Things to build in a pandora battery case?

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
When I next have some free time (haha) I thought it would be fun to build something electronicish (I can does arduino and picaxe*!) in one of my spare pandora battery cases (of which I have three unused!).

These are around 4.5 by 14 by 1 cm, and have the Pandora name/logo embossed on them, so would be best suited to something I can use with my pandora.

I have a dremel and am not afraid to use it. I also have assorted soldering equipment, miscellaneous electronics (including a couple of ext connectors) and techy knowledge in various quantities and qualities.

What would be a fun / challenging gadget to build inside it?

Any (serious) suggestions? I'm afraid my skills won't stretch to a rainbow pony generator :(

Some random starting points I came up with were:

colourful lights - power and charging - buttons - steampunk - radio & communication

mods: should this be in the off topic area? - I'm hoping this thread will collect a few pandora accessory ideas, but then perhaps it won't...

*an abomination unto nuggan, but cheap!

What would be nice is make the case such that you could charge the battery inside it, so that yo don't need to have the battery in the Pandy to charge it. Thus, you always have a fresh battery and never need to have time off where your Pandy is on the charger.

Probably isn't room :(

the boxes were designed to hold the battery, not the battery and a load of charge handling circuits

What If I stuck two boxes together?

Last edited by a moderator:
Speakers for "surround" (with 1/20th second delay).

LED equilizer (like in the 80ies) - would be great with Modern Talking, A-ha or Public Enemy!

= a "ghettoblaster", with a USB cable to the Pandora and Audacious.

Probably isn't room :(

the boxes were designed to hold the battery, not the battery and a load of charge handling circuits

What If I stuck two boxes together?
I like that idea... stick 2 together.. one holds the battery and the other holds the charging electronics... perhaps with a built in battery level indicator... *wonders if jaycar sell lipo battery charger kits*

- Neelix

A nice set of travel-speakers to go with the Pandora, including a normal radio (maybe even MP3 player?) for standalone use ... that would be pretty cool. Have it optionally powered via the Pandora's USB or the Pandora charger.

This is a great idea...the first thing that came to my mind....an ICP 2 :)

So far, the "stick 2 boxes together - make a battery charger" idea and the speakers idea are the best two ides I have seen.

Makes me wish I were a bit more handy with stuff like that.

Anyone have documentation on the pandora's battery?

I'm thinking:

battery, charge circuits, charge bargraph

fullUSB-A power out

miniUSB-B power in

what about a USB 2.0 hub, containing some useful devices?

I could imagine including

- wireless keyboard / mouse receiver

- 3G modem

- attachable / detachable LED keyboard light with a stiff arm (Pandora battery case makes for an excellent foot for such a light)

- connector for external power supply

- since only two internal USB ports are occupied by the above (light can simply use two power lines, no data lines required), there are two more USB ports of the hub available, that can be used for other external things (like USB2VGA adapter, hard disk etc)

USB hub was the first that came in my mind.

ICP would also be fun.

Having external Nubs to use as mouse with a proper housing.

Maybe I'll also try to make some nice stuff out of the battery cases (but I've got other things in my mind to do first.... 4 Shoulderbuttons aren't enough)

I have a USB hub of the right size - so this might be possible - I will look into it...

Back