Still Plans For Webcam Feeds?

I Doubt that a webcam can be setup as WiFi barely makes it into the hall. It drops signal constantly.

Craig tried to connect his Macbook, but had no joy.

hopefully ED has an extender (or a coffee can with a wire drilled in the center of it)

If no webcam, they should do a quick music video with them all there.

Just a thought before I sleep.

If there is no possibility to get WiFi or whateva into the hall, then I am Ok with a time.shifted version. :)
Record some hours and stream it later (while you are recording the next session of course!).

Isn't it always the same with this project? You get promises and then you get disappointed.

PS:
for the record, the last part was a joke. Please don't flame. ;)

Edit @Scanti:
Damn! Now I need some1 to pixel a ninja-bandana for my Clyde-avatar :)

If the wi-fi connection is a bit dodgy ED could set up a time-lapse camera and upload to youtube later. It would be pretty cool watching a whole days work in about 5 minutes.

Argh Ninja'd.

x68000 said:
I Doubt that a webcam can be setup as WiFi barely makes it into the hall. It drops signal constantly.

Craig tried to connect his Macbook, but had no joy.

Yeah, that's my problem, too. I got everything prepared, I only need to fire up my netbook and connect the webcam - but I get no internet connection where the fun happens :(

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Yeah, that's my problem, too. I got everything prepared, I only need to fire up my netbook and connect the webcam - but I get no internet connection where the fun happens :(
Some people are coming to visit you today to help assembling.

Maybe one of them could bring a loooooooong ethernet cable?

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a good time to string a couple Pandoras between the Hall and the House and set up an ad-hoc Wifi relay, eh .. ;)

yes please find a solution guys. i dont wanna push or quote you evildragon, but isnt there a cheap small solution so 4000 customers can enjoy a webcam stream instead of being bored and make pictures of all your faces? :p :)

just asking and hoping ;)

torpor said:
This would be a good time to string a couple Pandoras between the Hall and the House and set up an ad-hoc Wifi relay, eh .. ;)
While this might sound like a great idea, it will require a setup that's not really possible with the pandoras. The problem being there's only 1 NIC per pandora. Of course ED could get the dongles out and do it that way, but the setup is daunting. You need to get 1 NIC to host a WiFi network in master mode, and run a DHCP server on that interface. You then need to bridge all your crap through the other interface, that you connect to the previous link in the chain. It takes some setting up, and you can get it to work, but it would be easier if some rich dude could provide 2 macs with an ethernet cable between them and just set up internet sharing over wifi, which is basically a push of a button.

EDIT: or 1 mac with an extra wifi dongle.

zhasha said:
torpor said:
While this might sound like a great idea, it will require a setup that's not really possible with the pandoras. The problem being there's only 1 NIC per pandora. Of course ED could get the dongles out and do it that way, but the setup is daunting. You need to get 1 NIC to host a WiFi network in master mode, and run a DHCP server on that interface. You then need to bridge all your crap through the other interface, that you connect to the previous link in the chain. It takes some setting up, and you can get it to work, but it would be easier if some rich dude could provide 2 macs with an ethernet cable between them and just set up internet sharing over wifi, which is basically a push of a button.

EDIT: or 1 mac with an extra wifi dongle.

I would settle for a simple video of the process thats uploaded later (not live).

How far is the nearest accessible network? There are many methods of increasing the range of a wireless network. Google: extend wifi

In the worst case scenario, if you have a line of sight, a pair of binoculars in front of the web cam lenses might do the trick. Place the laptop where it sees the network, and aim the camera+binoculars on the work area. :)

Just build the units ,forget the web cam feed ,it will be more trouble than it's worth and time is essence !

Besides some people already have pandora units now and will be posting pics vids and reviews on youtube so we all have that to look forward to ,OPT have a busy time ahead and we have already saw some video and great pics of the hall including production pandoras x100.

Back