Squidge's Mmu Hack: Discovery Of The Month :)

hackgrid posted on Jul 3 2006 at 03:02 PM said:
Draken posted on Jul 3 2006 at 01:16 PM said:
Not that we have enough buttons anyway...

We have enough for Zelda ;)

Zelda is a sissy game anyway, why bother? ;)

I prefer platformers in 2D too, it's perhaps my deviation from 8-bit microcomputers era. And GP2x is very adept to be an excellent machine for 2D games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Jul 3 2006 at 06:13 AM said:
hackgrid posted on Jul 3 2006 at 10:13 AM said:
Squidge posted on Jul 3 2006 at 09:49 AM said:
Also, before anyone asks, yes, it's also possible to write a MMU-based GBA emulator under Linux. But that's a big job, so don't expect someone to do it over a weekend.

And what's with N64? :ph34r: *runs away and hides*

;)

If you want to write an N64 emu, be my guest :)

Just let me note that the person most capable of actually pulling it off would probably be you. ;P

Epicenter posted on Jul 3 2006 at 06:13 AM said:
It'd be feasible because of the potential to execute ARM code natively (ARM7 code on an ARM9 processor in the GP2X) rather than just for direct speed gain reasons. N64 is still going to be pretty much an impossiblity at anything close to full speed.

Is there an off button for this thing? It's like a magic 8 ball, it uses preset phrases that are not proven to bat down the possibility of N64 emulation, and mentionind N64 is like shaking it!

Draken posted on Jul 3 2006 at 07:16 AM said:

We actually have one extra button, as I have stressed in MANY topics. Don't forget about the Volume buttons. With the volume buttons, you can set each of the N64's buttons to a button, leaving the Stick Click unused! (one extra button) We can then use stick click for the menu's menu, OR just not use the Stick click and come up with some sort of button combination, since IIRC, I think DaveC said that using the Stick Click a lot is what makes your stick cover fall off or something like that.

Radek posted on Jul 3 2006 at 09:36 AM said:
hackgrid posted on Jul 3 2006 at 03:02 PM said:
Draken posted on Jul 3 2006 at 01:16 PM said:

We have enough for Zelda ;)

Zelda is a sissy game anyway, why bother? ;)

I prefer platformers in 2D too, it's perhaps my deviation from 8-bit microcomputers era. And GP2x is very adept to be an excellent machine for 2D games.

Don't diss Zelda. ;P It's unhealthy.

God Ginrai posted on Jul 9 2006 at 07:47 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Jul 3 2006 at 06:13 AM said:
It'd be feasible because of the potential to execute ARM code natively (ARM7 code on an ARM9 processor in the GP2X) rather than just for direct speed gain reasons. N64 is still going to be pretty much an impossiblity at anything close to full speed.

Is there an off button for this thing? It's like a magic 8 ball, it uses preset phrases that are not proven to bat down the possibility of N64 emulation, and mentionind N64 is like shaking it!

No it is just that some of us base our opinions and predictions based on something called *reality*

Epicenter is a coder and he knows about how emus and the hardware works.

I am not a coder but can tell you that emulating a 90 MHz MIPs CPU, 3D polygon GPU with floating point maths and a sound chip on a 200 MHz ARM based handheld with no FPU or 3D GPU is obsurd. To even mention the possibility of playable N64 emulation on the GP2X shows that you have no concept of what an emulator is and how they work.

I am just hoping for decent SNES emulation someday. That would be 200 MHz, fs0-1, full speed w/clear non stuttering sound on all emulated games (not just the select few) but probably no transparencies. That is at least possible.

lol are you actually in sarcasm mode too? Hopefully... lol. DaveC has a point: Do a reality check before you insult a coder!!! N64 is just not going to happen, never ever and no, it's not comparable to a psx! But seriously, that gba mmu possibility really turns me on... Rooooarrr.... well somebody would have to hack an emulator to implement the feature or better write one from scratch... it's so easy to talk about great emulation possibilities if you are only a consumer and the only thing you can do in C is outputting hello world. *sniff*

Also, before anyone asks, yes, it's also possible to write a MMU-based GBA emulator under Linux. But that's a big job, so don't expect someone to do it over a weekend.
Beat you to it, Squidge. I've asked this question twice at least already. Once in your own thread, iirc. :p
[edit] Nop, it wasn't in your thread... in that case, I have no idea where it was I posted that... maybe I dreamed it? >_<

STTrife posted on Jul 9 2006 at 07:16 PM said:
I'd like to see a n64 emulator no matter what the speed is ;) it's just cool

Well, there's a straight C/SDL port that runs at 4 FPS, if I recall correctly. :p

oh.. alright... no goody for me. i'm a windows whore and used to gui's ;)

but i'd love to see n64 emu. let's hope and not just say it's not possible.

Epicenter posted on Jul 10 2006 at 05:20 AM said:
STTrife posted on Jul 9 2006 at 07:16 PM said:
I'd like to see a n64 emulator no matter what the speed is ;) it's just cool

Well, there's a straight C/SDL port that runs at 4 FPS, if I recall correctly. :p
4FPS?

ridge racer runs at that speed on the psx emu :p
i wouldn't say it's worthless to make a n64 emu with such performance ;)

Back