Pandora Os - Themes?

second exodous said:
kingoddball said:
If we can get the fancy themes, I would love one with an OSX style dock.
I used various docks before but I just never got used to them. OSX is just a dock OS, even with docks that work exactly the same in other OSs they just seem out of place.

I'm pretty sure that someone will get a dock working on the Pandora though, it is a really cool thing to brag about but functionality wise doesn't offer much.

Couldn't agree more. I regularly install and uninstall docks, cause I like the visuals but never find them useful in the end ^^
All I need is a panel with a menu, virtual-desktop-switcher. window-list, notification-area, mixer-applet and a clock. I could probably even get rid of some of them on the pandora. Desktop-applets and docks are eyecandy to show off, but nothing I'd invoke in my regular computer-usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a related note: is it possible to make the XFCE WM put window buttons Mac style? I've gotten used to metacity being awesome (close,minimize,maximize:menu)

second exodous said:
I'm pretty sure that someone will get a dock working on the Pandora though, it is a really cool thing to brag about but functionality wise doesn't offer much.

I'd say it depends on how the dock works and how you use it that makes it functional or not. I only have folders/documents/files on my desktop which I drag to progams in the dock on OSX, which is more like a dedicated taskbar. Of course it works differently on a mac than it does if you just put it in linux or folder docking in windows. Then it's just weird if it's just a dock that displays something in a folder. Windows 7 has adopted something similar which I think is really handy. In that respect, I get what that poster is talking about. I like that all the applications are packages in one folder where they can be launched as opposed to exe's divided into several folders, and needing shortcuts to access them.

darien said:
second exodous said:

I'd say it depends on how the dock works and how you use it that makes it functional or not. I only have folders/documents/files on my desktop which I drag to progams in the dock on OSX, which is more like a dedicated taskbar. Of course it works differently on a mac than it does if you just put it in linux or folder docking in windows. Then it's just weird if it's just a dock that displays something in a folder.
Like I said, OSX is just a Dock OS. There are docks in Linux that do the exact same but for some reason I don't like docks in any other SO, just OSX. I've gotten docks in Linux to look fabulous and function the same as in OSX, but Linux just doesn't feel like a dock OS so it's always out of place.

i use rocketdock on my windows computer. its a waste of time but it looks so nice.

second exodous said:
kingoddball said:
I used various docks before but I just never got used to them. OSX is just a dock OS, even with docks that work exactly the same in other OSs they just seem out of place.

The only OSX like dock I know of for linux is Avant Window Navigator. Sadly it relies on compositing, so unless we get the compositing support from XFCE 4.2.0 we won't see it.

mindlord said:
second exodous said:
kingoddball said:

The only OSX like dock I know of for linux is Avant Window Navigator. Sadly it relies on compositing, so unless we get the compositing support from XFCE 4.2.0 we won't see it.
There are a few that mimic the OSX dock almost exactly. My favorite was one for Gnome that didn't mimic everything of the OSX dock but had a few Gnome specific stuff and was very minimalistic. I can't remember what it's called, it seems like I've tried a dozen at least. The also take way too long to set up for what they do.

I am a lover of Docking, in fact I rely exclusively in it on my windows.
Meet my ObjectDock:

47087741.png

The upper dock is categorized. Each of these icons brings a fan-like group of apps when clicked, like this:

47087520.png

The lower dock is for fast access of favorite apps:
47087897.png

If we could reproduce something like that on the Pandora, I would be the most happy =]

Near-kun said:
I am a lover of Docking, in fact I rely exclusively in it on my windows.
Meet my ObjectDock:
If we could reproduce something like that on the Pandora, I would be the most happy =]
Why do you keep your start/task bar if you have a dock? Isn't the point of a dock to replace the start/task bar? A dock coupled with something like expose makes the start/task bar pointless.

I configured the dockings so the minimizes apps won't "minimize to the dock", but to the taskbar.

The dockings are there for me to launch apps, not to resume minimized ones.
Without those dockings, my desktop would be a HUGE frigging mess, full of icons and all that shit =/

Near-kun said:
I configured the dockings so the minimizes apps won't "minimize to the dock", but to the taskbar.

Without those dockings, my desktop would be a HUGE frigging mess, full of icons and all that shit =/
If you had an expose setup then you would never have to minimize anything, that is the whole point of expose in OSX. I had a set up like that in Gnome for quite a while but reverted back to the task bar because at the time I didn't have much open.

Over all I think expose is much better than a task bar but it's resource intensive.

Near-kun said:

You should try Fences. I've got 200-300 icons on my desktop, all launchable in about a second. That level of organization isn't possible with a regular dockbar. ;) You're right that it'd be a huge firgging mess!

I've got mine set up with fully transparent categories for different apps and tasks. Each pane is scrollable, which is nice.

Back