.

"Beneath a steel sky" and "Flight of the amazon queen" for ScummVM. Both former commercial titles, now free to distribute.

You mean with or without paying?

If you want to purchase the originals then Doom, Quake, Hexen etc are all considered by most people to be good games. Even if you don't want to pay, you can play the demo versions which have a good few levels.

Sofox said:
I'm trying to get a list of games we could all play on the Pandora that are completely legal and fun to do so.

That's going to be a seriously long list. When you consider DOSBox, ScummVM, gemRB, and uncounted other engine remakes, there's tons of games that fit those criteria.

If you mean free games, that would be a much shorter list.

It's funny: I was planning on using the Pandora to play a lot of old console games that I own, but the legality of my doing that is questionable. In America, at least, the DMCA criminalizes subverting any copy protection mechanisms, even if the copying you do is fair use, for personal use, or otherwise legal. The common sense way of looking at it might be called "box theory;" when we buy an object, it comes in a box, but we feel within our rights to take it out and put it in a different box if that's more convenient to us. But unfortunately, many court decisions say otherwise: you buy the right to use the object in its original "box," not to dump it and play it in some other way.

So maybe focusing on free games really is a better idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicker said:
It's funny: I was planning on using the Pandora to play a lot of old console games that I own, but the legality of my doing that is questionable. In America, at least, the DMCA criminalizes subverting any copy protection mechanisms, even if the copying you do is fair use, for personal use, or otherwise legal.
Questionable? I think the DMCA law is pretty clear that this is not allowed. Canada is probably going to get one of those laws soon too (assuming U.S. pressure beats citizen protests). Gotta rip my collection fast :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back