Some more of my ideas

better feel, probably backlight
Don't let the "Global LED shortage" (wink, wink) prevent you from launching! 

I just don't want the Pandora to become a laptop..
See the post from ED. 1-2mm increase
Yeah I know but IMHO the Pandora is already pushing the size limits for my liking.
Between 1-2 mm more and the size of the laptop, there's side a wide margin. You know how big is 1mm ?

Best news I've heard in ages.

I am totally down for buying one as soon as they are available. (optimistic I know)

Keyboard: Slightly improved layout, better feel, probably backlight
Please make sure there are enough keys in the right places to implement a Dvorak keymap.
I really dont think thats a high priority, guy. I get your like for your language's conventions, but Qwerty is standard and I doubt there would be a lot of support to take other layouts into consideration. I get that you're saying have the ability to do /both/ but I doubt people would agree with that even as it would be seen as wasted effort

better feel, probably backlight
Don't let the "Global LED shortage" (wink, wink) prevent you from launching! 

I just don't want the Pandora to become a laptop..
See the post from ED. 1-2mm increase
Yeah I know but IMHO the Pandora is already pushing the size limits for my liking.
Between 1-2 mm more and the size of the laptop, there's side a wide margin. You know how big is 1mm ?
Thats not too bad I know I just don't want it to start out thinking that way then it might have to be 1,2mm more etc.

Even still ,what I liked about this whole Portable gaming idea was just having a small powerful pocketable gaming device (Dingoo, Wiz) and then the Pandora with the extras like a keyboard and still small as possible. I guess if it has to be bigger then fine but if it could have a 4.3 screen and be smaller and sleeker, even better. But thats just my opinion and I see 10" phones/tablets sell good so I guess I'm just a minority.

Is m weston involved? Personally id like at least one innovative feature in the p2.

Hdmi?yes. Larger screen? yes. Better nubs? Yes. Same d-pad? Yes.

Im in for a p2 for sure. What about a little innovation though. Something cool yet doable.

Is m weston involved? Personally id like at least one innovative feature in the p2.

Im in for a p2 for sure. What about a little innovation though. Something cool yet doable.
How about a capacitive multitoch display with an active pressure-sensative wacom pen digitizer ?????

Because nobody wants your rotating screen, it's a super niche use, while there's clear reasons why a 360 degree hinge could make sense (when using Android onlym for example). You already saw how people reacted when you started your thread on this idea. 
I think a portrait-capable screen would be really cool, and would put Pandora further in the realm of handling things nothing else can (both landscape and portrait w/gaming controls).. And I don't think it's quite as niche as you do - there are a lot of arcade games that would benefit, Android apps that prefer portrait (and it'd be awkward to hold the device sideways), and DS emulation. This is something I was actually in support of for devices years ago (long before DS emulation was on anyone's mind), even though I never cared about portrait arcade emulation, because people were already gaming on their GP2X's sideways and using the volume controls as action buttons.

But it's just not practical at all for a Pandora-like clamshell device :/

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the biggest draw cards of the Caanoo was its ability to be used in a portrait orientation.

One of the biggest draw cards of the Caanoo was its ability to be used in a portrait orientation.
But i think its much more feasale to use a 360 degree hinge than a swivle hinge. 
Gadget_Show_live_2012120412_13.jpg

there are a lot of arcade games that would benefit, Android apps that prefer portrait (and it'd be awkward to hold the device sideways), and DS emulation. This is something I was actually in support of for devices years ago (long before DS emulation was on anyone's mind), even though I never cared about portrait arcade emulation, because people were already gaming on their GP2X's sideways and using the volume controls as action buttons.
If you have a 360 degrees hinge you get the same possibility to use Android in Portrait, without the disadvantage that your system would look ugly as hell with a rotating screen.  And I believe the Pandora is not that bulky that it would make it awkward to hold it this way. 

I'm sure this has been suggested before (and shot down in flames), but:

Detachable screen?

Clips back in in portrait?

Can use the bottom half as a stand alone controller ala icp2.

Option one, that the screen is unusable while detached.

Option two, that the screen can be used while plugged into the base via an extension cable.

Option three, that the screen can be used wirelessly.

Possible? Feasible?

I'm sure this has been suggested before (and shot down in flames), but:

Detachable screen?

Clips back in in portrait?

Can use the bottom half as a stand alone controller ala icp2.

Option one, that the screen is unusable while detached.

Option two, that the screen can be used while plugged into the base via an extension cable.

Option three, that the screen can be used wirelessly.

Possible? Feasible?
No, because you'll need a separate battery in the screen part (and processor to if you want it to connect wirelessly to the base), which will make the whole stuff heavy and expensive. Let's not turn the Pandora into a tablet stuff...

The key question is not "is it feasible", but rather, "is it really worth going to make something as complex as this... and if yes, for what?".

Design is not about trying to make every single function fit into a single device. It's about making choices.

All very good, I think this list does a great job capturing what the community wants.
second

Keep the Dpad!
second

So can we get a 360 hinge? Id like a tablet mode since Android will come stock
I do not think that this is really possible taking the case budget into consideration (still I want it too).

Would like the following improvements (some already mentioned....)

- Thinner overall thickness when Pandora is closed...feels a bit chunky thinkness-wise...

- Better keyboard keys...
second

So, before Christmas, right?
No he already set it will take two months

No, MWeston does not design the pcb this time.

I would also like something that distinguishes the P2 from the rest of the market, and I thought a exchangable SoC daughterboard would be it, but as it seems, I am wrong

I would also like something that distinguishes the P2 from the rest of the market, and I thought a exchangable SoC daughterboard would be it, but as it seems, I am wrong
Running Linux on this size format with keyboard and gaming controls is still going to be a differentiator. 

I think the official box art and supporting promo materials should be improved ... something along the lines of the Japanese Pandora box quality-wise
Already gave heads-up to ED on this. Hopefully he will be receptive... :)  

Back