Beta Stuff For Testing !

God Ginrai said:
I'm not interested in one of those ubuntu-style hacks. I want something solid. Also, by telling the author that it will overlay into the man pages, it will hopefully get them to format their readmes as such.
So instead of using two separate yet robust systems that already exist, and a very thin middle layer to differentiate the two and make the difference invisible to the user, you think it would be better to hack support for something entirely new into a place that it currently doesn't exist? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
God Ginrai said:
I'm not interested in one of those ubuntu-style hacks. I want something solid. Also, by telling the author that it will overlay into the man pages, it will hopefully get them to format their readmes as such.
So instead of using two separate yet robust systems that already exist, and a very thin middle layer to differentiate the two and make the difference invisible to the user, you think it would be better to hack support for something entirely new into a place that it currently doesn't exist? :p

This wouldn't be a hack. All it would be doing is the same thing that PNDs do in the first place, just that the man pages themselves would be unpacked to wherever man looks for man pages.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
This wouldn't be a hack. All it would be doing is the same thing that PNDs do in the first place, just that the man pages themselves would be unpacked to wherever man looks for man pages.
PND files aren't unpacked though, they're mounted. You would either have to install the doc into /usr/share/man on the NAND, or hack up man to look inside PND files.
I still think my idea is better than that. Unless you have a better solution.

WizardStan said:
God Ginrai said:
PND files aren't unpacked though, they're mounted. You would either have to install the doc into /usr/share/man on the NAND, or hack up man to look inside PND files.
I still think my idea is better than that. Unless you have a better solution.

That sounds exactly like what you proposed.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Then I didn't explain well enough. I proposed a script that takes all the same parameters as man and attempts to call man with them, but if it fails, the script then queries the PND of the name given for the appropriate file and then calls man on that instead. I said less originally, but upon thinking about it, there's no reason you can't have a man file inside a PND. You just can't get man to automatically work with it without hacking it up, hence the extra layer of script. You then label this script "man" and rename the real man as something else (there's a standard for this but I forget what it is). man itself remains untouched by the complications of looking inside PND files for additional man files, and all requirements are met.

WizardStan said:
God Ginrai said:
Then I didn't explain well enough. I proposed a script that takes all the same parameters as man and attempts to call man with them, but if it fails, the script then queries the PND of the name given for the appropriate file and then calls man on that instead. I said less originally, but upon thinking about it, there's no reason you can't have a man file inside a PND. You just can't get man to automatically work with it without hacking it up, hence the extra layer of script. You then label this script "man" and rename the real man as something else (there's a standard for this but I forget what it is). man itself remains untouched by the complications of looking inside PND files for additional man files, and all requirements are met.

Ah, that sounds much better than what it seemed to me that you had originally described. I would be fine with something like that, however I would probably rather the script be called "pman" or something rather than renaming man.

-God Ginrai

Back