Linux Os?

edgex004 said:
Also, twice I've read "chan" and would like to know what that is. I could google it, but I'd rather hear it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
4chan, the proverbial (and literal) dumping grounds of the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
edgex004 said:
Also, twice I've read "chan" and would like to know what that is.  I could google it, but I'd rather hear it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
there are a number of popular imageboards on the Internet with their names following the formula *chan. 4chan was the first, and it was inspired by a Japanese board called 2channel. There are others, like 7chan, 12chan, 420chan, and a shitload of others too.

Alerino said:
Pandora is mostly for nerds, retro-nerds and opensource-nerds.
i assume you didnt read my 'interests' under my name then.

another (slightly off topic) question (but i dont want to make another thread so as not to flood): can i change the background of the screen when im not using it to be spiderman 3? sort of like the 'backgrounds' that you can choose your own in windows (not sure if you open source techies can understand this). if not that's fine im sure whatever it is right now will be okay

WizardStan said:
Guys, seriously, do you not realize you're being had here? You're embarrassing me by association.
Not really. It just seems like some normal person (I assume this is what normal people are like?) accidentally wandered into the Pandora forum asking for The Windows Explorer Of Warcraft and needs to have things explained to them repeatedly with small words.

I am trying really hard not to be an ass, but these are incredibly stupid questions, and since WizardStan asked, it really is pissing me off. Do some GODDAMNED RESEARCH, especially on CPU architectures and operating systems. I mean, some Wikipedia research. In like 4 hours you could have answered your own questions on the Pandora forever.

Double post.

Yes, you can change the background.
No, about half the forum uses Windows and half uses Linux, but most of the Linux guys probably dual-boot Windows, and we all use GUIs, so I know what a wallpaper is.

Oh, you mean the screensaver.
Yeah, there will probably be a screensaver, and you can set it to display a picture of whatever.

Edit: I don't know what the hell you're talking about. You can set both the wallpaper and the screensaver, but the screensaver is the one that activates after you don't touch it for a few minutes, and it covers the other windows.

And what is your avatar? I want to comment on it, but I should probably ask who it is first.

Harold Hutchins said:
Alerino said:
Pandora is mostly for nerds, retro-nerds and opensource-nerds.
i assume you didnt read my 'interests' under my name then.

another (slightly off topic) question (but i dont want to make another thread so as not to flood): can i change the background of the screen when im not using it to be spiderman 3? sort of like the 'backgrounds' that you can choose your own in windows (not sure if you open source techies can understand this). if not that's fine im sure whatever it is right now will be okay
Of course... What do you think this is, a cheap Chinese MP4 player?

lulzfish said:
Double post.

Yes, you can change the background.
No, about half the forum uses Windows and half uses Linux, but most of the Linux guys probably dual-boot Windows, and we all use GUIs, so I know what a wallpaper is.

Oh, you mean the screensaver.
Yeah, there will probably be a screensaver, and you can set it to display a picture of whatever.

Edit: I don't know what the hell you're talking about. You can set both the wallpaper and the screensaver, but the screensaver is the one that activates after you don't touch it for a few minutes, and it covers the other windows.

And what is your avatar? I want to comment on it, but I should probably ask who it is first.
that is my beautiful WoW gf porcelein_rain1, we echat a lot which is why i wanted to email from my open pandora on boat.

mindlord, I assume that's exactly what the TC was thinking the Pandora is. As long as she can mention both mods & hacking as interests and yet still be oblivious to things like operating systems and the differences in cpu architecture it should have been fairly obvious.

This is exactly the sort of person that stumbles into the forums on the PSP board over at GameFAQs. And I have to say, it's great to see some real discussion happening as this board is much quieter in comparison (noting that while there are few relevant new topics made over there they do get their fair share of and then some of redundant replies).

Harold Hutchins, there is a fair chance of anything you consider normal (and then some) in terms of using Windows you will be able to accomplish on an Open Pandora. But feel free to ask, as the board is restless due to the long wait for the system to arrive.

You'll need a webcam so you can prove that you are on a boat, because these days who just believes that? Luckily most will work with the Pandora. It will also help with all the troll/orc rp cybering.

I noticed VNC has been brought up a few times in this thread. Using VNC to remote control another computer? While that works, I don't think there's a VNC viewer available that handles directx. If you try with a stock vnc viewer, all you get is a black screen. Your cursor will be visible (sometimes, I know it is in Warhammer and Aion online, and also WoW), but you won't see anything else.

thank you all for supporting me so much through my journey of self discovery i only have one last final question does the open pandora linux come with a mouse or a cursor? i have never used any linux before in the past and im not sure what else i could use to browse the DotA forums and still be able to click on my favorite icons (there are icons right? or if not is there a quick launch or a start menu in place?)

Harold Hutchins said:
lulzfish said:
that is my beautiful WoW gf porcelein_rain1

You, sir, are a lucky man.

Alerino said:
Harold Hutchins said:
thank you all for supporting me so much through my journey of self discovery i only have one last final question does the open pandora linux come with a mouse or a cursor? i have never used any linux before in the past and im not sure what else i could use to browse the DotA forums and still be able to click on my favorite icons (there are icons right? or if not is there a quick launch or a start menu in place?)

pandora is touch screen, but you can use the nubs, qwerty keyboard or a stylus
and yes, you will have an environment pretty much like windows, icons, screens, menus, themes, and the whole package
or a usb mouse if you were so inclined

edgex004 said:
Harold Hutchins said:
lulzfish said:
that is my beautiful WoW gf porcelein_rain1

You, sir, are a lucky man.
i know she's stunningly dazzling and she can also crit for 30k+ even against bosses!
edit oh okay i just meant cursor but i didnt know you could click with touch screen, thats really cool feature.

If you keep feeding a stray dog troll, it's going to keep coming back for more food because it thinks you are going to feed it again.

I'm disappointed in you guys, I really am. You guys should know better than this.

I'm wondering exactly how someone who hasnt actually tried to bash the machine or the people making it can be a troll. I mean even if he were trying to be one he'd be horribly ineffective. All I'm seeing are newbie questions from someone that has never used Linux.

Alpha2, you mean never used Linux, looked into other Operating Systems, or considered what different hardware might be like when compared to a PC.

Back