Sporty Sporting Sports Thread

So, it's gridiron football time in America again.

Both of my sisters attended the University of North Carolina, and now's a pretty exciting time for UNC fans, as their football team has won two games in a row that they were not favored to win to start the season. It's even more significant when you remember that the American college football season is only 12 games long.

That said, I didn't go to college, so I'm more interested to see what the Carolina Panthers, our NFL team, are going to do later today.

Reactions: rSl
In less parochial news, a red car won the race today. That's inspite of one of them not scoring a valid qualitying lap yet still being placed 4th to begin, and the other one making mistakes even after being warned for making mistakes, yet still not being penalised. That's when happens when a Ferrari races in Monza, folks!

since this is the internet, and everyone cares about my opinion, i'm glad to share it -- american football is an evil sport. any sport that includes concussions and brain damage (i.e., CTE) on a regular basis is morally reprehensible.

I don't believe our opinions match, good sir.

Don't worry though, I promise to only hate you ironically, not sincerely.

since this is the internet, and everyone cares about my opinion, i'm glad to share it -- american football is an evil sport. any sport that includes concussions and brain damage (i.e., CTE) on a regular basis is morally reprehensible.
And in my opinion, American football players are big girls blouses compared to rugby football players who play a comparable game but without all of the excessive padding that those 'murican players wear. Not quite as big girls blouses as the Canadian football players who play almost the same game as Rugby Union but in a similar get-up to the 'murican footballers.

I dunno, being serious for a second, I'm not especially keen on any sport where concussion is a common thing, but it seems to be the only reason it's being picked up in American football so much is that they're testing for it. Everywhere where they've introduced tests for it, they're finding it happens all of the time. I reckon they're going to end up having to define a more subtle level of concussion that is permitted before a player has to be removed from the field. I mean, it even happens in non-contact sports like cricket as we recently learnt (re. Sam Smith missing a test in the Ashes due to it)

I often hear them when they're mating, but I think their mating season is over here now. Certainly not seen one since I was a kid I think, or maybe I've just seen them on TV.

Guys, I've got bad news.

There are four teams left in the NFL playoffs, and Tom Brady is on one of them, because of course he is. We're on the cusp of the last thing the world needs right now, another Tom Brady Super Bowl.

dqdb2d2h.jpg

I just found this book on Amazon. Learn how to play pocket billiards with Willie, new edition coming soon.

• Haha
So, in just over thirteen hours is the game that will decide whether or not Tom Brady goes to his tenth Super Bowl. I think you all know what to do.

But in case you don't, what you should be doing is placing voodoo curses on Tom Brady.

• Love
Okay, so we're now eight days from the Super Bowl, so I think it's okay to discuss what teams are in it.

On the NFC side, you have Tampa Bay, which includes Tom Brady, a.k.a. that guy we're not gonna root for. On the AFC side, you have the Kansas City Chiefs, which include Patrick Mahomes, a.k.a. that guy we are going to root for.

If you mix the two up, I'll take it personally, and probably leave a pile of garbage on your porch.

• Haha
I'm sorry JDTAY, but if I have an opinion on this, I'm going to have to go for the team from the NFC, namely Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Just because the stars in the AFC logo are too close together, wheras they're well spaced in the NFC logo. You can argue that basing your opinion on the kerning of stars in a conference logo is daft, but I'll just say it's no more daft that whatever sporting reason you have for choosing a team.

In case you all forgot, the Super Bowl is in about four and a half hours. Don't go to bed early tonight.

Also, I heard Tom Brady secretly hates puppies. Rumors are just rumors, but, um, they don't emerge from a vacuum.

Back