Pandora Os - Themes?

kingoddball

Hello!

Just a quick question on the Pandora OS.

Will it have changeable themes like full desktop Linux distros?

I like the OS, but I'm not a fan of the old (Windows 9x style) gray bars.

I have been reading and looking at all the great Wallpaper WIP's :wub: and such, but have not seen any talk of themes.

Thanks! :ph34r:

Yes. you can switch gtk themes, on xfce-look you can find a lot of themes. I also think they could change the default gtk theme to something a little bit more exiting, but it should be easy to change yourself.

Thank You!
I think I would like something green.
I've been playing with Fedora core 11&12 lately and I enjoy the package manager and theme manager.

KDE is great!

I'm deffo going to inflict my design onto this eventually

just downloaded a skin from there. looks difficult but doable.

gtkrc file is the config file and can be open in wordpad. the macos theme i have looks complicated... might try a smaller theme
the .theme file is just a developers credits note

dentrado said:
Yes. you can switch gtk themes, on xfce-look you can find a lot of themes. I also think they could change the default gtk theme to something a little bit more exiting, but it should be easy to change yourself.
you're sure the stuff on this site will also work on pandora? Then its download time! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of it might not work on the Pandora no, at least maybe not at first. Some of the themes there are for Xubuntu and have certain dependancies. All I know is i've tried them on other XFCE setups and the GTK part of the theme doesn't display properly. Not entirely sure why.

hope Mweston, criagix or evild see this post and release the default or compatable skin for us to use here

This one would match the black Pandora case a lot more.

At first I got the Arch and Ångström symbol mixed up and was going to say 'It already works on Ångström' but it's Arch.

109895-1.png

109895-2.png

just needs optimising by enlarging the window modification and close buttons.
looks awesome tho

Trevsweb said:
looks awesome tho
I would suspect that things need to be enlarged a little bit for the Pandora, especially if you plan on using your finger to navigate. Maybe have two presets, finger navigation and stylus navigation?

Pretty much all themes from xfce-look should be usable, it's a matter of how fast the gtk-engines will be ported. Those don't need to be installed from xfce-look but preferably from the angstrom repo's.

I'm a big fan of the shiki-colors themes. It's a big pack with fitting gtk-themes, icon-themes, window-decorations and other things. In the end, you'll have a very complete look and feel. As it uses the murrine-engine, it's really fast.

86717-1.png

86717-3.jpg

second exodous said:
Trevsweb said:
looks awesome tho
I would suspect that things need to be enlarged a little bit for the Pandora, especially if you plan on using your finger to navigate. Maybe have two presets, finger navigation and stylus navigation?

im going to be using the stylus mostly on the os and browser so will only need to be marginly bigger just to make it easier to hit :p

I usually try to use dark themes, because at night it gives me less eye strain to look at dark backgrounds and light text than vice versa. It makes using firefox 3.5+ a pain, though. Their shiny active tab gradient makes it almost impossible to read anything other than black text.

Edit: borgqueen: gtk will be difficult to avoid, so it's not really a problem.

Lunatic said:
I usually try to use dark themes, because at night it gives me less eye strain to look at dark backgrounds and light text than vice versa. It makes using firefox 3.5+ a pain, though. Their shiny active tab gradient makes it almost impossible to read anything other than black text.

Edit: borgqueen: gtk will be difficult to avoid, so it's not really a problem.
Distors that use GTK handle fonts/colors in Firefox, if you have a dark theme it changes the font accordingly. I stopped using special themes in Firefox because I liked the default button icons so the only thing left to change is the color.

Green Lemon 2 looks nice if the Lemon wasn't so Lemony.
79178-2.jpg

If we can get the fancy themes, I would love one with an OSX style dock.

Similar to this:

Arch_Linux___KDE_Mod_by_Weslly.png

kingoddball said:
If we can get the fancy themes, I would love one with an OSX style dock.
I used various docks before but I just never got used to them. OSX is just a dock OS, even with docks that work exactly the same in other OSs they just seem out of place.

I'm pretty sure that someone will get a dock working on the Pandora though, it is a really cool thing to brag about but functionality wise doesn't offer much.

Back