Tech-talk on Open Source Handhelds in Rijswijk, The Netherlands

yaffle

Still Fresh
Hi there,

On 14th April 2011, Steve Maddison will be giving a tech-talk on Open Source Handhelds, followed by a hands-on workshop at the Competa Conference Center in Rijswijk., The Netherlands. Steve was one of the first in the Netherlands to receive his pandora, and has ported applications like Frotz, FUSE - The Free Unix Spectrum Emulator and SIMH. As Steve states: A great opportunity for (Dutch) handheld fans to meet up with like-minded people whilst enjoying a free dinner and drinks!

More info at the LinkedIn pandora handheld group:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3365184&trk=myg_ugrp_ovr

or if you're not on LinkedIn, you can sing up via the link at the competa site:

http://www.competa.com/community/events.php/12

See you there!

Yaffle B)

Official event text below:

In the fast-growing niche market of handheld devices, the worlds of embedded and desktop computing have collided to produce an exciting platform for mobile applications. Although primarily designed and used for gaming on the go, the increased performance of open source handhelds like the Pandora and GPH Caanoo is opening doors to new uses for these powerful yet compact devices.

This talk will give an introduction to these devices; where they came from, what makes them tick and - most importantly - what you can do with them. For those interested, the presentation will be followed by a hands-on workshop session in which participants can get to grips with the tools used for developing and packaging software on these platforms.

(Participants of the workshop are requested to bring their own laptop running an x86 version of Linux, or a suitable virtual machine.)

About the speaker: Steve Maddison is self-confessed Linux, open source and retro-gaming freak who's so attached to technology, he has to take it with him everywhere. This not only led him to porting software to the Pandora, but also to a career at Competa, where he now works as a Senior Unix Engineer.

Sounds great, I wonder if you would give us a report after the event so that those of us who can't attend can still get an idea of what progress was made ..

Good luck!

Cool, I'm definitely interested in this. Your other conferences sound pretty cool too (like the one about WebGL).

Never heard of Competa before :)

Sounds cool. Will see if I can arrange some decent traveling option for this event. By then I should already have my own Pandora, but I would love to meet some fellow Pandora members and/or people that are interested in the scene.

By the way, are there any costs related to the event? If so, how much? Didn't see this coming back on the website you provided in the opening post.

That looks interesting. If my company is willing to pay for my trip, I might come (and that shouldn't be too much of a problem, as I'm self-employed ;) )

Hey Yaffle, thanks for posting - I've been meaning to do so but you beat me to it ;-)

Sounds great, I wonder if you would give us a report after the event so that those of us who can't attend can still get an idea of what progress was made ..
Sure thing! The presentation and workshop slides will be online after the event, too.

The agenda isn't finalised yet, so if there are particular things people would like to see covered, be sure to let me know.

Cool, I'm definitely interested in this. Your other conferences sound pretty cool too (like the one about WebGL).
I've been to a few now and it's always been a nice evening. I'm looking forward to the WebGL one too. The guy speaking is a friend of mine and definitely knows his stuff!

Sounds cool. Will see if I can arrange some decent traveling option for this event. By then I should already have my own Pandora, but I would love to meet some fellow Pandora members and/or people that are interested in the scene.

By the way, are there any costs related to the event? If so, how much? Didn't see this coming back on the website you provided in the opening post.
Yes - even if you can't make it for the talk and/or workshop it's worth coming for gezelligheid ;-)

The event itself is completely free of charge, including food and drinks - you just need to get there. It's really easy to get to: right next to the A4 or just a short tram ride from either of the main stations in The Hague. More details here: https://competa.com/contact.php

Hope to see you all there!

P.S. be sure to reserve your seat by following that second link so they can get an idea of the numbers (and so they know how much beer refreshments to get in ;-)

Apologies in advance for the awesome bumpage ;-)

Just a quick reminder to those thinking about attending the talk and/or workshop next month (and of course a heads-up to newer members who didn't yet know about it). Be sure to reserve your place via the website!

The presentation is pretty much finalised, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on the workshop, which is going to be a bit more interesting that compiling the traditional "Hello, world!" program. I'll post links to all the resources after the event.

And one more up for this great initiative! Come on guys and gals.....Let us meet on the 14th!

I had hoped to bring my own pandora, but it looks like i'm going to have to dissect steve's .... :lol:

Yaffle

^ do you have an idea until what time it will be?

I want to know if I can make it back home at a reasonable time ;)

^ do you have an idea until what time it will be?
The talk is scheduled to start at 19:00 and will likely last about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on any questions, etc. There'll be a break between that and the workshop, which will probably start around 20:15 to 20:30. How long the workshop takes depends on how fast you manage to work through it - probably between 30 minutes and an hour. All the materials will be available online, so you always have the option of finishing it off at home if you need to get away earlier.

Ok, so lets say 19:00-22:00 ?

Sounds great to me, so I think I should register then. :)

Back