Squidge's Mmu Hack: Discovery Of The Month :)

Uh, is there something you want to share with the class, Radek?

I personally can't wait until we get full access to all the hardware, including the second CPU. But the hack is a wonderful start. I even donated, and I am fairly poor.

well, this basicialy GIVES us acces to all the hardware, includeing irq's, the bus betwene the cpu's, and more

Uh, is there something you want to share with the class, Radek?

I personally can't wait until we get full access to all the hardware, including the second CPU. But the hack is a wonderful start. I even donated, and I am fairly poor.

Think of a possibility that GP2'x blitter can be an obsolete thing.
(but I don't know if it'd be bad or good? - rather good anyway that a software routines could get you better results ;) )

And for GP2x's hardware... the most power to potentiatlly to get is in GP2x's Videoprocessor. This thing can decode DivX stream easily and it's flexible to be able to encode too (among other things!).

Sorry if I'm too optimistic... But do you realize how really GP2x (actual MMSP2 chipset) is powerfull?

We were just using a blitter and to (a degree) 2nd CPU and there are some other coprocessors inside. No - it'll not be like a PSP - except some crazy coded demos.

But it's like with every black horses... and there might be... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I wanna donate a small amount (~$50) towards the development of gngeo, drmd, and squidgesnes. But I am still confused by who to donate to. I'm pretty sure that Reesy's the man for drmd and I know where's the email address. But for gngeo, is it EvilDragon or Pepone? Also, for Squidgesnes, is it Reesy, Pepone, or Squidge?

If all the aformentioned have worked on have worked on pieces of gngeo and squidgesnes, I'd like to donate to the person that will most likely get "savestates" working for gngeo. For squidgesnes, just general speed improvements (most likely squidge?).

Thanks.

Hey guys, I wanna donate a small amount (~$50) towards the development of gngeo, drmd, and squidgesnes. But I am still confused by who to donate to. I'm pretty sure that Reesy's the man for drmd and I know where's the email address. But for gngeo, is it EvilDragon or Pepone? Also, for Squidgesnes, is it Reesy, Pepone, or Squidge?

If all the aformentioned have worked on have worked on pieces of gngeo and squidgesnes, I'd like to donate to the person that will most likely get "savestates" working for gngeo. For squidgesnes, just general speed improvements (most likely squidge?).

Thanks.

Squidge for SquidgeSNES, pepone for Gngeo2x, Reesy for DrMD... although they all have helped each other out in some way with each of the 3 projects (I.E, Z80 core for Gngeo2x by Reesy, Autoframeskip for SNES by pepone, MMU hack for faster framebuffer/access to higher memory by Squidge for all emulators).

Give each an equal amount, they all have put a huge amount of work for all....

Thanks. That's where I got my info originally. But I recently saw EvilDragon submitting Gngeo V0.6.12c and saw pepone and reesy working on squidgesnes and got all confused.

EvilDragon's one of the wonderful chaps who runs this forum. He also maintains the invaluable Archive.

I've got a question...

I remember a while back, someone was talking about something in development called HH mode, which would make all the apps/games/emus on the 2X run faster. Does Squidge's MMU hack do the same thing HH would do?

At any rate, Squidge's hack is wonderful.... portable Genesis/NeoGeo never looked so good. :)

No, HH mode would let the app run on the true hardware without the Linux OS in the way, the squidge's hack is just as it says, a hack that lets you access more memory.

TBH, Your not going to get much more speed from changing to HH than you are by implementing my MMU hack. Your probably talking a few fps at best. The only thing slowing programs down now is the task switching, which occurs every 50ms or so. As long as you don't have anything running in the background, Linux should be quite efficient.

Of course, the hack needs a few tweaks to bring out the best in Linux - cache flushing & locking, interrupt handling, etc (Yes, it's possible to get direct access to the interrupts under Linux, I've just not written something thats publishable yet).

Also, before anyone asks, yes, it's also possible to write a MMU-based GBA emulator under Linux. But that's a big job, so don't expect someone to do it over a weekend.

Squidge posted on Jul 3 2006 at 07:49 AM said:
TBH, Your not going to get much more speed from changing to HH than you are by implementing my MMU hack. Your probably talking a few fps at best. The only thing slowing programs down now is the task switching, which occurs every 50ms or so. As long as you don't have anything running in the background, Linux should be quite efficient.

Of course, the hack needs a few tweaks to bring out the best in Linux - cache flushing & locking, interrupt handling, etc (Yes, it's possible to get direct access to the interrupts under Linux, I've just not written something thats publishable yet).

Also, before anyone asks, yes, it's also possible to write a MMU-based GBA emulator under Linux. But that's a big job, so don't expect someone to do it over a weekend.

Cool I just hope there will be a fix that will help get rid of the lines in DrMD. It is so incredibly fast, the only thing hurting it are those random black lines.

Great hack though.

Squidge posted on Jul 3 2006 at 09:49 AM said:

And what's with N64? :ph34r: *runs away and hides*

;)

hackgrid posted on Jul 3 2006 at 10:13 AM said:
Squidge posted on Jul 3 2006 at 09:49 AM said:

And what's with N64? :ph34r: *runs away and hides*

;)

If you want to write an N64 emu, be my guest :)

It'd be feasible because of the potential to execute ARM code natively (ARM7 code on an ARM9 processor in the GP2X) rather than just for direct speed gain reasons. N64 is still going to be pretty much an impossiblity at anything close to full speed.

Back