Starting OS/Firmware Dev?

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I wasn't sure whether to post this, because my spare time is sparse - more-so at the minute than usual - but I'm interested in helping if and when I can so...

Primarily, I'm a Windows developer. My main desktop runs Windows; however, since the Pandora, I've dabbled with Linux a bit more. To a point now, where I have a Debian VM set up to develop desktop apps with CodeBlocks, MonoDevelop and QtCreator, and Android with Necessatias (Qt). But that's all still user software.

I would like to get more into the firmware/os side, but as my limitations of Linux end there, I don't even know where to begin.

So, a question for people like Notaz and aTc, where do I start?

Working on the OS will be a long list of task. I for one believe we should make a thread listing every job/tasks to be done. Everyone will be free to pick his task.

For me each task once taken should see a thread here where specific help/status report should be done.

Here is my list of task to be done : that should grow over time, as many will have other ideas :

1°) Create the .deb files for libpnd/pnd system.

That doesnt need to be done on ARM. It should work on x86 too. The produced deb files should conform to the debian standard and provide the good dependency informations.

2°) Create a hacked superzaxon rootfs to allow backward compat

3°) Pyra system setting (aka let's get ride of these bash scripts :)

4°) Improved PND-like system (with the pyra and distribution/server sides)

5°) Define the list of the standard libraries we all want in the root FS

6°) Create the official cross-compiling toolchain

7°) Create a pyra-dev.deb depending on all the -dev from the supported libs

8°) Create a minimenu-like system supporting the new res (or improve mmenu)

9°) Kernel work

10°) SDL patches to get free support to the hardware accel

11°) Setup the debian build host and document howto build one (to automate build of the official packages in the repo)

The list goes on and on

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe collect all Pyra specific adjustments/options in one place, rather than having Create Pandora SD card, Pandora Input Tester, Pandora Nub Configurator, LED Settings, etc. spread all over the place? Especially programmes you don't need use up space and they are harder to find when you need them.

Nice list, thanks. I probably wouldn't know where to start on any of them, except:

8°) Create a minimenu-like system supporting the new res (or improve mmenu)
I would like to be involved with this (see my other thread). I guess to do that though, you'd need to know the specs of the PND/PYRA package format(s) going on in the other thread.

I would like to be involved with this (see my other thread). I guess to do that though, you'd need to know the specs of the PND/PYRA package format(s) going on in the other thread.
It would be nice if you could start on top of the minimenu code (and maybe make your changes backward compat :p )

It would be nice if you could start on top of the minimenu code (and maybe make your changes backward compat :p )
Well, going back a while, I was talking to Skeezix when I was hacking in my WiFi menu, and he mentioned about rewriting with support for plugins etc. Might be a good time to address that?

Call me presumptuous, but action is better than talk!

https://github.com/Pyra-Handheld/TODO/issues

I suggest setting up individual repositories for issues which would require significant detail- such as Kernel development, etc.

Also, sorry if you got avalanched with issues!
Need to be done for Pyra.

Maybe, to resolve some issues on Pandora, could be done too.

maybe collect all Pyra specific adjustments/options in one place, rather than having Create Pandora SD card, Pandora Input Tester, Pandora Nub Configurator, LED Settings, etc. spread all over the place? Especially programmes you don't need use up space and they are harder to find when you need them.
This was my plan for the Pandora all along. A sort of Pandora control center.Only my hardware broke down and I never bothered to have it repaired.

As such I never got further than writing the Nub Configurator and the OVR editor.

I do intend to pick up such tasks again for the Pyra.

Back