Some pictures from the GamesCom 2015

Yes, it's an emulator, but modified with memory injection so multiplayer works.

These guys have the original hardware and analyzed how the networking works directly in the hardware.

They also have a live view monitor available - something Daytona didn't even support.
I'm sure it was an hard but interesting task to get the game working like that. :)

Slow is very relative, but it does use eMMC but instead of the Pyra's 200Mhz BUS the Pandora has a 48MHz bus...
Yupp, Pandora takes it's time, no matter if SD or internal memory. It can only get better.

Edit: Removed questionably sexist comments and quotes - Binky

Last edited by a moderator:
Yupp, Pandora takes it's time, no matter if SD or internal memory. It can only get better.
At a minimum, the Pyra should be four times faster at sequential read/writes, up to twelve times, just based on the bus alone (assuming a good eMMC is put in there, all the bus improvements in the world won't help a slow chip)

Hey does anyone know if the nubs on the Pyra are clickable or not?
Yes, the nubs are clickable. But only when centered.
At least the current ones, of which there's enough for 1000 units. That exact nub is no longer being manufactured: there're replacements of smaller travel with click, or same travel with no click, so it's not a death knell, just an unfortunate loss of a feature. On the other hand, he mentioned something about if it sells well enough with enough interest for more he can probably get them to do a custom run for all future Pyra's. Not sure if that's still on the table or if he's found another solution.

Let's not get creepy please.
Couldn't agree more.

Any further sexist/creepy comments will be edited and/or hidden, as have many of those in the last two pages.

We used to have a line in the forum rules along the lines of the following:

"Do not post anything you wouldn't be happy for your grandmother to see. Even if your grandmother is as uncouth as you are, you should still be polite."

Perhaps it should be put back again?

PtitSeb is it Sega Rally running on Pyra ?

post-5182-0-08130100-1439198157.jpg
Yes. On the Saturn. But it was with interpreter core (I had issue with the dynamic that I have not fixed yet) and it was already faster than on the pandora

thanks for all the nice updates and the crew who

helped at the booth!

i think i spotted ron gilbert on one of ed's images.

i really enjoy reading the devblog updates for their new

adventure game thimbleweed park he is doing with

garry winnick and mark ferrari. pure retro-gold! :)

PtitSeb is it Sega Rally running on Pyra ?

post-5182-0-08130100-1439198157.jpg
Yes. On the Saturn. But it was with interpreter core (I had issue with the dynamic that I have not fixed yet) and it was already faster than on the pandora
Very glad to see that your still working on Saturn emulation for Pyra. There's a lot of good games on that system. This and dc emulation should sell a few Pyras.

Can someone give us a link to the german boards gamescom 2015 thread please ?

helped at the booth!

Yep, that was Ron who was visiting the GamesCom this year :)

Reactions: rSl
Ron Gilbert? Where?  :eek:

I've seen the KS campaign about his new "Thimbleweed Park" Adventure, so retro! :D I hope he was happy in the retro area, I imagine he played one of his famous games onto a Pandora... ^_^

Let's not get creepy please.
Couldn't agree more.

Any further sexist/creepy comments will be edited and/or hidden, as have many of those in the last two pages.

We used to have a line in the forum rules along the lines of the following:

"Do not post anything you wouldn't be happy for your grandmother to see. Even if your grandmother is as uncouth as you are, you should still be polite."

Perhaps it should be put back again?
Not that I care in the slightest, but saying i like a picture is somehow sexist/creepy?
That seems a bit extreme. All i did was

I pic(random number).

Maybe you should ask ed to remove any picture with a person of any gender in it that people like.... just to be safe.

I didn't even specify *why* i like that picture.

But let's talk about sex:

If a girl says "Ooh that boy in the denim jacket over there is SO cute!"

Is she being sexist? Really?

If she is, then my god. There is no hope.

Reactions: rSl
Sounds like it's time for a split to an offtopic discussion on forum rules and interpretations thereafter.

helped at the booth!

Yep, that was Ron who was visiting the GamesCom this year :)
Did he visit your booth? He has become a lot more skinny. And indeed thimbleweed park is going to be a great game, the mark ferrari art is stunning!

My attendance at Gamescom was once again for business, and I didn't have much spare time, but I did manage to pop by very quickly and say hi to ED, his booth/space was very cool and had a lot of people there whilst I was there. Certainly one positive I drew from Gamescom as a whole was the number of females there, it didn't feel like it was 50/50 split, but things have come a long way over the years from when big gaming events would be 99% men (and to be honest, even this year, at GDC, if you go to the programming intensive talks, it would be a huge majority of males).

There were a lot of people (males and females) doing cosplay, as usual, and a lot of them were really cool. But the heat in Cologne was intense (this is coming from someone who lives in the UK, so take it with a pinch of salt) so I felt a little sorry for some people wilting in the sun whilst waiting outside/at the train station in the bigger costumes. Although I didn't complain, as one evening, we got a train out to one of the oldest beer gardens in Cologne, so having the nice sun was pleasant!

As we were attending for business, we used a separate entrance to the halls, which doesn't really have a queue, but we walked past the main entrance, and it was  amazing how many people were waiting to get in (there was also a really good atmosphere in the queues from what I could see, a sort of buzz). I didn't see any 'trouble' of any sorts whilst there, it was somewhat bizarre to see a lack of police/security, sadly, in the UK, I can't help but feel there would be a lot more problems/trouble with so many people in a small space (especially with the heat). Anyway..!

Something that has struck me each time I have been to Gamescom is how huge the event is, if you walked around all the possible floor space in each room/hall it'd probably take a couple of hours. I was averaging 10 miles of walking per day, and that was just getting from meeting to meeting.

I hope the event was successful for ED and ultimately generates more business for him!

Sounds like it's time for a split to an offtopic discussion on forum rules and interpretations thereafter.

I already suggested that over PM, mainly about the male<->female relationship thingy. Some people here are just to sensitive it seems.

I also wanted to start a Anime/Manga/Cosplay thread but I guess it's a bad idea as long as we have some people here that see sexism in every corner, sadly. :(

My attendance at Gamescom was once again for business, and I didn't have much spare time, but I did manage to pop by very quickly and say hi to ED, his booth/space was very cool and had a lot of people there whilst I was there. Certainly one positive I drew from Gamescom as a whole was the number of females there, it didn't feel like it was 50/50 split, but things have come a long way over the years from when big gaming events would be 99% men (and to be honest, even this year, at GDC, if you go to the programming intensive talks, it would be a huge majority of males).
Around the GC there was also a Dev conference afaik including an entire pannel about female game devs and leading females in the IT industry. There are not much but at least they exist.

There were a lot of people (males and females) doing cosplay, as usual, and a lot of them were really cool. But the heat in Cologne was intense (this is coming from someone who lives in the UK, so take it with a pinch of salt) so I felt a little sorry for some people wilting in the sun whilst waiting outside/at the train station in the bigger costumes. Although I didn't complain, as one evening, we got a train out to one of the oldest beer gardens in Cologne, so having the nice sun was pleasant!
It may surprise you but statisticly UK has more sunny days than germany I've heared. ;) However, we have an insane heat wave recently here, including broken heat record with over 40 degrees Celsius.

Back